• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT wheel adaptor plates

13 MIKE

Ok, for a dose of reality. All manufactured items are made to a tolerance. That is how far from ideal it can be. If anybody is thinking that the wheels on any of their vehicles is somehow running perfect, think again.

Bridgestone Commercial Truck Tires

Please take the time to read it.

Looks like that first pic shows a wheel held on by flange nuts. Imagine that.

Last edited:

jsaulter

Ok so I did a little math. 16pcs .750 grade 8 studs have a sheer strength of 640,000 lbs. And a 13,500 lbs vehicle to equate that much force must have a vertical fall of 4.5 (aprox.) ft. Now that is with out compensating for deceleration of impact, after I figured for suspension, tire, rim bending, ground absorption, and small other factors I came up with about 1 second of deceleration. And with that in the mix it would take a vertical fall of about 50 ft. to get 648,000 slug ft./em2. At 60 mph forward motion that is 117 ft. jump in the air.

Last edited:

jsaulter

Now with all this said, that is sheer strength of the bolts not load capacity that means the bolts would have been loose, and all the weight of the vehicle would have to be directly over one tire in my figures. Also I did not figure for air density or atmospheric drag. And I have never seen a deuce in hazard county.

mahdey

Now with all this said, that is sheer strength of the bolts not load capacity that means the bolts would have been loose, and all the weight of the vehicle would have to be directly over one tire in my figures. Also I did not figure for air density or atmospheric drag. And I have never seen a deuce in hazard county.
hahaha, your math is correct.

pjpiche1

Ok so I did a little math. 16pcs .750 grade 8 studs have a sheer strength of 640,000 lbs. And a 13,500 lbs vehicle to equate that much force must have a vertical fall of 4.5 (aprox.) ft. Now that is with out compensating for deceleration of impact, after I figured for suspension, tire, rim bending, ground absorption, and small other factors I came up with about 1 second of deceleration. And with that in the mix it would take a vertical fall of about 50 ft. to get 648,000 slug ft./em2. At 60 mph forward motion that is 117 ft. jump in the air.

You are correct! Ok, now do the math on the "hammer effect" of the lateral movement with the tolerances listed on the 6 axle lugs.

mikew

I'm considering putting HEMTT wheels on one of my bobbed trucks, using one of the flat plate adpaters being manufactured by various steelsoldiers memebers (haven't decided which one yet).

Keeping in mind I've not closely looked at how the HEMTT wheels are assembled, but why couldn't you press out the HEMTT studs and replace them with press fit studs who's shank is longer (by the thickness of the adapter plate) and press them into the adapter and wheel.

The HEMTT wheel's studs are pressed in, right?

As long as the adapter plate's holes are the correct size for press in studs, doesn't that solve the problem?

Assuming the original studs are press fit, is anyone making plates who's holes are the correct size for pressed studs?

pjpiche1

I'm considering putting HEMTT wheels on one of my bobbed trucks, using one of the flat plate adpaters being manufactured by various steelsoldiers memebers (haven't decided which one yet).

Keeping in mind I've not closely looked at how the HEMTT wheels are assembled, but why couldn't you press out the HEMTT studs and replace them with press fit studs who's shank is longer (by the thickness of the adapter plate) and press them into the adapter and wheel.

The HEMTT wheel's studs are pressed in, right?

As long as the adapter plate's holes are the correct size for press in studs, doesn't that solve the problem?

Assuming the original studs are press fit, is anyone making plates who's holes are the correct size for pressed studs?

That is my whole point here. That is the safe way to assemble the wheel.

13 MIKE

The studs are pressed in, and my plates holes are sized the same as the rim to accept pressed in studs.

I don't believe its necessary, but i do not argue that it would optimize the assembly.

Wozdirt

Hey Mike, Nice rim plates, they look virtually bulletproof.
I think others here who have not had a hemmt rim apart dont realize that the outer half of the rim fits OVER thin inner half for about an inch and a half of overlap. therefore the Hemmt studs are under tension load with very little shear load possible.

Haggar

Hey Mike, Nice rim plates, they look virtually bulletproof.
I think others here who have not had a hemmt rim apart dont realize that the outer half of the rim fits OVER thin inner half for about an inch and a half of overlap. therefore the Hemmt studs are under tension load with very little shear load possible.
Yeah, in general people tend to look at bolts in these applications as shear pins taking the forces(drive flanges are a good example). Their main job is to provide clamping force, and the shear loads are actually handed by the friction between the clamped parts. Thinking back to the drive-flange case, stronger studs gain strength not by being stronger shear pins, but by allowing more stud torque, which increases the metal-metal clamping force.

I really have to come over and meet you, Mike. I do tons of metalworking on my Jeeps. If I have time, I'll drive by your place tomorrow, hopefully bringing home a deuce from up north tomorrow...

jfnemt1ff1

I do think you went over the top with your plates. I have been looking at this for some time now. I am also a little nervous about the weld on plates, like said above the person welding the wheels have to be top notch. With the bolt on plates I think you should be able to weld them on too if you wanted then you should have a very soild wheel. I plan on geting a set from mike the next time I make it up to Michigan and might even have them welded at a local welding shop.
IMO
John

Preacherboy

I just bought some of these plates today, as soon as I get them painted up and ready I will take some pictures. Then when I get them mounted on my truck I'll take more pictures.

Preacherboy

Well, my plates have been painted with an epoxy primer, now I just need to put them all together and take some pictures for everyone. Unfortunately, I still do not have a truck to mount them on!

Ronbo

I like the look !!! Not being nosy but what is a rough general total cost of the tire and rim set up ? That will be my next project ..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks