• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guess I'm looking at head gaskets

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got the heads on today. I had to work last night 9pm-1am so I'm a little tired. Also got the rockers bolted back on as well. I'm going to run through the valves tomorrow without the injectors in to make it a little faster. Maybe by tomorrow afternoon I'll have it fired back up. I'm thinking about buying a few gallons of the cheapest oil I can find to fire it up on. Then drain and fill with the 15w40 I've got. It'd help clear out any of the left over snot in the crankcase (Around the lifters mainly) that I couldn't wash out.

On a side note, par for the course, my VE pump on my samurai's engine has started dripping fuel around the head. It was rebuilt but sat around for a bit before I installed it. Probably has all of 10K miles total on it. :mad:

DieselBob

On a side note, par for the course, my VE pump on my samurai's engine has started dripping fuel around the head. It was rebuilt but sat around for a bit before I installed it. Probably has all of 10K miles total on it. :mad:
Man, doesn't sound like you can catch a break. One thing I didn't see answered was if you found a source for new rod bolts or did you reuse the originals. Sorry if I missed it but I just read from page one and didn't see an answer. Hope the repair works.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Man, doesn't sound like you can catch a break. One thing I didn't see answered was if you found a source for new rod bolts or did you reuse the originals. Sorry if I missed it but I just read from page one and didn't see an answer. Hope the repair works.
I reused the original bolts.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It lives! Got it fired up and took it for a test drive today. If time allows tomorrow I'll run it up and down the hills near home to give it a good work out to seat the rings. In the mean time, I've removed the rubber on the radiator cap to prevent the system from pressurizing. It was 80's this afternoon, engine temps were at about 170. Oil pressure was at 30psi hot at idle, 55-60psi at speed. I have somehow missplaced my valve cover gaskets, so I reused the old ones. Unfortunately they've had it and I've got a slight leak. It'll just give me a chance to run through the valves once more once I do find them. I also bought another 5 gallons of oil as well. Once the rings are seated, I'll change the oil again. *fingers crossed* :beer:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You are going to fill that up with Mobil1, arent you?:mrgreen:
Sure, where's my sharpie at? I just need to put a big number 1 on it right? rofl

Rotella T goes in the dodge, wife's CRD, my motorcycle, and the Samurai's VW diesel. The Jeep gets whatever the dealership has. The deuces get the budget brand wally world 15W40 or Tractor Supply brand. Who ever has it on sale. I've been through way too much oil lately!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not sure how I managed to get an intake valve WAY out, but I had one rocker ticking. Turns out my #3 intake was way loose. Dialed it back down to .010 and all is well with the noise. I've driven it around a bit, but still haven't gotten the rings to set. It does seem like the blowby is lessening though. I was still getting some snot/drip out the draft tube. But when I pulled off the valve covers I realized I hadn't cleaned out the baffled areas. I took the garden hose to them and sprayed them out. I'll let it dry out till tomorrow. I also took the airhose to the metal tube to the turbo and blew out more snot. Coolant level has remained unchanged.

For anyone that has overhauled an engine (a complete set of 6 liners and piston kits), how long should I run the oil? I know I'll have some shineys and stuff in the oil from the rings/pistons bedding in. But how many hours/miles should I dump this oil? I was thinking I'd keep this oil in the crankcase until the rings set in. I was thinking about driving it to work in the next day or so. That'd give me 40 miles through a LOT of hills.

ca1517

I would run it about 25 hours. I know that may sound a little excessive to some, but, I would want to make sure whatever was going to seat has gotten seated, and you wouldn't be wasting an oil change. That is just my opinion. I just in-framed the engine in my Cat 953. I haven't gotten to the 25 hour mark yet, but I am not opening the plug til I get there.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Drove it around again yesterday, got it warmed up before driving (I pulled the throttle up to 1500~1750rpm). Sounds much better with the valve adjusted LOL. I appears that the blowby has reduced a little. I really need a trailer or something easy I can put in the bed to put a bigger load on the engine to help speed up the seating.

Water level has remained unchanged from what I can tell. I still have water up to the neck of the radiator. I did clean out the valve covers before reinstalling them. It doesn't look like I've had any more "snot" coming out. But I did have a little snot on the inside of the valve cover. But I'm thinking it's just from all the "snot" residue left in the engine. Or moisture from the blowby. It's going to take some time (and another oil change) for all this crap to get out of this engine. And more importantly, I need to take it for a long drive and really work it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Went for another drive today, unfortunately I can only seem to take short drives in it. At least I'm hitting the hills near home. Haven't seen any snot in the valve cover, but the water level was low. But I'm running an "open" cooling system now so I'll just attribute it to evaporation out the cap. It seems that the rings are starting to seat. Blowby has reduced a bit more. The oil color is still nice and golden. I don't see the murky green oil I was getting before, nor am I seeing any whiteness to the oil (I'm running just water and alumiseal and a bit of antifreeze). :jumpin:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Put close to 100 miles on it today. No snot yet! Oil is starting to turn that darker color as well. Water level remained up. Blowby has decreased a bit as well.

I will say one thing, stop and go urban traffic SUCKS in a deuce!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Took it for a spin today to pickup the dog from the sitter. I swear, it feels like it's gained power since I did the liners. It's able to maintain speed going up hill easier now in 5th gear. It still needs a downshift every now and then, but it's feeling a little more powerful. Oil still looks nice and I'm not seeing any more of the snot that was in the oil. I'm thinking I've finally evaporated the gunk that was stuck around the lifters and areas I didn't get to. Guess I'll update this thread in a month or so. But so far so good with the repair. [thumbzup]

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Still holding coolant out of the crankcase, but it's still got a good bit of blowby. I've been trying to lug it in 5th more frequently. I'm thinking about trying to pile everything I possibly can into the bed of the truck to weigh it down. I wish I had another deuce or a large heavy trailer to pull behind it. I think it's simply not getting loaded down like it needs.