• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

goldneagle's M936 Wrecker recovery and restore thread

goldneagle

I won a wrecker on GL last September at a great price. I had Jeff Davis recover it for me to his compound near Camp Shelby. Upon inspection it was determined that it was not road worthy. Since I had additional trucks recovered by Jeff I did not get a chance to bring her home until today. I made several trips to Hattiesburg, MS to work on the truck in order to make it safe to drive the 85 miles home.

Lucky for me there were plenty of donor trucks for replacement parts at the compound. Jeff has good prices and was helpful in the repair process. I was lucky to make a deal on trading my G177 tires for Goodyear 14.00-20 tires and rims.

Yesterday and today I had additional help with the recovery. Doug (Trailboss) was kind enough to help get the truck ready for the roar trip. Checking all the fluids, testing tail lights, swapping tires and many other chores. We were going to recover the truck Monday, but the tire exchange and other tasks took a lot longer that we anticipated. Late afternoon Monday we were testing the tail lights and found the brake lights did not function. One headlight was burned out, and Jeff was not done going through the accessories that go with the wrecker. My truck was used as storage for surplus wrecker accessories. I am happy with the supplies I ended up with. Jeff gave me a good deal.

We decided it was too risky to make the trip late in the day. We decided to come back Tuesday and finish prepping the truck without rushing. I am glad we did.

Today Doug topped off the differential fluids as well as transmission oil. He also replaced the brake switch with one salvaged from a donor truck. I replaced the dead headlight with a used one I had from upgrading to LED headlights. Josh (Jeff's assistant) helped install a new throttle cable assembly. He also finished sorting through the goodies that I get with the truck. When we tested the truck again the tail lights functioned properly including brake lights. Headlight worked. Throttle worked as it should. Replaced the round mirrors and topped off the transmission oil. Brakes worked great and we were ready for the road.

After a well deserved lunch break we went back to the compound and moved the wrecker to a better location where we could hook up the M1008 to it for the trip home. We stored the 14.00-20 spare tire on Doug's trailer. We hit the road and managed good time getting home. Pulled up in front of the house around 3:30 PM. We unhooked the M1008 from the tow bars and towing lights. I drove the M1008 into the side yard and parked it. We unloaded the 14.00-20 spare tire into the yard. I backed the M936 into the front driveway and shut it off. Home safe!

During the trip the truck handled well and no problems at all. Only issue was my aching back. That springer seat is a back killer!

I want to thank Jeff Davis (CSM Davis) and Josh for all their help and kindness. I especially want to thank Doug (Trailboss) for all his help in getting the truck ready for the road.

Attachments

goldneagle

Nice looking truck !! You won't have to worry about finding it at a rally with those tan rims ;-)
She definitely has some surface rust to deal with but no cancer. We replaced the hard top with a really nice one. Yep I bet they came off a tan M931A2 or M923A2 since they had the CTIS modules still attached to them when he dropped them off yesterday. They will eventually be repainted flat black or green. I like the green wheels I got for my M923 so I will probably with the green.

Thank you for your compliment.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to thank Jeff Davis (CSM Davis) and Josh for all their help and kindness. I especially want to thank Doug (Trailboss) for all his help in getting the truck ready for the road.
Don't forget Juanprado was pulling parts on at least one very hot day!

After being singled into a M936A1, GE was doing 55-57 mph on the flats and up to 62 mph on the gentle hill downslopes. The truck went from a non-running parts truck into a working/driving wrecker with a lot of hard work in the south Mississippi summer sun!

Wreckers are very useful to move heavy green iron, and I'm sure GE will enjoy playing with his new toy.

goldneagle

Don't forget Juanprado was pulling parts on at least one very hot day!

After being singled into a M936A1, GE was doing 55-57 mph on the flats and up to 62 mph on the gentle hill downslopes. The truck went from a non-running parts truck into a working/driving wrecker with a lot of hard work in the south Mississippi summer sun!

Wreckers are very useful to move heavy green iron, and I'm sure GE will enjoy playing with his new toy.
Thank you for the reminder. Juan was helpful in pulling ail lights from donor trucks for me to replace the missing ones on my wrecker. That was on July 3rd in the afternoon after we got to see a live tank demonstration at Camp Shelby. Josh had the task of removing the main pin on the boom and replacing it with the proper one that he removed from a donor truck. Still need to retap the openings for the grease zerts. They got distorted from hammering the pin into place. Thank god Jeff had several junk wreckers that were being scrapped out that we were able to get the donor parts from. Saved a lot of cost.

goldneagle

2 days after bringing the wrecker home I finally had time to move it to a spot I had cleared for it in my back yard. When I tried to start the truck the Battery Switch did not turn on the instruments as it should have. When I tried the start switch I got nothing. I tried over and over again with no luck. I could hear clicking from the black box but that was it. I tested the truck with a spare black box and had instruments and she would turn over. So I installed the replacement black box permanently.

When I tried to start the truck it cranked but did not start. I tried several times and no luck.. Also had no ether to use. As the batteries drained I added my 24 volt battery charger to help the truck crank. Ended up draining the batteries. I tried to replace the batteries with a newer set. When I tried to crank the engine, nothing!

I tried using a screwdriver to jump across the starter with no luck. Tried to tap on the stater with a hammer and not luck. According to several member's advice it could be a stuck solenoid on the starter. I will remove the solenoid when weather permits.

Attachments

goldneagle

Saturday between raindrops I installed a Wilton 8" vise on my wrecker. I got a great deal on it on Ebay. I had to drill 2 new 1/2" holes in the steel plate on the bumper. The other 2 holes lined up with the new base.

I also received a replacement knob to repair the broken Spring Brake Override switch. I took the original knob and cut off the broken neck. I then used a air sander to sand the back of the knob flat. I glued the old knob on top of the new Tractor Brake Knob.

Today I went outside to try and install the new knob. After removing the roll pin I rid to install the knob -only to find out the shaft on the switch was larger than the hole on the neck of the knob! I ended up using a 7/16" drill bit by hand to enlarge the hole in the neck of the new knob. I did it by letting the bit dig into the plastic just a bit and then trying to pull i out. By doing that I was able to slowly enlarge the hole without destroying the plastic knob. Once drilled out I was able to install the knob on the switch.

I also installed the missing round mirror on the driver's side of the truck.

Attachments

goldneagle

I pulled the solenoid off the starter the other day. (More detail in my other thread on starter issues.) Starter shop tested it and found to be defective. (will not pull the plunger back at all). Ordered a new solenoid. Will hopefully arrive Thursday. Will troubleshoot the engine starting issue once I get the engine to crank.

Another part number for the solenoid is 66-602 solenoid for Leece-Neville Starters.

Last edited:

goldneagle

After reinstalling the solenoid I tried to crank the truck. No cranking at all. Tried to bypass the switch by jumping the terminals on the starter. Still no crank. Took out my meter and tested the terminals on the starter motor while jumping the terminals on the solenoid. I got 24 volts at the starter motor terminals -so the solenoid is now working properly. All connections were tight.

Today with my neighbor's help we pulled the starter. I was worried that we might have trouble with removing the bolts but all went well. Took the starter to a starter shop in Biloxi, MS. (1 hour each direction) Guy at the local starter shop no longer repairs starters. Just get recon or new replacements.

After bench testing the starter I got the bad news. She's fried! Stuck brushed caused nasty arcing that burned up the innards. Gonna cost me $329 plus tax to have it rebuilt. He was taking it apart when I left ready for new parts as soon as they come in in the morning. So I should have the starter back tomorrow. The starter is a Leece-Neville and they don't have a source of aftermarket parts. So all the parts will be OEM. Should last my lifetime.

goldneagle

After a slight delay waiting for parts to recondition my starter, the starter shop call late yesterday to let me know I could pick up the starter this morning. I drove to Biloxi and picked it up early this afternoon. Looks like new! We will install it tomorrow.

Attachments

Last edited:

goldneagle

Installed the starter myself today. Was not that bad. Bolts cooperated and went right in. Got it all wired in and hooked up the batteries. Tried to crank but batteries were low! Used the slave cable to the M1008 and she cranked nicely. Had to use ether to start but she caught on and ran on her own. Left her running while I started my other trucks to play musical chairs MV style. Got all the trucks parked where I wanted. Finally! I will work on the fuel issue when I get a chance. At least the starter issue is over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks