• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Have you named you truck?

spicergear

The '77 406 Unimog simply and happily is just 'Moggie.' What a workhorse! The hot stock deuce ended up being 'Smoke' because when the engine was rebuilt in Tooele Army Depot, they must have turned it up a bit. It's the fastest stock deuce truck I've driven and pulls an easy gear over a buddy's truck. The crane truck was originally blue and white and looked like some old feed truck and still retains the 'Blue' name. It's come a ways with the CAT, M977 crane...etc, etc. The picture labeled 'mushroom 2' was originally taken as I made an aluminum adapter to put a deuce intake mushroom onto the top of the 406's intake stack. When it was being transported north, the original intake stack top piece apparently didn't like 60mph and is somewhere along I-81. Unimogs had a couple different types of stack covers and the deuce one looks close enough to have the purists take a second glance. ;-)

Attachments

Last edited:

Drabbed Out

I finally bought my first cucv a couple friends have had and currently have numerous ones but never would let me buy them. So I went out on my own and snagged one. My wife and kids came home to see it in the driveway and the kids asked what it that? My wife replied "daddy's new Bronco" (I'm working on her at least she was kind of close!!) my children then responded "awesome daddy has a grunkle" So that is the name. Come to find out a grunkle is a dinosaur off the movie how to train your dragon lol

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Wife christened mine Shrek the day I got it. Big, green, and ugly and not liked by the neighbors.

My one trailer is pucker factor

My 1009 is "Piece of $h!#" sometimes with the F bomb in front of it...come to think of it, usually with the F bomb in front of it.

oddshot

My wife and I call my Deuce "The Mother Duck". She tops out at 58 to 60 MPH ... and goes a LOT slower up hills here in NoGa. As she goes along ... all the other cars line up and waddle along right behind us ... just like little baby ducks.

The roads around here are kinda tight ... and don't give you much room to left folks around you. I let them by when I can ... but otherwise ...

I think the other drivers know us already ... when they can finally pull out and pass ... they all seem to wave ... and yell out her name ... MOTHER DUCK ... or something like that. I ain't real sure ... I'm old and hard of hearing anyoldways.

I don't generally name vehicles ... but I had a Ford 4x4 Pickup that I loved dearly ... and sold to help me get the Deuce. I have often referred to her as "My Old Gal". I really miss that old ford ... but I got a feelin' the Duck will do just fine.

oddshot

Last edited:

chupa

My deuce came with the name/operation "Linebacker II" .I was thinking of renaming it but want to really figure out where its been then go from there.

( 307th BW
8th AF SAC ) <<bumper tag from previous owners unit
Didn't the "Linebacker" B-52 air raids over Vietnam in 1972 originate from Guam? Perhaps your truck was based there.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trucks I have owned that I named:

M725 ambulance - Gumby (it was bright green)
M35A2 - Jayne
M35A2 - Smokey (take a guess why)
M35A2 - Rusty (another guess please)
M35A2 - Princess (too nice to use)
LMTV - Bitsa (rollover wreck, bitsa this and bitsa that)

I have owned other trucks as well, but never named them....

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just bought a deuce from a guy that bought it from me 2 years ago. I had regrets from day one about selling it but had just recovered 4 truck from across the country and was low on the hobby funds. Over breakfast at our monthly MV meeting 2 weeks ago he told me he was thinking about selling it and within 20 seconds I had the title in my hand and he had a check. It is a recent, if not one of the last, depot rebuild deuces. It was singled out by the army and has Firestone radials on it. It will run 65 at 2300 rpm and is strong. It is a dropside whisler too. It is one of the most pristine deuces I have ever seen. It's name is PRISTINE....

goldwing2000

Banned
I just bought two deuces in a package deal. One showed up with the name "War Beast" but the other has yet to be named. I've also named my tractors:
Edgar, the grumpy curmudgeon (1952 Ford 8N)
Benny, the helpful one (1963 I-H 404 w/ front loader)
Igor, the ugly workhorse (1962 I-H 3414 loader tractor w/ backhoe)

None of the "regular" vehicles have actual names. Just "The Blazer", "The 'Wing", "The Mazda" and "The dirt bike".

wes935

Paulbusmax.......You need to hurry up and get something so you can name it.

I just got mine home from GL on Tuesday afternoon and my 3-year old named it "Monster Truck" because when she saw it sitting on the trailer she thought it looked like one. I will probably shorten to "Monster".

oddshot

Didn't the "Linebacker" B-52 air raids over Vietnam in 1972 originate from Guam?
All true. They are also unofficially known as "The Christmas Bombings." These raids were Nixon and Kissenger's way of getting the North Vietnamese to the bargaining table to negotiate the end the American involvement in the Vietnam War.

From wackiwickopedia:

Operation Linebacker II was a US Seventh Air Force and US Navy Task Force 77 aerial bombing campaign, conducted against targets in the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North Vietnam) during the final period of US involvement in the Vietnam War. The operation was conducted from 18–29 December 1972, leading to several of informal names such as "The December Raids" and "The Christmas Bombings". It saw the largest heavy bomber strikes launched by the US Air Force since the end of World War II. Linebacker II was a resumption of the Operation Linebacker bombings conducted from May to October, with the emphasis of the new campaign shifted to attacks by B-52 Stratofortress bombers rather than tactical fighter aircraft. 1,600 civilians died in Hanoi and Haiphong during the raids.

Linebackers are known generally for their strength ... but primarily for their swiftness.

A good name for a Deuce. ESPECIALLY a "wannabe" or replica gun-truck.

oddshot

Last edited:

Tahoe

Was debating "Super Collider" but might wait until I see if she exhibits any interesting quirks...

Tahoe

oldMan99

All true. They are also unofficially known as "The Christmas Bombings." These raids were Nixon and Kissenger's way of getting the North Vietnamese to the bargaining table to negotiate the end the American involvement in the Vietnam War.

From wackiwickopedia:

Operation Linebacker II was a US Seventh Air Force and US Navy Task Force 77 aerial bombing campaign, conducted against targets in the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North Vietnam) during the final period of US involvement in the Vietnam War. The operation was conducted from 18–29 December 1972, leading to several of informal names such as "The December Raids" and "The Christmas Bombings". It saw the largest heavy bomber strikes launched by the US Air Force since the end of World War II. Linebacker II was a resumption of the Operation Linebacker bombings conducted from May to October, with the emphasis of the new campaign shifted to attacks by B-52 Stratofortress bombers rather than tactical fighter aircraft. 1,600 civilians died in Hanoi and Haiphong during the raids.

Linebackers are known generally for their strength ... but primarily for their swiftness.

A good name for a Deuce. ESPECIALLY a "wannabe" or replica gun-truck.

oddshot
"but primarily for their swiftness" - Sounds like "Military Intelligence" at work here if your implying that any Deuce is even sort of "Swift" in movement... ("Swiftly sinking in the mud" does not really count)

Sounds almost as sensible as the scooter commercial where they say the old woman was "Limited by her mobility"

Jumbo Shrimp anyone?
;);)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was debating "Super Collider" but might wait until I see if she exhibits any interesting quirks...

Tahoe
Dare I ask....

If you name your truck "Super Collider", will you be soon earning the nickname "CRASH"?

And....
If you DO have an accident, will it be concidered PREMEDITATED ? ! ? ! ?

Inquiring MIMES want to know - - - You just cannot HEAR them asking :cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks