• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Haspin 2009: SS 10th Anniversary Rally June 10-14

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You know, if you guys start saving wmo now, you could make it down here VERY cheap. For just about $150-$200 we got to the Ga rally. That figure includes gas to thin the mix and filters.

scooter01922

Its not so much the gas $$ that scares me as it is the several long days of driving a deuce alone, with a few guys from this neck of the woods heading that way i can see it being much more enjoyable.

Flea

I plan on buying a 5-gallon container to stockpile used ATF to filter for fuel. Most places around here won't give you the stuff unless it's 5-gallons or less.

jfnemt1ff1

I dont want to here how hard it is to drive a duece that far. My wife and I drove are Gama Goat about 800 miles to Aberdeen:p. And then And then when we moved from MI to Iowa drove my duece towing my Goat with a tow bar. But as some of you know I am crazzzy;-).
John

powerhouseduece

Im south of you scooter, If I do decide to go Im suer you all can start a convoy and head down there, im worried about the actuall trip there and back myself.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris S.
This is a great idea! Count me in. As I am close by, please consider my sincere offer to help in anyway I can.

I just have to comment - There is always a spectacular group of folks in attendance. I've seen everyone pitching in when there was wrenching to do; food and drinks are frequently shared, and everyone takes a turn driving someone else's truck.

Haspin 08 023.jpgThis year, (2008 )was the 4th annual get-together at Haspin (I have attended the last three) and I believe it keeps getting bigger and better each year.

Please bring your MVs. ( Let me stress - There are plenty of mild, dirt road trails if you want to take it easy, and conversely - plenty of nasty stuff if you want to get dirty). . . . but if you can't, then you are just as welcome in your civy vehicle. We always have plenty of empty seats on the trails every year. If you do plan to drive your mv, we have a big shop here and Gimpy has plenty of towbars, . . . so don't worry about breakdowns.

Also, I am only about 7 miles from the Cincinnati airport (CVG). Then another 49 miles from my house to Haspin. If any of you guys from way far away want to fly in, I can shuttle you to the site. . . . Primitive camping is available at Haspin (there is a shower house on site, and generators are permitted), or hotels and rental cars are close to the airport if you want to be self-sufficient.

Last edited:

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also,
Chris,

Would you consider a June date instead? ? The last two have been in June, and I think it has worked well. It's not too hot (like July), but still muddy. April is cold and nasty rainy. I understand your concern about May being reserved for Aberdeen.
Just a suggestion. . . .

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great! Thanks for the offer to help, Jeff. Having other members to help with logistics will be key to making this thing a success. I have really missed going the last couple of years so I am very excited to do it again this year. It'll be even more special with the site turning 10!

Any other comments about the April 20th to 26th date?

oilcan

I can't argue either way on the dates. Cold doesn't bother me like it used to, and I don't have too much trouble with the heat. If I did, I sure wouldn't mess with MV's!

The point Jeff brought up about mild trails is a good one. FYI, camping is permitted throuought the trail system, and a lot of the ATV types park big RV's way back in the woods. It's certainly possible to keep a "trailer queen" pretty clean unless it rains. And the main trails are better than many of the streets in my home town. A little dustier, though...

Also, I can lend a hand to the effort if needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Any other comments about the April 20th to 26th date?

Oooh, appealing weather history:

2008: 69/46
2007: 69/55
2006: 60/37
2005: 50/42
2004: 66/43
2003: 66/46
2002: 59/39

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, we are just about guaranteed mud in April. I will come on whatever date is picked, but would lean towards a June date. Last year's weather was perfect. We were begging for some rain, was getting dusty, and then on saturday, we had a decent rain to make mud. Temps were in the low 80's

Dennis

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer the June time frame. I am flexible:-D

N1265

Consider this : The MVPA is having a convoy across America and they will be passing threw OH. IN. and IL. from June 17th. threw the 21st.

I am under the impression that they are inviting any one to convoy with them at any part of the trip ( with M.V. of any Era ). Although the rout is Further North, ( I think US 30 ) I think some thought should be given when considering a June Date.....

It could be better, or worse for getting a bigger turn out with some other major M.V. event in the same neck of the woods in the same month.

Just a thought,

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer mid to late June. Late April is just too close to Aberdeen for me, I'm sure it would affect some other attendees as well.

i am thinking june is beter but i will be there either way i am not missing any of this years event . this was my first and will not be my last great people and food . will help any way possible also close to airport to help shuttle andhave at least one truck needing a driver but who no's how many buy haspin. just wish i could bring my crome n_ _ s. maybe we need to find a kitchen trailer ?

Oldgrunt

June was the perfect time of the year last year, Kipman and I will both be there, and maybe one or two other brothers. I can't wait, the thought of having that many MV in one place gives me flash backs of the Corps. I will be more prepaired for rain this time around, and plan to be there the hole time.
Old Grunt :twisted:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks