• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to pick up a 1987 HMMWV

Lawdog734

Now is the opportunity for you to do what a lot of folks don't seem to do - read the tech manuals. Bone up or familiarize yourself with some of the work that you know you're going to have to do.

mrnjstrong

Yeah this is probably my best option to do at this point. The main things I'm going to order soon is the rear driveshaft and new fuel tank (to see if it even runs with what visually it needs and from what it told me on the inspection report). Of course, the fluids will all need to be drained as well once I have it in my possession, and putting new oil, filters, battery, glow plugs, and etc. Who knows, there might be more wrong then what I know about it. However, since it was government owned it must have been kept up mechanically some what, the question is for how long it was kept outside in that condition...

I also read up on installing a harness and making sure everything electrical is grounded properly, and I read something about getting S3-EESS box? Is that mandatory? I've been constantly reviewing the checklist by TedG. I'm going to post some pictures of the current condition of the Humvee. If some members can just look at it and tell me what possibly needs to be replaced that would help me a lot! If not, I'll find out on my own once I have it.

Hummer 14.jpgHummer 12.jpgHummer 13.jpgHummer 15.jpgHummer 17.jpgHummer 19.jpgHummer 20.jpgHummer 21.jpgHummer 22.jpgHummer 1.jpgHummer 2.jpg

Last edited:

tage

Least the drive shaft is taken out for you to drop the fuel tank. Doesn't look like it's in the back under all the doors though.
I would get it running first before you dump a bunch of money into that engine... As in, invest in bare min of parts to see if the engine is good.

Hmmwv's are quite simple to work on. They're pretty much like an older diesel tractor, but with some different parts. You will struggle bleeding the fuel system. Nothing wrong with that. You likely have never worked on a diesel. You will learn quick, or go broke from paying someone to do it for you...!!

Budget for some 12 bolt rims later on.

mrnjstrong

Least the drive shaft is taken out for you to drop the fuel tank. Doesn't look like it's in the back under all the doors though.
I would get it running first before you dump a bunch of money into that engine... As in, invest in bare min of parts to see if the engine is good.

Hmmwv's are quite simple to work on. They're pretty much like an older diesel tractor, but with some different parts. You will struggle bleeding the fuel system. Nothing wrong with that. You likely have never worked on a diesel. You will learn quick, or go broke from paying someone to do it for you...!!

Budget for some 12 bolt rims later on.
Yeah that's what my friend and I were just talking about, we want to see what's operational and what's not, and to only get the mandatory things that are needed. And yeah you guessed it, personally I have no experience working on a diesel. However, I do have some kind of experience working on a truck, I used to own one that was a gas job. It was an 02 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ 10" Skyjacker lift & a 4" body lift + 40" mud grappler tires.... talk about a big pain in the ass when my track bar snapped. I would be more on the terms of doing the work myself as well because I know I will be paying an arm and a leg for having a shop do it. The only thing close to having a shop do something would be a paint job. I will also put that on my list for new 12 bolt rims. Thank you!

cq141

congrats on the new hmmwv if you don't mind what did you end up paying
you can get 24 volt head lights on ebay that's were I found mine and a keyed ignition too
I hear people are putting a 454 in these things
I ended up paying close to 12 thousand after everything was said and done
that was with me going to pick it up myself but other than the head light that was the only thing wrong with it

mrnjstrong

congrats on the new hmmwv if you don't mind what did you end up paying
you can get 24 volt head lights on ebay that's were I found mine and a keyed ignition too
I hear people are putting a 454 in these things
I ended up paying close to 12 thousand after everything was said and done
that was with me going to pick it up myself but other than the head light that was the only thing wrong with it
I won the bid for $5250 and when the tax and the titling fees were all said and done it came out to be $6236. I have a buddy with a flatbed so we're going to go down to Virginia to pick it up once the EUC is all cleared.

mrnjstrong

Needs work but still not bad
Yeah it is, I mean yeah I could've spent more on one that didn't need as much work and was operational but I didn't want to have a bidding war with other guys on the auction site. I looked for one when the time was almost up, this one had only 1 bid so I said why not and placed a bid on it and I got it. All of the others were going up to at least 10g or more, heck no... I used to bid a lot of Ebay for example... no more of that kind of auction crap for me! lol

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hoefler got a steal on his, said it was not operational. Started right up, missing a door, no big deal. You never know until you get it, unless they posted a pic or description of a big hole in the block or something.... 10K is still a good deal for one that needs basically nothing. I got mine for 11 a M1038, the hawkers were dead, but I got them back alive, glowplug system works, but they heave to be totally dead. $60 for glowplugs and I should be good to go. Windsheild wiper is the only thing I found not operating. Winch works, came with the working controls in the box even. Had some stitching on the window messed up, bought a new door, had a door handle missing, bought a door handle kit.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks