• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gin Poles Finished

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a very good friend at work who could do the emotional seeing but he got very cagey just talking about the boom line and would not even check my work.

What we REALLY need are the specs of an actual kit.
Well, I have an actual military issued "A" frame winch kit, BUT it is for the little truck (M37). I have used it, (lifted the rear end off the ground because I didn't have any weight in the bed) decades ago. They are a handy and a slick little accessory. Not too much work for a couple of young guys and very helpful for pulling engines, etc.

The kit, and almost all the pieces are heavy. The case that the kit comes in, with all the pieces in it, is right at the maximum for two guys to lift. Four guys lifting it means you can carry it a little ways, but not far.
Ah yes... The wise will flee!

Lifting and Hoisting have been historically PROVEN to be GOLD MINES for LIABILITY ATTORNEYS and their (injured or killed) plaintiffs.

If used commercially, OSHA would "love" to become your friend. Daily (before use) inspections, operator certifications and Annual inspections are but a few of their requirements beyond initial design certification and product TESTING.

Hence, any engineer worth his credentials will RUN from any questions whatsoever.

Even if you render all the assurances in the world that you will hold them harmless, they cannot foresee the future application of your production efforts, use, or any future owner's stupidity.

Therefore, we are on our own in most cases, and as a result assume ALL responsibility and liability for our inventions.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would it be helpful to have a steel "bow" across the bed where the first stake pockets are behind the cab, maybe with a fixed roller in the middle?

That way, you could install the gin poles to the bumper, leaving the top ends on the ground. The line could then run from a small winch at the rear (wherever in the rear of the bed you attach it) over that bow and down to the pole ends, so you can lift the poles with that cable, without interfering with the cab. Once the poles come off the ground and up, the cable would lift off that "bow" and roller.

Maybe that would make setting this up and breaking it down easier for one-person operation. The Norwegians designed a full ROP that attaches at the first stake pocket location, so I could see a guide "bow" that only takes the pressure from the unloaded gin poles as an easy add-on.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I am not now, nor have I ever, used my "A" frame commercially. I don't even want to use my winch anymore (both are way too much work, and my allergy to work has gotten way worse with the passing years) let alone the "A" frame.

If I had a number of MVs and a decent shop / garage / outbuilding I might set it up on the "yard truck" for pulling engines, etc., but if I had the time, space and money for that I would probably have a forklift which would be much more useful. So, it probably still wouldn't get used.

So, the "A" frame is just a seldom seen accessory and engineering oddity.

tobyS

Yea Red, I was thinking about the rear mount and having a front bed mounted winch.

rustystud

Would it be helpful to have a steel "bow" across the bed where the first stake pockets are behind the cab, maybe with a fixed roller in the middle?

That way, you could install the gin poles to the bumper, leaving the top ends on the ground. The line could then run from a small winch at the rear (wherever in the rear of the bed you attach it) over that bow and down to the pole ends, so you can lift the poles with that cable, without interfering with the cab. Once the poles come off the ground and up, the cable would lift off that "bow" and roller.

Maybe that would make setting this up and breaking it down easier for one-person operation. The Norwegians designed a full ROP that attaches at the first stake pocket location, so I could see a guide "bow" that only takes the pressure from the unloaded gin poles as an easy add-on.
I was actually thinking along those same lines ! I have several "boat" winches that would work great for lifting the Gin Poles. They would be easy to mount and dismount when needed.

rustystud

tobyS

rusty, look at 3" schedule 40. I think the schedule 80 is a bit heavy. You can probably handle a 14' piece and not have a joint to worry about. The 3" sch 40 and 2 1/2 sch 80 both weigh a bit over 7.5#/foot, but I think the larger dia will have better buckle strength. I couldn't find a chart with the compression strength when used structurally to confirm that however.

Last edited: