• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gin Poles Finished

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, I have a question about the feet you made.

Why did you not just take the feet that are welded to the base of the pipe and rotate them 90° so that they could go directly in the d-ring clevis, as opposed to the way you did it, having to build an additional "foot" that would link the base of the pipe to the clevis?

Was there a clearance issue with the pipe not being able to go all the way down?

Thanks

C

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got that massive snatch block from warthog today (what a awesome guy!)

:funny:

How do I get them up. I have a large tree in my yard, I throw a rope over a big limb abour 20' in the air, tie it to my winch cable, and hoist the cable in the tree and tie off the rope

(on the ground, the cable goes through the snatch block, then up to the limb and I will run the winch alittle then move forward etc. til the poles are alittle over 60 degree then hook my guide wire up)

Real easy, just a pain to do. Reverse the process coming down.

I would say the whole setup weighs 300 or less. Well without the snatch blocks its 50lb itself.
nopics

StreetbikeDepot

OK, I have a question about the feet you made.

Why did you not just take the feet that are welded to the base of the pipe and rotate them 90° so that they could go directly in the d-ring clevis, as opposed to the way you did it, having to build an additional "foot" that would link the base of the pipe to the clevis?

Was there a clearance issue with the pipe not being able to go all the way down?

Thanks

C
The reason that the feet had to be there is to compensate for the changing angles from the poles fully extended to fully collapsed. If they where not there the poles would bind up. If they where a set length pole I could have built them the way you mentioned.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason that the feet had to be there is to compensate for the changing angles from the poles fully extended to fully collapsed. If they where not there the poles would bind up. If they where a set length pole I could have built them the way you mentioned.

If you think about it, thats the way the towbars work. Gives it the up-down, left-right movement. Limits binding.

KsM715

Is there any reason you coulnt put some wood blocks (cribbing) between the springs and the frame to keep them from compressing? or something like some big jack stands under the front of the frame or bumper like stabilizers on a crane to keep all the extra weight off the front tires? This isnt used for lifting and transporting anything right? Just lifting.

hoopsoft

If thats 2000 lbs I wouldn't want to lift 3000 lbs, it was on the bump stops and I felt like I could have gone to the back of the truck and lifted the rear tires off the ground, seem like very little weigh was on them.

oh yeah, my first lift I wasn't on even ground and the load started to swing to the left I put it down quick I could see a bad thing coming.

supporting the front is a must, streetbike suggested air bags maybe, I like the bumper support, but most of the time I'm gonna want to at least move back a few feet so I can set it on a trailer or something.

Last edited:

StreetbikeDepot

Thats a good idea with the outriggers, they would add side to side stability and would keep the wieght off the suspension. They would be easy to build, I have a design in mind, I'll talk with ya later about it Jeff.

Last edited:

yeager1

Great setup. For people worried about capacity, I have a friend with a M818 with gin poles like these run off the rear of his truck. It has a tall grill guard that the winch cable runs over (through a snatch block) and up to the poles. The winch cable clears the cab easily and the stabilizer cables attach behind the cab. Very similar setup, but puts the weight on the rear duels. No worries about stability or capacity if you need to go big

KsM715

Dang now Im gonna have to find a winch for my truck and start paying streetbike to fab some more stuff for me:-D.

jwaller

there is no way I'd stand near one of those front tires. very cool idea and I really like it but some higher capacity tires are a must.

yeager1

got any pics of this 818 setup?
Maybe, I'll have to look. It worked really well, cleared the hood and top nicely and could lift enought weight to lift the front end off the ground with no ill effects to the rear end/suspension, and that front end is super heavy!

wdbtchr

Fabbing a set

I have a question about the pipe you used for your gin poles, you said you used drill pipe I think, did you use that because it was available or for structural reasons? Of all the junk I have laying around the only pipe I have on hand is some short peices(around 6 or 7 feet) of 2 inch heavy wall pipe. I could weld them together but wonder if they would be heavy enough. Any thoughts anybody?

I guess I'll have to find some towbar feet too, I checked on EPAY but there's none close and they are heavy to ship. Anybody near MO got a set they don't need for the 5 ton?