• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gin Poles Finished

tm america

wow those are some long gin poles.when are the kits going on sale :?:nice work . so do you have to take the tail gate off to run the cable to the pintle hook

wdbtchr

Interesting, any idea how much the front of a duece weights? I curious how you attached the cables in the rear of your truck. I have a 5 ton dump and was wondering if I could use the attachment points at the top of the tail gate which are free now since I'm using the "rocker' setup. Would make it quick easy place to hookup.

wdbtchr

I must be blind or sumptin' even with the search I can't find the front gin poles in the 10 manual. I found the rear gin poles for the pipe line truck, but not front ones.

Also what is the smallest diameter snatch block you can use with the winch? I haven't found a military one and was wondering about how big a sheave is required.

wdbtchr

Still lookin' for information and ideas for a set of gin poles for the front of my M51A2. Haven't found any pipe yet for the gin poles of any size, but I've been looking for wire rope for the guy wires. I'm figuring on using two, one from each side of the dump bed using the upper latches for the tailgate instead of one from the pintle. I've got the tailgate set up as a "rocker".

Now here's is where I need some expert opinions, I found some 1/2" wire rope with a 30K# breaking strength. Does any one know the safe working load when used in a straight pull as a guy wire for a gin pole using two wires? I can't find a calculator as they mainly are used for pulleys and winch situations.

I also found a non-military snatch block with a 6" sheave and a 6 ton working load capacity. That would be way more than I plan on lifting, I'm only thinking of lifting metal trusses for a new shop I want to build.

Thoughts or opinions?:popcorn:

wdbtchr

Does anyone have a snatch block for sale larger than 6" diameter? If not I guess I'll go with the 6" nonmilitary one I found although it seems a little small. The manual calls for 12", but I haven't found any larger than 6".

SGTStewart

How would a set up like this work on a M109? On each top corner of the box there is an eye for lifting of the box, would these eyes be able to handle the load? You could cross the cables in the form of an X to help stabalize the A-frame. Just a thought for discussion.

Big CASE

Does anyone have a snatch block for sale larger than 6" diameter? If not I guess I'll go with the 6" nonmilitary one I found although it seems a little small. The manual calls for 12", but I haven't found any larger than 6".
I have one , it is a 30ton twin line

Attachments

SGTStewart

wow, interesting questions.. I don't think they would hold a great deal of force, I just couldn't give you a figure though.
Seems to me that the box is around 1500 to 2000 lbs. I looked for some specs but did not find any. (all though I didn't look to hard. :roll: ) I will look to see how the box is mounted to the frame later.