• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

going back to 24v

cucvrus

I was being a wise guy. My method is to keep it the way it was designed. It seems to work well near perfect in my opinion and over 20 years of private ownership. So I was offering you to have one of my running CUCV's to copy everything off of. That way you see first hand how it was supposed to be and still should be to get the best results and make the TM's any use at all to you.

bmorrow

That's what I need lol. I am going back to 24. But my pass alternator isn't charging bc every time I hook up the isolated ground it arcs. That's my problem right now.

bmorrow

So I made some major ground on the CUCV today. I got an idea that I should get the relays. I found the generator 2 relay was bad. It was kind of by chance. I just pulled it and put a new in and hooked the isolated ground wire to the hot block and it worked! no arcing. Just thought I would share what the solution was. The only problem I have left is the front battery is not really charging. The rear battery is at 14.5v at idle and the front is at 12.25v. Any testing I can do to make sure I have voltage where I am supposed to get? Should I have 14v on both batteries

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should have ~14.5v on each alternator when running.

Check the very top fuse (heater fuse) on the fuse block. It controls the excitor circuit for GEN1.

also remove and clean the 2pin connector at the alternator. Have you checked the voltages at that connector with the key off and the key on?

bmorrow

key on (engine on)
brown-12.25
red-12.05

key off-
brown - 0
red-12.4

new heater fuse as well
new exciter plug
also brand new alternator but there is a chance its bad. with all this electrical stuff it may be fried
also my volt meter never gets in the green. stays in the yellow

Last edited:

Keith_J

There are two relays. One for back battery alternator sense, the other for voltmeter. That the VM reads might mean the other relay isn't working.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks