• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plugs

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have cross posted this in 4 threads. STOP

Also, your one bad experience does not make you the authority on Glow Plugs.

Your now on moderation. That means a moderator will need to approve of your posts, before they post.

If you cannot use out forum appropriately, you will be banned.

kentuckycucv

DogHead you recomend AC60s in all of these posts. You are the act like the expert on glow plugs. i dissagree with your OPINION and now im on Moderation??? Come on.

Miah

I've been running AC 60Gs in my 1009 for at least 3 months now & on top of that because of other issues(dying starter) it's always been hard starting & I've needed a push button for every single warm start.

So not only have I used them with the stock controller card, but I've also had to manually bump them multiple times per day & I haven't had catastrophic failure...yet. Never checked my resistor to verify it's not over-juicing them either.

These GPs are supposed to be non-swelling, self-limiting, whatever-you-wanna-call-em, but like anything they can't overcome other issues in the system. They can only work as advertised if the rest of the system is too.

kentuckycucv

Sorry I was a bit frustrated... I guess I need to do the "by pass" the resistor if I use the ac60s. i saved my 3 good wellmans BC someone said hold on to a couple in case you need them. i put the 3 wellmans in and the truck started right up. Im going to read up some more and try to figure out what i want to do. Since I have been adding veggie oil to my diesel, maybe I should do the push button... i dont know Im just bumbed that I fried out a set of new plugs. I must have a bad connection on one of them or more and caused the domino burn out. Oh well I am saving tons of money on fuel so I will spend it on parts.[thumbzup]

Last edited:

Barrman

I am not an expert of glow plugs either. However, you fail to mention when you tell everybody about how bad the 60G's are a few things. Such as you are running 50% or more non diesel fuel in your truck, you had intermittent power problems recently with your engine and you posted something about "driving on the floor above 75 mph to blow it out" or something to that effect.

Again, I am not an expert and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night either. But, black smoke out the pipes, low power and a driver holding it to the floor normally add up to pretty high exhaust temps. Which also means really high cylinder head temps. Could your fuel and other engine problems have led to the glow plug failure?

DrJekl

I have AC plugs in one truck and HMMWV plugs in my 1009. Both work just fine and have lasted for at least a year. The ones I have burned up died for a reason. It was never the fault of the glow plug itself. if you are smoking plugs, there may be a reason. Find the reason, solve the problem.

I had a Soldier burn up ten boxes on an aircraft while trouble shooting. He was amazed that all ten boxes were bad and had the same failure. he could not understand that it could have been another bad component that smoked the box. It was a good thing the problem was a $2 part and the boxes were $25K a pop.

K5cucvEOD

I came back from the field to a dead 1008. It would crank just fine, but the only thing I got was fuel rich smoke out the tailpipe. The only way I got the truck running was using the newly acquired swingfire heater.
IMG_0393.jpg
I let her run for maybe 10min and the truck fired right up. Come to find out the large resister on the firewall had failed and dumped all 24V on my glow plugs, frying everyone of them. I did the 12V bypass and with new ac60s and haven't had any problems since.:driver:

tbearatkin

Just to clarify, when I did the bypass I ran 12 volts to the relay! I did the pushbutton because the 60's need more time to get hot. There is alot of conflicting replies to my question, this is why when I first put 60's in I left resistor in.

This is an old post but never heard if you fixed the problem or gave up.

But what you said disagrees with your first post where you said you have 24volts at the GP. Can't get 24volts to your GP if you did the bypass the correct way. I have had no issues with my GP after I did the bypass and it has been about a year.

SGT LongT

My 2cents If he incorrectly bypassed the resistor couldn't the GP controller also be shot as well and the only reason he can get any power to the Glow plugs is because of the push button, which might suggest even more damage than just to the Glow plugs :-?

Pops506th

=K5cucvEOD;927097Come to find out the large resister on the firewall had failed and dumped all 24V on my glow plugs, frying everyone of them. I did the 12V bypass and with new ac60s and haven't had any problems since.:driver:
I had the same thing happen. I Changed out all of the original Wellmans (there was only one or two that were good) on my M1010 for AC60G's and they fried within a couple of days. The glow plug resistor had gone bad. I did the bypass and have been trouble free (at least glow plug wise :-|) ever since.

Last edited:

tbearatkin

I had the same thing happen. I Changed out all of the original Wellmans (there was only one or two that were good) on my M1010 for AC60G's and they fried within a couple of days. The glow plug resistor had gone bad. I did the bypass and have been trouble free (at least glow plug wise :-|) ever since.

Not so sure my resistor fried or I fried it by not replacing GP as they burnt out. See a resistor needs a load on it. The GP are the load so with 8 good GP the volts to each plug is 12volts but as each one burns out then it increase the volts to the remaining plugs the next weakest burns out and then it continues. Finally when all are burnt out the resistor has nothing to help control its volts so it heats up to where it smokes.
My resistor is probably okay but decided to not have worry about having to check the GP's all the time to see which ones are burnt out. Now I only do it once a month as part of the PM.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The resistor will not heat up if there is no load at all.

It should actually get cooler with each failed glow plug. (less resistance= less heat, higher volts)

So is the procedure to disconnect the 24v lead to the resistor, and supply the GP replay with an independent 12v line?

What gauge wire do you all recommend?

Also, when putting connectors on the wires to fit the 60g's, did you just use a butt connector, and what gauge wire for that?

Time to start getting ready for another winter.

tbearatkin

The resistor will not heat up if there is no load at all.

It should actually get cooler with each failed glow plug. (less resistance= less heat, higher volts)
Guess that makes sense kind of and you do have more time under the hood they I do.

I changed my this way
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/56682-what-why-did-smoke-2.html

and I just used the existing wire for the GP's there was plenty of length left on the wires for new connections.

tbearatkin

I used a large wire because GP draw lots of amps and I wanted to make sure it was large enough to carry the load with heating it up. Direct route to the battery seemed easy route for me without having to worry about any other loads that might be connected at other 12volt spots. Some hook it up at other places you choice I suppose. Iit was a ready made battery cable with factory ends on both sides so I did not have to take the time to crimp/solder any connections.

johnjr

new observation

I've now burnt up 3 sets of glowplugs and I think I know why with alittle help. I went to check each glowplug wire to make sure its giving 12 volts to each plug and I noticed that with the key on and my manual button not pressed there is 1 volt going to the plugs all the time! Press the button it gives 12. Then I disconnected small orange wire on output side of solenoid and no more voltage going to plugs until I hit button. Can it be that this 1 volt has been what is frying my plugs?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks