• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gov Liq Generator Working Ratio

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of the 4 MEP-701a generators I bought, two worked fine with a new battery. Of the other two, one needed a voltage regulator but runs fine, and one had a bad IP.

Two trailers, each had one working generator and one that needed repairs.

derf

I suppose they DRMOd yours because of the one bad unit of the set.
I assume they are phasing in new quiet gens to replace the older, louder units.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suppose they DRMOd yours because of the one bad unit of the set.

That is what I am thinking. Who was it in Hillsboro that got a pair from the same sale? I think one of his was bad too.

My replacement voltage regulator just came. Evidently the AVR most popular for fixing the 701a/016b is the SX460.

What is interesting is that is exactly the AVR that is in my Stamford Newage 120/240v generator.

derf

I have an SX460 sitting right here. I'm glad to hear it will work because I bought it thinking it would but not knowing for sure. One of my 701As was missing some parts so I'm going to make it a lighter version, omitting a lot of stuff, but keeping the like new Yanmar motor.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was too difficult for me to figure out, so I took it to a generator shop. I will post up photos and a corrected wiring diagram when I get it back, to help all those out there with the same problem.

derf

The SX460 is simple. See attachment. It should work. At lease I convinced myself it would work on a 016B when I bought it. I like the underfrequency rolloff it has.

Attachments

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a very simple hookup, thanks. The problem was, I couldn't even FIND the high voltage regulator. I could only find the battery charging regulator. That and the wiring diagram in the TM was largely fiction.

derf

Just picked up another 701A. After a replacement throttle cable it works fine. This one had oil but no fuel, has battery but dead.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFa3PkY_M7U[/media]

ichudov

I am five out of five.

1) Onan DJE -- igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/
2) MEP-017A -- MEP 017A
3) MEP-006A -- MEP 006A
4) and 5) Two Cummins L423D diesels.
Cummins L423D Diesel Engine 60 HP 4 cyl, Generator etc

One of them had all the rubber parts inside injection pump disintegrated due to dry rot. I had to pay someone to rebuild it.

One of the posters here mentioned a bad injection pump, and I wonder if he had the same issue.

They all needed love and attention.

i

ichudov

Yes, I figure $500 for a single cylinder Diesel motor that runs isn't too bad. So, if I buy a small Diesel genset and only get a motor then it isn't too bad of a deal, anyway.

I was shocked to find the one part I needed(scroll) for one 701A on ebay for only $40 shipped.
I paid $180 each for two Cumming L423D 2.3L four cylinder diesels.

i

derf

I paid $180 each for two Cumming L423D 2.3L four cylinder diesels.

i
Good deal. If you ever come to LA I'll give you $180 for one of them.

Everything I get from GL seems to have a floor of $250. I can't complain, though. One day I'll be like the old coots "Back in my day, you could get good surplus stuff for only $250!"

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a laundry trailer with an MEP-003a on it, between the time the pics were posted on GL and the time I picked it up, a number of parts were removed from it. I got the replacement parts from Coleman's off some junkers in the back lot, I built it up, and it worked fine.

Isaac-1

A MEP-701a IS a MEP-016b in an ASK housing, for some reason they just decided to give it another model number unlike the MEP-002a and MEP-003a with ASK perhaps because the MEP-701a ASK upgrade was a depot job and the MEP-002a/003a was field installable.

A quick rundown on the MEP-016 model family, all share the same 3600 rpm 3KW generator end:

MEP-016a and MEP-016c have gasoline pull start engines very similar to each other

MEP-016b have a 1 cylinder Onan diesel, very different from the A/C, different frame, electric start, etc. same generator end

MEP-016D Old MEP-016a/c models retrofitted with a Yanmar L70 diesel engine, retrofit program began around the year 2001

MEP-016E MEP-016b (may also be MEP-701a) retrofitted with a Yanmar L100 diesel engine

Note both the D and E revisions may still have the orginal data plate claiming to be a A/C or B and not the revised data plate

Ike

p.s. the MEP-016a/c seem to mostly be built in the 1970's, the MEP-016b seems to be mostly from the late 1980's to early 1990's (mine was built in 1988 ), and the Yanmar life extension retrofits date from about 2001

Last edited:

Brandon314159

I scored a MEP-006 and after hearing horror stories, my dad that was working very close by the base went and photoed/inspected the three I was interested in. Out of them, only one looked 'complete' although a suspect 5hrs total run time had me worried. It also had the red X marks all over it.

Bought it anyway.

Filled fuel/coolant/oil...changed oil filters. After a good inspection...fired it right off and ran like a champ.

Couple mo. later I started seeing that the IP seals were leaking diesel into the oil and the standard rubber coupling inside the injection pump was starting to shred. Had it rebuilt and runs like a champ. Have almost 800hrs on it now...lost some rectifier diodes so dealing with that right now.

The other two were missing significant components....passed on those.

Isaac-1

If yours is the single cylinder Onan MEP-016b/701a it has both an electric and a mechanical fuel pump, the electric pump is a transfer pump that refills the onboard fuel tank from an optional external tank (is controlled by a float in the fuel tank), the mechanical fuel pump feeds the engines injection pump from the onboard fuel tank.

Ike

p.s. I think the Yanmar retrofits have 2 electric fuel pumps, one is a transfer pump, and the second one feeds the injection pump

derf

IIRC the Yanmar on my 016D has a float switch in the Yanmar tank which controls an electric pump. There is a larger tank slung under the motor and one of the electric pumps takes from that tank and fills the Yanmar tank.

The Onan single cylinder Diesel MEPs have an electric auxillary pump to fill the tank from an external source, a mechanical pump to get the fuel from the tank to the injector pump, and an injector pump to feed the injector.

On the 016E (Yanmar powered 701A) that I have there was not a tank mounted on the Yanmar motor. IIRC it had two electric pumps and one injector pump. One electric pump was the aux pump to fill the tank from an external source and the other was a "lift" pump to feed then injector pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks