• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gov Liq Generator Working Ratio

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On generators, 0 for 1, mep-952b missing fuel pump and injector pump, fuel cut off solenoid, and slave receptacle. Isnt anything the internet cant fix though.

Milbikes

Won an MEP-701A. No battery, but the battery terminal clamps were new. The hour meter showed 872.2 hours. The oil filter was marked with a date in 2009 and 872hr. There was a cup of fuel in the bottom of the tank. The oil was clean but a quart low. It had a blown fuse in the front panel, and one inside.

I added oil, fuel, and hooked two lawn tractor batteries in series, and it fired right up.

It produces current at the convenience outlets on the front panel, and at the hard-wire terminals inside. It was set for 120volts.

Now I have to get it off the trailer and into it's new 'permanent' position, and then I'll wire it up and run it to see how it does long-term. So far I like it!

eng251ine

I won two MEP-003's from Ft Meade and 1 nice MEP-004ask from Chambersburg.

Both 003's had less than 5hrs on the clock, very clean fuel tanks, were missing oil filters, missing batteries, no oil. Converted Oil Filters to Spin On (Thanks Speddmon), Converted Fuel Filters to Spin On (Local Napa), flushed fuel lines added new batteries and have two Excellent Running MEP-003's!

The 004 had 194hrs on the clock, batteries (dead), clean oil and filter, new fuel filters. Replaced batteries, added fuel, fired right up. Minor issue, friction knob on hand throttle broken. ASK enclosure in great shape - no rust, no dents. Very Nice Unit!

Overall, 3 for 3 :driver:

billypop

Bought 8 mep-003a(GD) a few months back.(SCSG) I just started working on them after Christmas. So far I'm 3 for 3. Just need more time to get them all going. :beer:

Last edited:

ClarkeF

1 for 4 - out of the auction.

One: MEP-002A - I don't know how long it has been sitting, but basically had varnish in the tank and lines. No oil, batteries, or filters. 546 hours. Lots of gunk in the tank - which I made the mistake of cleaning. Tank immediately started to leak. New tank. Replaced a leaking fuel line to the injector pump, new filters, added oil and batteries - started right up. Since then, I've had to replace the glow plugs and throttle cable. Need to load test it - RPM's tend to drop under heavy load.

Two: MEP-701A - Looked very good in the pictures. No battery or oil. 390 hours. Detail inspection showed that the injector pump and bolts had been messed with, as well as a broken fuel line. Fixed the fuel line, jumped with the slave cable (after insulting the positive battery clamp). No start. No fuel to injector. No fuel FROM injector pump. Injector pump bad - nor have I been able to remove the pump to inspect it as per the -34, it just won't come out seems that it's catching on something solid - metal on metal clunk when you try and pull it out.. Any tips or tricks? Thinking about parting this one out.

Three: MEP-018B. Mid-400's for hours. No battery or oil. Sludge in the fuel tank, varnish in the lines and filter. cleaned tank, jumped from slave cable - wouldn't start. Checked the throttle linkage for sticking - and it was. Noticed the solenoid was unplugged. Manually pulled the cutoff solenoid back and it started with a little black smoke - before the circuit breaker on the front panel popped. Cutoff solenoid was _very_ hot. Turns out the solenoid was pulling too much current and they probably disconnected it. Disconnected the solenoid and runs without blowing the breaker. Checked the front outlet - 180VAC. I'm guessing it needs a regulator.

Four: MEP-701A. MId-400 hours. With 4AH battery and oil - but it had been left powered on. Battery so flat that it only came back to about 5VDC after being disconnected for a couple days. Currently on the 24V conditioner/charger - but I had to "jump" with a couple 12V batteries in series/parallel to get the voltage up enough for my conditioner to take over the charging. Jumped the genny with the slave cable (best $65 I've every spent!) and it starts/runs and holds voltage! Managed to load up it up to about 75% with a big compressor and work lights.

Currently working to move the control panel and ASK kit from the genny with the bad injector pump to the working MEP-016B with the bad voltage regulator. Once that is done, I'll have a MEP-016B to part out - less voltage regulator and a stuck injector pump.

Last edited:

sewerzuk

I have purchased over 20 MEP-002's, -003's, -004's, -005's, and -006's in the last 2 years. Not one of them was ready to start when I brought it home. I never did get one with batteries; so I have had to purchase batteries for every one.
Only 1 turned out to be unrepairable (economically speaking, anyway). That one was due to some sabotage...some bolts placed in the intake manifold caused bent/stuck valve and thrown rod.

Most common issues:
- Missing filter canisters and/or filter hardware
- fuel lift pumps seized/contaminated with paint chips, sediment, etc.
- bad injection pumps (probably 1 out of 5 have been bad; one on an -006 and a couple of 002's and 003's)
- bad VR boards (-002 and -003 only)
- bad frequency transducers (all models)
- cut radiator hoses (-004 through -006 only)
- bad (but repairable) starter solenoids (-004 through -006 only)
- inaccurate meters (all models)

Never purchased one with anything truly major wrong with it...even the -005 that threw the rod started and ran fine until it sucked those 3/8" bolts into itself. Even after that, it ran on 5 cylinders and pulled over 20kW.

I even bought one -002a for parts that looked like it took a tumble off of a truck on the freeway. Even though it looked like a squashed tin can, it ran and made power just fine. I am still using that engine on my log splitter.

colo_deuce

Mep-701a

Ok, guys I'm interested in a MEP-701a but have no history so I don't know what to expect when bidding on one on GL. What's a resonable price to expect for a low hour <200 hour unit or around 400 hour? each looks complete but can't inspect. Can you give me some idea what to expect?

storeman

Got any info available on the design of your log splitter?
Jerry

I even bought one -002a for parts that looked like it took a tumble off of a truck on the freeway. Even though it looked like a squashed tin can, it ran and made power just fine. I am still using that engine on my log splitter.

sewerzuk

Got any info available on the design of your log splitter?
Jerry
I keep meaning to take a video of it working...but I did shoot a short clip right after I put the engine on. My grandfather built the splitter back in the 70's. I just swapped the old wisconsin 4 cylinder gas engine for the MEP-002's engine. Lot of redneck engineering...but I have loaned it out to 5 or 6 people so they could fill their woodsheds. The -002's engine has probably saved hundreds of $$ in fuel alone, and never had a single problem with it. I did a writeup on it with pics and video here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxillary-equipment/63312-mep-002a-engine-log-splitter.html

PropDr

One of the 2 mep-018as that I bought worked for me right from the get go. Granted the the crank case had 2-3 quarts of water in it because the dip stick was missing and it sat for years like that out in the weather. The other one just appears to need magneto parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks