• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gin Poles Finished

jesusgatos

How would a set up like this work on a M109? On each top corner of the box there is an eye for lifting of the box, would these eyes be able to handle the load? You could cross the cables in the form of an X to help stabalize the A-frame. Just a thought for discussion.
I've been thinking about this, and haven't decided how to tackle it yet, but I will be carrying some type of an A-frame with me in/on my M109. It anyone knows what type of side-loads those lifting points on the box can take, I'd sure love to know.

jesusgatos

Seems to me that the box is around 1500 to 2000 lbs. I looked for some specs but did not find any. (all though I didn't look to hard. :roll: ) I will look to see how the box is mounted to the frame later.
The M109 boxes weight closer to 4000lbs, and the box is bolted to the frame with a 1/2-dozen or so bolts on springs on each side. I don't think the box will shift on it's mounts because the hardware locates it pretty well, but I AM worried about it pulling on the top of the box. My M109 is full of expensive wood cabinets and if the box starts to deform, those cabinets are not going to be happy.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What kind of weight are you thinking? I have run a 6x6 on the top of my 109 and had the end stick off the back. I have picked up full 55gal drums of diesel with no problem. Loaded some bid I beams that way too. Guy said the one was probably 800lbs. No problems yet. Have you see the pics from the member in Fl that gutted his? That would show you how they are constructed. User name escapes me right now, sorry.

vinny-socom1

What kind of weight are you thinking? I have run a 6x6 on the top of my 109 and had the end stick off the back. I have picked up full 55gal drums of diesel with no problem. Loaded some bid I beams that way too. Guy said the one was probably 800lbs. No problems yet. Have you see the pics from the member in Fl that gutted his? That would show you how they are constructed. User name escapes me right now, sorry.

green-gator is his logo, I would think running off of the 109 box would work for lighter loads, but I would be worried about damage to the box on the heavier stuff.

I'm still waiting on the pics of the 5ton rear gin pole set up!!!

Vinny

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any sheaves/blocks used should be compatible with the cable running over them; i.e., the groove in the sheave must not be too big or the cable will flatten-out and that's not good for it. If you're using 1/2" wire rope (cable), then the groove in the sheave/pulley should be 1/2" or slightly larger, not smaller and not too big.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some threads can be useful long after the OP is done; I have been doing the math to calculate the boom line size (lots of trigonometry and such); I got pricing of boom steel Friday.

rustystud

What we need is for some engineer type to figure out the actual size of pipe needed for say a 12ft to 16ft gin pole. It needs to be able to hold a 2ton load. Sound about right ? That way we're not buying extra heavy tubing because we are guessing about it's load carrying ability. That kind of guessing can get really expensive really fast.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
picture5.jpgpicture5.jpgThis is is all home built - no engineers. To raise the boom, I run the line back to the headache rack to a loop fastened there, being careful not to get too close to the delicate stuff/body. What I know to be wrong with it, are the attaching points, at the top of the boom. They should centered to the center line of the legs. I have other pictures, but as you can see, I haven't mastered the "uploading" yet, and afraid that too much will be erased. The picture here dates from the early '70s. I still have the setup, but haven't used it in years, as I now have other means. She was my daily driver for years, & seldom removed the boom - just lowered it some for travel. There is a sheet of 1/2" plate in the rear, unless I needed more, like a welder. I once picked 500 gallons of fuel, with jack stands under the bumper. I like to think that I am smarter now. A headache is what I suggest for the 6x6 boom.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I remember, the tubing is 2&1/2", sched 40. Nothing fancy. I put a slight bend in the boom once, but was able to bend it back, then I put another truss on the under side of it. I once needed to to set some trusses & needed another 8 or 10 feet of reach, so I made a little jib for it, to match the top one, but was only lifting several hundred pounds.

I want to stress the need to be very careful with a boom. The hazards are often unforeseen - especially overhead wires!

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a very good friend at work who could do the emotional seeing but he got very cagey just talking about the boom line and would not even check my work.

What we REALLY need are the specs of an actual kit.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I have an actual military issued "A" frame winch kit, BUT it is for the little truck (M37). I have used it, (lifted the rear end off the ground because I didn't have any weight in the bed) decades ago. They are a handy and a slick little accessory. Not too much work for a couple of young guys and very helpful for pulling engines, etc.

The kit, and almost all the pieces are heavy. The case that the kit comes in, with all the pieces in it, is right at the maximum for two guys to lift. Four guys lifting it means you can carry it a little ways, but not far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks