• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got stuck with commercial plates in ny, whats the weight of an 08?

Capt.Marion

Thats why most full sized pickup trucks get plated as Commercial Vehicles here in NY, even if all you do is drive to town and back for milk. The weight makes it a comm vehicle. Also sucks that you cant go on Parkways here in NY with comm plates.
It's funny, because I tend to see a LOT more pickups, alot bigger than any CUCV, on the Taconic. And they're all flying past me on the left at 80 mph...

shadow

I can feel your pain in regards to having to get a higher license for the truck. When I bought my M275A1 from a local guy, it took almost an hour at the window because the lady was so lost. It had a normal title but it was in the early 1980's. She didn't know what "REO" was on the title and wanted me to enplane it to her. I said maybe diamond reo (which I learned later coming here was wrong). She socked me for 8 ton plates. The truck is about 6 tons so I went back later to try and get them reduced but they said I have to get it weight from the dmv to make it any lower because 8 tons is as low as they can go without a weight receipt. I can't do that because it would never pass any inspection. (bad tires, cracked glass, light problems) I ended up putting it in storage and I had to fight with another person because she didn't want to put it in storage because she was so sure I was going to take it out of storge in less then a years time and it would be a waste of time and money to turn the plates in. (It's been in storage over 2 years now:p)

I normally drive a 78 chevy k10 but I don't know what the military versions weigh. I think the normal k30's have dana 60 or dana 70 axles so I would imagine it weighs real close to 6,000lbs.

The only time I got a weight on my truck was when I was at the scrap yard and I was at 6,300 loaded and 4,800 something unloaded and I'm just a half ton pickup. (overloaded a little :grin:)

BEASTMASTER

reminds of a time way back i got thrown off a parkway in jersey in my p/u. the cop said if i had a cap on it , there'd be no problem??? went down the street, found another on ramp, and booked for mass.

datsunaholic

It's funny, here in WA I've had 2 different titling experiences. When I titled my Deuce, the lady at the DOL just asked me what I wanted the GVWR to be. It was printed right on the SF97 "Gross Weight 23,050 lbs". She put in 20,000 for the title, but the reg says 23050. Dunno.

Now, when I went to re-title my F250, which is a standard, 1971 2WD F250 "Camper Special" they told me I needed to get a scale weight empty... Bit of a problem because I was trying to split the title from being a Motorhome (it had a rotten cabover slide in I wanted to get rid of that somehow my Grandfather managed to get registered as a motorhome) on it. Couldn't ditch the camper with car plates on the truck. Fortunately, one of the ladies in the back office said they actually did have a book that went back past 1971, so she got the numbers out of that. But... she took the numbers for a standard, F250 not the longbed Camper Special so my title is just a tad wrong.

Crash_AF

Well, the transportation data TM 43-0001-31 states that the shipping weight of a 1008 is 5900 but a 1008A1 is 5200.

I would find a non DOT scale (moving co, rock/gravel co, truck stop, scrap yard, etc) and see what the weight of it is. If you don't need a slip, some of them will just tell you the weight.

Good luck with it.

Later,
Joe

GottaHaveOne

Licensing in NY

Vehicles in NY are licensed by GVW not curb weight. You might get DMV to let you license below the 5500lb limit and get your passenger plates, but if you get stopped towing a trailer or with a bedload of dirt, look like your working, and they weigh you and your over the GVW on your registration be prepared to pay a fine and depending on which authorities weighs you, you may have to make the vehicle legal before it can be moved.

In NJ aslong as you are South of Toms River, you can drive on the parkways

saddamsnightmare

FEbruary 19th, 2009.

Just as a footnote, my 1989 F250 4x4 with 1-1/2 ton rear axle weighed 4200 Tare with a gas engine, and a S404.114 Unimog (Gas) is 6100 tare with traps and all equipment, and it's gotta be a much heaver truck then a diesel Chevy K3500, whichh is what your CUCV may be, though I'd almost bet its a K2500 equivalent rig. West Virginia had an 8900 LB gross under which it was a car plate, over which a truck. Equivalent PU's to yours in Texas pick your pocket for abot $89.00 per annum license (versus $32.00 in W.Va.) and a deuce goes for about $207.00 here as a 2-1/2 to 5 ton capacity pick up truck (I'm not making this one up!), so you gotta love Texas....... where else can a deuce live as a pickup???
Good luck with the Republic of NJ or NY, reason probably does not dwell in the DMV's...

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan:razz:

hobie237

...a diesel Chevy K3500, whichh is what your CUCV may be, though I'd almost bet its a K2500 equivalent rig.

I'll gladly take you up on that bet.

The CUCVs predated the 1500/2500/3500 nomenclature. The 1008s are K30s. The 1009s are half ton, fullsize Blazers. The CUCVIIs were in the range for the later nomenclature, but as far as I know, they were still 1-ton trucks. One day I will figure out why all the supposed "enthusiasts" around here seem to think that they are 3/4 ton trucks.

GottaHaveOne

It was until just a few years ago that ALL pickup trucks in NY recieved Commercial License Plates. There was a change due to the commute in the NYC metro area with the parkways and NY decieded that pickups under 5500lbs could recieve passenger plates if requested, then they were sure that the pickup was not being used in a commercial venture.

I once owned a 1985 Chevrolet K20(4x4, 3/4 ton) with a 350 gas, 4speed auto, 8foot box and it weighed 5200lbs full of fuel, now add my fat arse and and some gear and I am close to if not over the 5500lb limit. I do not have the problem with parkways as others do on their end of the state, so commerical plates have never bothered me and when I do have to make a trip down state, I just consult with Rand McNally and find alternate routes.

GottaHaveOne

M1008's are K30 "1 tons".
Any of the info I can find on the M1008 states that they are 5/4 ton which is 1.25( 1 1/4) ton.
The M1008 curb weight and weight ratings in
pounds are:

Curb Weight Weight Ratings

Front 3,225 3,660 (FAWR)

Rear 2,675 5,140 (RAWR)

Total 5,900 8,800 (GVWR)

The available payload is 2,900 lbs. and the
wheelbase is 131.5 inches.

Last edited:

hobie237

Sigh. Yes, the military stuck stiffer springs on (I think) to squeeze out an extra 1/4 ton on the ratings. I don't know why. They did the same with the Blazers. But, the 1008s and their derivatives are K30, "1-ton" models. The whole "half ton," "3/4 ton" and "1-ton" nomenclature really doesn't bear any relation to the actual carrying capacity of the truck, and it hasn't for years. It's a holdover from days LONG since gone. Do the math yourself- subtract 5900 from 8800 and you get 2900, Which is a hair under 1.5 tons actual capacity.

Anyway, just open up the glovebox and look at the GM model info sticker, and you can clearly see that it's a K30 "1-ton" model, with the "military package" which includes the deeper gears, whacky charging system and the other extremely minor add-ons and changes.

AJMBLAZER

Any of the info I can find on the M1008 states that they are 5/4 ton which is 1.25( 1 1/4) ton.
Sigh...here we go again. M1008's, 1028's, 1009's, etc all have standard GM parts under them. They have no capabilities that a similar civilian K30 of the era wouldn't have had. The military's ratings are actual ratings of their capabilities while the civilian "1 ton" (notice the quotation marks) is a traditional name. Do you think a 1969 Chevy C30 has the same ratings as a 2009 C3500?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please stay on track with the thread title and purpose of the thread.

Start your own thread to debate what a cucv is.(try a search)

lindyp38

how bout registering it as a historical vehicle.....ur use will be limited....but u wont get commerical plates........in NY ...u can even get license plates from year registry of vehicle.....?

I can say i know exactly how much a m1008 with a full tank of fuel weighs 5580 nothing in the bed nothing in the truck cab extra just seat and seatbelts and me i got it weighed on scales hope this helps

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks