• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

going back to 24v

bmorrow

does anyone have a diagram or write up on what voltage you have at certain locations under certain conditions? I'm trying to test the new wires I ran today so I don't fry anything before I go and drive it. Thanks

cucvrus

That CUCV Electric stuff is the best information you can get. it makes it easier to understand for the new guys. that TM is a bit dated and gets into way to much detail. you have the right thing right there.

bmorrow

the wiring i did today was identical to this. When hooked it up, I fried the GP relay and saw smoke. Before that, I didn't put the red and white wire from the isolated ground post to the 12v block on the drivers side and it was fine as far as I could tell. (it probably wasn't charging or something but it didn't burn up anything. )That's why I'm wanting to test it a little better. I'm not sure where I should or shouldn't get 24v because I am going from 12v to 24v on a factory 24v system.

joshuak

You posted the diagram for the charging circuit and you are talking about the glow plugs. Have seen, looked at, studied the colored electrical diagrams found here in the stickies?
I printed them out and take them with me when working on something, sometimes it helps.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

the wiring i did today was identical to this. When hooked it up, I fried the GP relay and saw smoke.

Where did you see smoke? If the stock GP system is in place, it's not unusual and not a problem to see smoke coming from the resistor on the firewall. It's producing about 1500 watts of heat when the GPs are activated, which is about what a portable electric room heater puts out. Add a little dust, or some spider webs, and that thing will smoke.

bmorrow

No clue why I say smoke. That's what I'd like to know. It's not an official gp relay. I replaced it a few months ago. I was just making sure I had the charging system right bc I didn't see smoke until I hooked up the red and white wire from passenger side alternator to the 12v hot block.

bmorrow

So after a lot of learning and reading and tracing wires, Here is what I have come up with and it would be great if someone could shed some light. As far as I can tell I have gotten everything back to factory EXCEPT the red and white wire that goes from the isolated ground on gen 2 to the hot block near the brake booster. I can not hook it up. (the ground battery post arcs everytime. I know something else will blow so I will not hook it up until I can figure it out. The first time I did my GP solenoid fried. I have 2 good alternators. One is brand new and the other passed a bench test (Isolated ground alternator). I am fighting the PO mistakes. I have traced nearly every wire under the engine bay and think everything is right. Can someone tell me some test to do or give me some ideas where to start. It will run and drive without that wire but the gen 2 light is on and the front battery is at 12.35 volts and the front is at 13volts. Please give me some advice.

bmorrow

So after a rebuild passenger side alternator, I still have no luck. When I hook up the isolated ground to the hot block on the firewall it arcs when I hook the ground battery cable. So when I take the hot wire from the rear battery to the hot block on the drivers side off, and hook up the isolated round to the same post, it doesn't arc but then I have no power to anything. Can someone shed some light?

cucvrus

May i suggest you do the CUCVRUS conversion and return it back to 24 volt stock and you will enjoy your CUCV not be working on it constantly. I did several of these reverse conversions. I may be short on harnesses but do believe they can be had if you so desire. That is the only way you will have a true CUCV. Other then that it is guess work. Because who knows what they changed? Not even the changer. He was just doing because someone on the internet told him to and how to do it. Did he ever see the guys vehicle that was telling him how to do it?????? I have seen other peoples hacked up experimental models of the CUCV. Not pretty most I see. I am trying to give you sound experienced advice.

bmorrow

Yes sir, I will look into that. I've been trying to go back to24v for a few weeks now and there is a problem somewhere and can't find where.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks