• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here we go long distance deuce recovery

Earth

Farmer Logger Sugarmaker

Brand new here, so hi and thanks for a terrific site. I have just bought a few trucks from fort drum and was going to use the same guy to go over and get them as I use to move my log skidder and dozer around town. 70$ an hour, and about a 6 hour round trip. But I guess I should consider a recovery! Good luck on your journey.

Question: What do you all do about tags and insurance for these recoveries?

maplehillfrm

Brand new here, so hi and thanks for a terrific site. I have just bought a few trucks from fort drum and was going to use the same guy to go over and get them as I use to move my log skidder and dozer around town. 70$ an hour, and about a 6 hour round trip. But I guess I should consider a recovery! Good luck on your journey.

Question: What do you all do about tags and insurance for these recoveries?
hey earth, welcome to teh site,, check your time frame, it looks closer to 6 hrs one way?? 260 miles,, not a lot of interstate driving either//

good luck with your trucks,pat

Earth

Hi Maple hill Farm. Is your sap running? I was born down there in Cortland. Yes, I think I way underestimated the travel time to Fort Drum. At 6 or so hours each way for the lowboy, I had better consider the road trip. What do people do about cops? Insurance is simple enough, do you also get transport tags or something? Thanks

spentshell

Any word from USMC deuce cpl, I wonder if deuce delirium is setting in yet. Somebody should call ahead to his home town ciropracter.I wish him the best of luck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
OK.......fellow green iron addicts and OD green junkies.....here is the latest skinny on the cross country oddesy of Dave and his Dad Doug.
They arrived in fine condition Monday morning and we jumped right to the task at hand of getting his truck ready for the looooooong haul back to Washington.
This included filter changes, installation of springer seats and getting the Jeep ready to be towed back behind the deuce.
Last night we discovered that the lunette would not fit the pintle on the deuce. This morning we used my neighbors tools and shop to reconfigure the pintle.
With Dave doing the heavy lifting the pintle was sized to where the towbar fit like a glove.
They left here around 1300 rolling northwest at a good clip.
I got an update about 1830 that they had a small leak on the top of the transfer case but that he had applied a copious amont of silicone to it and was getting ready to roll again.
The wreck in the red shirt is Wreckerman.
See pics below.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wild Horse Hans

That is great news, but somehow a deuce and "taking off at a good clip" don't seem to fit together in the same sentence:-D
Here's hoping for a safe return trip for them.
Hans

BMCUSNAVY

Dang USMC...... thats a long trip. I just got back saturday with my second deuce from San Clemente calif. at 1400 miles. Trip would have been uneventful, but do to my exhaustion and green horn experience.... it cost me some time & cash. The drain plug in the bellhousing was leaking 90w. me not knowing any better, figured I lost a plug & that the clutch was suppose to be a wet one........ yep, plugged it and added 90w to it. Never the less, clutch slipping and drove the mountain ranges & highways at 30mph....... very painfull & lesson well learned. costing me a clutch, flywheel, pressure plate & throwout bearing. she made it all the way home & I will post pic's of the truck in the future. Good luck & God Be With You.

BMCUSNAVY

USMC..... breakout the Preparation H. My gludeusmaximus was hurting doing the 1400 mile recovery, and then again I only had 2 hrs sleep in the 3 days. I guess the age thing is a factor also. Take it easy & watch those RPM's. If you need any help. give a holler & I will do what I can. My cell number is 360-320-1313. Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks