• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT wheel adaptor plates

treeguy

I've searched high and low, does anyone have a quick answer to the diameter of the lug nut hole in the deuce wheel? I'm not looking for the chamfer angle or anything else, just the diameter the lug stud goes thru. I am working on my FMTV adapter plate drawing and this is the only number I don't have. Yea, I know, go out and measure it right. Well with the rust and paint and whatever, I need a real number.

Also, what steel is everyone using for their plates, mild or untempered tool steel?

Thanks in advance!

jsaulter

there is a lot more to it than what steel to use. For example it took Mike several days to come up with a safe and practical design. Why not just buy them so much less headache.

kennys@wi.rr.com

At one time there was a guy on here that was going to see about producing the adapter plate to go from 6 bolt to 10 bolt so the rims didn't have to be modified. That idea seems to have been lost now for a while. However, in my push tp get tires sold and out of my shop I have found a guy local that seems to think he can make these adapter plates for us. He currently makes them to go from 8 lug 1 tons to a deuce pattern. I told him that if he can it would need to be priced under $100 each to make it cost effective over the modified rim. What is the thought on that?

ODdave

At one time there was a guy on here that was going to see about producing the adapter plate to go from 6 bolt to 10 bolt so the rims didn't have to be modified. That idea seems to have been lost now for a while. However, in my push tp get tires sold and out of my shop I have found a guy local that seems to think he can make these adapter plates for us. He currently makes them to go from 8 lug 1 tons to a deuce pattern. I told him that if he can it would need to be priced under $100 each to make it cost effective over the modified rim. What is the thought on that?

Good luck with a plate to go from deuce 6 lug to 5-ton 10 lug. Look at the picks in the first post.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I was hoping we would have had an update by now, but as with so many of these builds they seem to get put on the back burner. If I recall correctly he said they came off another deuce so they have seen some use before he got them.

treeguy

Thanks Gringeltaube, that is the exact number that I came up with after scraping some paint and using vernier calipers. I was going with a dished chamfered depth of 1/8" which seems in the ball park. (I did see the dwg of the bowl shape and the 49 degrees.) I faxed my drawing to a shop today and they said they would use 4140 bar steel (6 disk stock for around $260 each) Their grand total was around $4000 for the whole job, not including cutting the center out of the existing ring. Wow!!!!! I think I'll call around.

Guys, the point is/question, has anyone used FMTV rims converted to the deuce. I've looked and didn't find squat. Its a simple conversion, a lot simpler than the HEMTT conversions, just some 1/2" plate machining. Gringeltaube has helped get it straight and I have a CAD drawing for it now but the machining costs seem high. With some offering $125 per plate I can see why folks go that route, but I already have 8 FMTV's so why junk them for the HEMTT's?

BadMastard

Hey Treeguy,

you and I are on the same page. I have 8 fmtv wheels, I'd love to have an adapter plate to fit those. If you have the cad drawings, you are doing excellent! I'm still looking for someone here on the west coast to make them, but I was going to work from the wheel as the template. Let me know how that turns out, as I've got 5 or 6 people asking how mine is going too....

Jerry

treeguy

I'm ready to rock, I just need to find an affordable machinist! Here on the cape they are getting $80-$100 per hour. I called off cape north of Boston and they are around $55 per hour. The problem is that the measurements have to be precise if an out of town shop does it, and I'd have to ship them a few for final fit. The shop I talked to here said like 3 days/24 hrs. I know it takes time to set up, but really! Once you get the drift the machines should just turn and burn!

BM, the hardest part is figuring the disk diameter and the crazy radiused edge to fit nicely against the FMTV corner. That would be the 1/2" end butting up against the so called 20" diameter part. Its not flat there so a typical radius doesn't work. If you just did one simple radius you would be cutting off waisted material from the bolt hole to the edge. The final OD of the disks are 19" and the bolt circle is 17.563" plus or minus 0.0005". Cutting off the 10 hole face is easy, just have a shop spin it off flush with the edge on the larger rim half. I'll let you know how it goes and if I can help you out at all. I wonder if more guys jump on board if a shop could make a longer run to reduce cost?

jsaulter

I still don't understand why you guys don't just save the time and headache and just buy them from 13mike. It's not like he is making millions of of those plates, after you figure time and running you could probably even save money. And yes he dose do bulk order discounts just ask. I have them on my rig and their the best I could find anywhere. Smooth at 70 and tough offroad.

Munchies

I'm a manufacturer of metal goods. I buy millions of pounds of steel a year.

My steel suppliers appreciate my business, so i get pricing very few people can touch. I pass the savings on.

These kind of products are what i make every day, i have been doing it for decades.
You dont happen to be ruffstuff's supplier do you? He told me someone in MI was his guy.....

Dave08

treeguy.....my son works at a local cnc machine shop. He is making my adapter plates for my HEMTT rims for my deuce project. If you send me a PM with the cad drawings of what you want made. I can have him quote it out for you. We would also have to consider shipping. However the uSPS has the new deal with EBay and charges flat rates for shipping on items that fit within the boxes; "If it Fits, it Ships" motto. My adapter plates are costing me next to nothing as my son is doing it. I am making mine out of 1/2" 1040 Steel plate and they will bolt on to the back of the HEMTT rims using the existing pressed in bolts that hold the two half of the rims together. 13Mike has the plates that weld in andis selling them for $120 which everyone seems to think is a good deal. My plates cost me $60 a piece from the metal dealer and they were already cut to an oversized size with the centers cut out for the hub on an undersized size. This way I could make the final milcuts myself to an exact size that I need. I would say that after all is said and done that my plates will end up costing me about $70 each as my son is doing the work for me. I have to also say that I bought the end mil bits to use on this project which cost me anothe r $59. Bottom line, send me the cad drawing and I will have my son quote it out as to the cost of material, labor, and we can figure shipping to get a total price for you. Just trying to help a fellow enthusiast and not trying to make money. Who knows, I might need a favor in the future "Pay it Forward".

Dave08

BadMastard

Treeguy,

Are you still thinking of using the modified wheels or trying for the bolt on adapter to the truck? I'm rather leaning towards the truck adapter after seeing the "bobbed engine swap and hydro steering" link to them. Those would allow us to use the fmtv or other 10 bolt rims without modification to the wheels.