• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

Cav Trooper

Another ham here, also

I just got my Tech license in November. I have a PRC77 mounted in my M37. I ran into another ham who transmitted a test at about 30 ft away and I could receiver but, when he tested on transmit on my rig, nothing. I am looking for someone, hopefully in the Cincy Dayton area who can help with testing etc. I know I won't be using it much a all but would like to have the rig up and functional.

hunderliggur

Next month is Hamvention in Dayton. If you don't get help before then you can surely get it there. Hamvention is the Mecca of Amateur Radio. Sorry, Zi don't know about PRC-77s.

TheRainbowBoxer

Did any of you guys participate in field day this past weekend? I worked 40 meters with my dad and we made 802 contacts, which is the most we have done since I started working with him. We used a regular civvy radio, which overheated with about 2 hours left. Curious: Anyone using green radios for this?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did any of you guys participate in field day this past weekend? I worked 40 meters with my dad and we made 802 contacts, which is the most we have done since I started working with him. We used a regular civvy radio, which overheated with about 2 hours left. Curious: Anyone using green radios for this?
I played around with a PRC-320 Clansman HF transceiver, but didn't really participate this year. I feel like I wasted the weekend! (did go visit a couple of Field Day sites though.)

Bob WB4ETT

blybrook

I operated the local club station with the g/f and a good handful of the club members. We were on 20m most of the time; but band conditions were horrible. My g/f made the only 3 HF voice contacts on Saturday.

I think our total count was 15 contacts; including digital, satellite and voice.

Catfuel

Here's pics from the Central Vermont Amateur Radio club Field Day. My restored MSC-37 shelter is in the back of the M-37. There are 2 AB-155's in the field behind the truck with a 75 meter antenna between them. I was on the air with the whip antenna 5 minutes after pulling into the field! The dipole took a bit longer to set up. I worked mostly west coast stations on 20 and New Zealand on 17! Not bad for the first official deployment of the shelter.

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is a MSC-37 shelter? Is it similar to a S-89? What radios were in the MSC-37 shelter?

Do you have any interior photos or and closer photos of the shelter?

Storm 51

Catfuel

It's my ironic recreation of a military radio shelter. I started with a MTC-7 telephone shelter and wanted to use an HF radio in it instead so I removed the SB-86 switchboard and made mounting brackets for the GRC-106A to go in it's place. They're about the same weight. I also scrounged all the other bits that went in the original shelter. Axe, field phone, clock first aid kit etc. I added a 24 volt DC bus for the radio, a PP-4763 power supply, an SB-22 switchboard , and an AB-243 antenna bracket on the front for the 15' whip. I fed that with coax from the ME-165 SWR meter. Here's the irony of the project. I knew that a MSC-7 was from the very early 50's and wanted to come up with a model number that was closer to the era of the shelters mfg date of 1962. I guessed MSC-37. Well I recently found pictures on the internet of a MSC-37 made by Motorola in 1963! It too has HF capability and 12 lines phone capacity. It was part of a USC-3 communications system. The exterior pictures look just like my M-37 and shelter. The interior is far different. I have a desk for sending CW and writing in logs etc. The table is also good for working on equipment out of the weather in good lighting. It worked great for Field Day. Attached pics are 1 shelter w/ switchboard, 2 GRC-106 mounted, 3 Antenna bracket. I'll have to get some updated pics taken.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bulldog 4

I edited my sig to add ham info to it. I use a Yaesu VX-7 HT and a field portable Yaesu FT-897D with side mounted auto-tuner into a Hustler mobile vertical NVIS capable. I am a former instructor/field engineer with the TTC/TYC-39 program and also worked quite a bit with the SB-3614. I would sure like to get my hands on one of those if anybody knows a source.

groundhog43

I am not sure how current this thread is. I just ran across the post. I am also a HAM - AE5PT - I am an extra class HAM. For those who asked, the Code (CW) test is no longer required in HAM radio. At home I use 160 - 6M, 2M, 1.25M, 70CM. In my vehicle I use 2M & 70CM. I plan to add HF to my vehicle soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks