• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

high horsepower & extremely high torque transmissons?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah given the numbers and weight, A Allison HD is the only way to go.

You do have my curiosity though, is this a completely ground up prototype, or are you basing it off a production engine?
Anyone know if these transmissions are up to the task of those RPMs?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it's apples to oranges on weight, but what kind of numbers are those guys pushing in the new 7000lb pickups that are smoking all the fast street cars on the strip

M925A2 with dump hoist

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know it's apples to oranges on weight, but what kind of numbers are those guys pushing in the new 7000lb pickups that are smoking all the fast street cars on the strip

M925A2 with dump hoist
Not really a good comparison. You're talking a huge weight difference. HP numbers, sure 1K is doable from modern pickup truck diesels. Heck I had 500rwhp in my dodge that was a daily driver. But the torque will be a bit different in it's bands between the two. Also consider that weight works backwards as well. It's easier from a "leverage" perspective to move 10K lbs than it is to move 20K lbs. The lever being the transmission.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking in terms of scale, (torque vs weight) those pickups are already putting more demand on their transmissions.
Maybe their trany builders would be a good place to look for build tips on a big Alison

M925A2 with dump hoist

BenRoberts

Certified insane
I know some of the guys at Firepunk diesel in plain city ohio. They build custom trannys for high hp trucks. I have one in my pickup. They have won the diesel power challenge 2 years in a row now.

HETvet

I'm not going to throw the BS flag, but from what I have see, it's hard to believe. With out knowing what kind of bolt pattern the block has, we can't really give you a direction to go with transmissions. In the light duty world, you can build any of the transmissions to handle the power, be it for a short period of time. In the medium/heavy duty range, a twin or triple countershaft transmission is the way to go. They will take the power and weight with out much fuss. But it's a non synchronized transmission with a trans brake. You could float the gears like they do in big rigs, but that just makes rebuilds more frequent. The trans brake is friction material on the trans housing and the throw out bearing is a pull type; if you push the clutch to the floor, you engage the brake slowing the rotation of the transmission for first or reverse engaugment from a dead stop. Activate this at any other time while the vehicle is moving and you will **** *** **! Not to mention these transmissions are super expensive. To make 1Khp reliably, again is not cheep or budget friendly. Just don't seem logical to drop that kind of coin when there are proven, more caust effecency ways to do what you want to do. There is a reason mark Cuban hasn't designed and built his own Ferrari, the Italian one works and is Cheeper. Just sayin

Last edited by a moderator:

dk8019

This could be done. One could take a Detroit 8V92 or the even bigger 12 cylinders could easily make 1000HP and hit those torque numbers. Fitting it into a 5-ton I'm not sure, but crazier things have been done. It's spendy no doubt!

HETvet

Cummins ISX15, DD15, CAT C18 all will make that power easily. But hard to fit. A DT466 will do it as well and fit. The problem is the transmissions ability to take that much torque at such a low RPM while moving that size of a vehicle under the abusive conditions the OP is planning on putting it through. Every aspect of this is spendy. Would love to see it done, but the combination of requirements seems to be a pipe dream from my point of view

ScubaCat

Until you find out how much it costs.

;-)
Ain't that the truth...Speed costs money how fast can you afford to go? I was on the phone with an Allison rep yesterday and the tannies your looking for are in $20k area, PLUS exta parts and fab needed PLUS set up and dialing in...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks