• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gensets from GL today

fireman5199

I think I just won one out of Mechanicsburg that ended yesteray. Says I 'm the high bidder but no invoice has shown up yet. It is a MEP-002A w/ ASK on a M116A2 with 5,373, hours on it. Got it for $1300. Cargo cover, trailer and generator looks good from pics on GL so we shall see. This is my first win on GL so is it normal for the invoice not be there right at 12:00am?

Edit: Yupp I won it...now the adventure begins :shock:

Last edited:

Keith_J

More like 10,000 hours. Seriously, three compression rings plus oil control? Cast iron heads WITH valve seat inserts and bronze guides? The wrist pin bushing is even full pressurize lubricated with the connecting rod gun drilled from the large end. Of course this also cools the piston.

The weakest link is the injection system, worn cam lobes or button wear can retard timing, this slightly reduces efficiency. Fatigued springs in the injectors can reduce spray efficiency. All of this can be fixed.

One key of engine life, aside from proper PMCS, is engine loading. Aircraft reciprocating engines operate most of their life producing 75% of their rated power, usually for 1500 to 2000 hours. They do it producing 1/2 Hp per cubic inch of displacement at 2500-2800 RPM

These MEP-002A/003A engines have 35 cubic inch cylinders and each cylinder produces only 5 Hp at rated output. Sure, it is at 1800 RPM but it is also diesel which means higher cylinder pressures. But the specific output is 3-1/2 times less than an aircraft engine. Which means these engines should last at least 3-1/2 times as long as an aircraft engine or 7000 hours. But engine life isn't linear, 10,000 hours is still conservative. Again, proper PMCS.

Now, about the actual output of a 002A's engine. The TM lists the rated power at 8.9 Hp at rated output of 5 kW. In reality, Onan rated the engine at 16.5 Hp. Quite a difference between actual and rated.

Now, this isn't a suggestion you run them at twice the rated output. Doing so will reduce the life of the engine.

Isaac-1

Don't worry about the invoice yet, sometimes they can be a bit slow, I had one that did not show up until about noon the next day, I was just about to contact them about the invoice when it showed up.

Ike

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bid on the ones locally and they went for over double what I was willing to put into them. Someone got a deal with the one as it was 39 hours on the clock & the trailer still had the plastic wrapping the tools in the box.

That Genny went for $2610, or right close to it. I looked it over really well. Nothing showed wear - the bottom of the trailer was pristine. I thought it was a great buy at the price. It probably won't run because everybody was drooling on it!

derf

Man, I'd love to pick up that 003 if it's cheaper than GL... But I think the ride down there at 10mpg might just make me bid to win in the next event up here...
I dunno about cheaper than GL prices but it runs. I need to get the 24V stator fixed and move on to making it put out AC power.

Ratch

Fireman, that was a pretty nice looking unit, I bid on it early on, but really wanted a 10kw. Let me know if you want to part with the trailer. :)

Not sure who said it, but the problem I have with propane is fueling during a widespread outage. If I need to refuel a diesel, I can get a home heating oil delivery, tap my heating oil tank, or run down to a service station with a truck mounted transfer tank.
I'd rather have diesel over gasoline, too. But I really wish I could find a coal fired gennie... :D

O.D. Fever

I got one of the 06 rebuilds on a trailer out of Lansing. Sorry Brad I bet I was bidding agaist you again. I forgot to check for your bid number. Tried to get a parts one too, but they went to high.

blybrook

Rosco,

I agree at its condition; I would be surprised if it didn't run! I had looked them both over while taking a look at another lot for a member here. I went as high as I dared on bidding, but kept an eye on where they finished. I woulda been happy with the other unit too, but it went too high for my pocket book.

Will save my $$$ for other lots in the future.

4x4e350

I got one of the 06 rebuilds on a trailer out of Lansing. Sorry Brad I bet I was bidding agaist you again. I forgot to check for your bid number. Tried to get a parts one too, but they went to high.
I figured you weren't going to pass up on these. I still think I did pretty good, even if I need to rebuild it. For what I need it for, I couldn't pass up on these, I was watching them for a while.

Ratch

I dunno about cheaper than GL prices but it runs. I need to get the 24V stator fixed and move on to making it put out AC power.
I haven't read a manual yet, but is the 24v stator absolutely necessary and deeply integrated? Is it possible to throw a 12v automotive alternator on with a 12v starter, and use one big marine battery?
Fabricating alternator brackets might be easy, and rewinding the starter for 12v might be cheap enough, too.
I'd at least explore the possibility for the sake of single battery, standard shore-powered 12v maintenance charging, 12v vehicle jump starting in outage conditions, and future compatibility.

fireman5199

Ratch Did you get to preview it? I wanted to try but didnt have time. I guess the biggest thing I'm worried about for the recovery is the brakes not working/locked up.

Ratch

Ratch Did you get to preview it? I wanted to try but didnt have time. I guess the biggest thing I'm worried about for the recovery is the brakes not working/locked up.
No, unfortunately I didn't preview any. I did preview several in a previous event a while back, and I've bought several trailers, 1 genset, and shop tools so far. I've found the auction pictures seem to always look better than reality, but that doesn't mean it's going to be bad. Sometimes it is, but this one looks fine.
I suspect it didn't bid as others because the ASK hides a lot and it could be missing stuff underneath that.

But I have several M101's and would like an M116 (an M101 without sides, more or less).

How far do you have to haul it?
I'd bring an 8-lug spare tire, magnetic taillights, and not worry all that much about it. If it's fubar for the road, you can always leave it and come back another day. Or, rent/borrow an open car hauler trailer and go pick it up with that.
Make sure the genset is completely secured to the trailer;
the wheels aren't wobbling on the bearings;
the bolts on the brake actuator are tight (to the a-frame and the actual lunette coupler).
Then go...

fireman5199

I never thought about the ASK...thanks LOL. Yeah I got my tool load out ready to go. I have to go about 135 miles with it back to VA. I am going to look for U-Haul places near there just in case. The one thing I am having trouble with is finding info on the trailer in the TM's or a TM for the trailer. Thanks for the info.

Ratch

It's an M116a2, which is the frame for the M101a2. Look up a tech manual for the M101 and you'll be all set, it covers the 116 as well. If I were local, I'd love to give you a hand with recovery, but I'm a bit far...

fireman5199

Duh...lol thanks for that never thought about them being related. Thanks for wanting to help too, I got a co-worker coming with me that was a mechanic so I should be set. I think he is more excited than I am...maybe because its not his $$$ LOL

ctfjr

Some of the units at Meade were real clean, but way out of my price range.
My son & I both picked up 003's. He lives not too far from Ft Meade & will trailer it up here (CT) next week for Thanksgiving.

He inspected all the 003's in the Meade auction. The ones we got are both less than 5 hrs on the clocks and have refurb tags only a few years old. . .

I am certainly a newbie here and have been lurking for a while. Sure do appreciate the wealth of knowledge here!

I am an EE and have been looking through the manuals / schematics. I have some ideas about converting some of the electrical already :) just can't leave well enough alone!

Roadracer86

My son & I both picked up 003's. He lives not too far from Ft Meade & will trailer it up here (CT) next week for Thanksgiving.

He inspected all the 003's in the Meade auction. The ones we got are both less than 5 hrs on the clocks and have refurb tags only a few years old. . .

I am certainly a newbie here and have been lurking for a while. Sure do appreciate the wealth of knowledge here!

I am an EE and have been looking through the manuals / schematics. I have some ideas about converting some of the electrical already :) just can't leave well enough alone!
Hi all,
We snagged one of the Fort Meade Gens yesterday as well and heading down next Monday the week of Thanksgiving to pick it up. Does anyone know the the lunnette height on the trailer? I'm hoping to haul this trailer with an Audi Q5 which is rated at 4400 towing capacity. I just need to get the trailer level so I can haul it back to PA. Any suggestions or threads you guys can provide to check this beast out before starting would be appreciated.

Anybody have links to the manuals on the MEP 003's that would be awesome, thanks in advance. Sorry for all the questions right off the bat since this is all new to me; we've worked off box store gensets over the years and the last outage in PA for 7 days convinced us to upgrade to something more robust.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks