• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gov Liq Generator Working Ratio

derf

Of the 4 MEP-701A gens I bought last year 2 worked fine and 2 were in need of parts.

One had no battery.
Three had dead batteries.

One had a Yanmar transplant that was not completed. The motor appears to have zero hours on it. There was almost no soot in the muffler when I started it up. The starter wire stud was stripped on the starter. It was also missing the two covers from the fuel tank end of the ASK box.

One still had fuel and oil. If fired up in about 1 second and made good power immediately.

One had no fluids but also started pretty quickly when fed fuel and oil. It made good power.

One had a broken scroll cover and bad fuel transfer pump (not auxillary pump but pump that feeds tank to injector pump.) THe scroll cover was $40 on ebay and I took the fuel pump apart and assembled it correctly and it worked.

I bid on 2 lots of 2 units each. One lot, the 2 units that worked without much trouble, were said to have come from pressure washer setups.

3dAngus

I did a stupid thing, and started my MEP-003 up without checking the oil, where the oil stick was inaccessible at the time. I didn't know at the time that the military sometimes shipped these things without oil and took a chance, observing oil pressure from the get-go. I was lucky anyway it wasn't drained, oil pressure came up right away, and she ran perfect.

I know now not to be so impatient. I learned right here about the shipping issue with these things. SS is the best. Learning something new every day.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1 for 1 with me... !

My MEP 016B was out of fuel, low on oil and had a dead battery (but "complete" parts wise).

Took it to my GENSET buddy on post, he topped off the low oil, added diesel, jumped it off and she started up and ran great. One gauge (frequency) is intermittent, but she puts out voltage, so I'm happy I didn't buy a "parts" MEP!

:grin:

jimbob1111

I'm 0 for 3 on my generators running without repairs.
1st MEP002A 1600 Hrs on it. Had new engine, gen head & fuel pumps. No batteries, no fluids & all the filter housings empty. It had a bad injection pump right out of the box. I installed a reman IP & it runs & generates fine.
2nd MEP002A Fuel tank is full of rust & old diesel varnish. No batteries or fluids but it has all of it's filters. I haven't tried to start it or turn the engine over. The first fuel pump screen I pulled out is packed with rust. I'll have to clean & flush the fuel system first.
MEP16B 56 hrs on it, It is painted dark gray & turns over by hand. But it has been sitting inside somewhere for so long the carb & linkage was rusted solid. I soaked the tie rod ends in Evaporust & I'm currently building a brass float for the carb. The floats seem to have issues with the current blends of gasoline.

derf

16B shouldn't have a carb, right? 16A does, though.

A guy came by to look at one of the two 701s I was selling and bought both. I was going to test my spare voltage regulator on one before I sold it but now I can't.

steelandcanvas

I'm 1 for 1 with the 003A. I never expect batteries in anything from GovLiq. I changed the oil, new filter, removed and cleaned out the fuel tank, put on a new set of batteries and she fired right up. She had 177 hours on her. The oil pressure gauge didn't work, ordered a new unit from Jay at Saturn, she carries about 40 PSI under load.:-D

Isaac-1

I have bought 3 generators (1 MEP, and 2 industrial models 3-125KW) from GL along with a diesel powered high pressure air compressor 2MC1A, and a couple of electric fork lifts, and a few assorted other things. Of the engine powered items, only the little 3KW MEP-701a was ready to run after adding just fuel, oil and fresh battery (it did have a very slow oil leak in the oil cooler though). The air compressor suffered from a waterlogged fuel filter, and a leaking manual priming pump, and some clogged fuel lines once those were addressed (along with adding oil, fuel, battery, etc) it fired right up. One of the Industrial generators (30KW) had been stored outdoors with no muffler (probably remote mounted with an original indoor installation), whoever had removed it from service did duct tape a trash bag over the exhaust manifold, but this had rotted away after long term GL outdoor storage and allowed a couple of gallons of water the end up in the oil pan (enough to make it half way up the dip stick), GL had also cut the lower radiator hose to drain the coolant, crushed the battery cables under the skid, and removed the oil and fuel filters allowing the lines to get stopped up. Thankfully it was only lightly seized so I was able to free it up by soaking with ATF/marvel mystery oil for a few day, runs good now. The 3rd Generator a 125KW Onan was missing its main control circuit board ($300 to replace), also had a bad starter solenoid, and some control grounding issue that had to be fixed to get running, to get it running good required a $700 injection pump rebuild due to moisture in the injection pump, the generator had under 600 original hours after 30 years.

Ike

p.s. the 30 KW Kohler had a couple of bad gauges, a bad $12 oil pressure switch and a somewhat flaky start/off/remote start switch, leaking radiator cap, etc. and the Onan had a bad Frequency gauge nothing that kept either from running and producing power though.

Last edited:

pmramsey

I did a stupid thing, and started my MEP-003 up without checking the oil, where the oil stick was inaccessible at the time. I didn't know at the time that the military sometimes shipped these things without oil and took a chance, observing oil pressure from the get-go. I was lucky anyway it wasn't drained, oil pressure came up right away, and she ran perfect.

I know now not to be so impatient. I learned right here about the shipping issue with these things. SS is the best. Learning something new every day.
It would not have run without oil as there is a auto shutdown feature.

derf

I suspect there is something wrong with just about every piece of DRMO equipment. My two working gens, for example, were part of a pressure washer trailer system. So, the gens ran fine but the pressure washers and/or trailers probably had problems.

I'm convinced the Yanmar powered 701A I got was DRMO'd when whoever was installing the new Yanmar motor tried to put the wrong nut on the starter stud and stripped it. Rather than install a new starter and continue the conversion, they just got rid of it.

FrankUSMC

We had two generators given to us to prep for turn in, we were told to cut every line and drain every thing. The guy even cut all the wires on both units. They went out as scrap. This was last year, do not blame GL for this it is the EPA for us here.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

derf

Probably some accountant doesn't want to do paperwork so it is easier for him if they get scrapped. I'm surprised more items aren't sold "mutilation required".
Our tax dollars at work. I kinda feel like I got a tax refund when I get a stuff from GL.

derf

I have seen items come in the front gate new get unloaded, get red taged and sent out the back gate to DRMO.

If you see that at Ft. Polk or Camp Shelby, PM me so I can check the stuff out.

And, yes, some gens and things are obviously like new with little or no time elapsed on the meter.

Last edited:

derf

Don't certain government agencies get first shot at DRMO stuff?
I know fire departments and other municipalities get some kind of opportunity to get surplus stuff.

Isaac-1

Out of all the stuff I have bought from GL, the best bang for the buck deal was probably a big 5 foot tall HP color laser printer, retail new cost $13,500. Bought from GL 18 months old and less than 80,000 pages printed (less than 1 month use at rated duty cycle) paid $300 as scrap, only problem was one empty color toner cartridge and the sensor in the main paper tray would only read empty or full, would not show 1/4,1/2,3/4 full). Also one of the electric forklifts I bought (a small walk behind unit), needed new batteries (missing) and the fuse holder for the onboard charger was broken, $800 for the lift, $600 for a pair of batteries and 97 cents for a fuse holder and it runs like new, current production model retails for $9,500. So there are good deals out there, and stuff that works, or at least very close to works.

Ike

derf

Yes, I figure $500 for a single cylinder Diesel motor that runs isn't too bad. So, if I buy a small Diesel genset and only get a motor then it isn't too bad of a deal, anyway.

I was shocked to find the one part I needed(scroll) for one 701A on ebay for only $40 shipped.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks