• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Highway speed

212sparky

I always drive with my convoy light flashing. I also added lollipops to the front and marker lights to the side of my deuce bed. The lollipops and marker lights are wired to come on any time the master switch is on. Once I repaint my truck I am adding the red reflective tape to it.

tim292stro

...Reminds me of the HET trip....

...speed limit jumped to 85. Doing 45 in a 85 is nerve racking. Had the whoopee light on the entire trip, still managed to get hit by a semi...
For you HET drivers and owners of heavy slow lumbering beasts - head over to a sign shop, or traffic safety shop (the kind that will make temporary signs for construction zones) and get a sign that looks like a speed limit sign (24" x 30"), but in 3M Diamond Grade Flourescent Yellow-Green with the wording:

Maximum
Speed
(your number)

That yellow-green color is unnatural in wilderness, and the Diamond Grade reflective material is visible over a mile away even when dirty of wet. That size will come on an aluminum backing and usually with pre-punched holes which is easy to bungee to a truck. Probably looking at $50-100 of cost.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't mention reflective tape. For those who don't want something permanent on a showable preserved military vehicle (which all of mine are), magnets again come into play.

I buy magnetic sheet at the hobby/craft store and stick reflective tape to it. Most of the 3M tape I have is 2" wide, as it that red/white stuff you can get at the parts store. I like that that red/white stuff, it is incredibly bright, but I usually cut it into separate colours.

I stick the tape to the magnet sheet and cut along the edge with kitchen scissors. You can make the lengths whatever you wish, but I like 2"x6" (you can string as many as you want together to make bigger areas). White for the front (when you park), yellow for the side, and red for the back.

I also like to take the yellow ones and cut them into 1"x12" strips, which I will partially outline the vehicle with.

None of it is permanent, once you are off the road, just pull all your magnets off and stick them inside somewhere. When I'm at a show and don't want them on my cab interior walls, I stick them to the inside walls of a 40mm ammo can and put the lid on!

Cheers

PS - when I first came up with this idea, I tested it on the hood and sides of my POV. The magnets stayed in place at 80mph (yes, we have some high speed roads here!).

Last edited:

ke5eua

Good, but IMHO too small. My above suggestion was based on Highway safety specs - you have to be able to see it and understand it far enough away for it to make a difference. 2cents
It is fully reflective, that coupled with the Amber flashing lights still gets cars honking and giving you single digit gestures.

I've come to realize it doesn't matter what I do, wether being the the far most right lane, driving the shoulder, people will still be people and care only about themselves on the road.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I almost got rear ended by a tractor trailer when I was driving my deuce pulling my M105 Trailer out to Michigan. I look in my side mirror only to see a tractor trailer swerve at the last minute and take out the car in the other lane. the other car was fortunate and only got its back bumper ripped off. I very well could have been on the other side of the grass myself. Makes me think about getting convoy lights for these busy highways.

ke5eua

I almost got rear ended by a tractor trailer when I was driving my deuce pulling my M105 Trailer out to Michigan. I look in my side mirror only to see a tractor trailer swerve at the last minute and take out the car in the other lane. the other car was fortunate and only got its back bumper ripped off. I very well could have been on the other side of the grass myself. Makes me think about getting convoy lights for these busy highways.
Please tell me it was a swift truck, please let it be a swift truck.

Even with the convoy lights they act like you aren't there and slam into the back of you. Trust me, I know from experience. Wife is still scared of big rigs.

74M35A2

I believe the minimum speed limit on most Michigan freeways is 55mph now. Driving 48mph is likely going to shoulder at least some liability that I don't believe an amber beacon changes. You should up the speed, or stay off the freeway. Don't just post silly stories of how you were almost liquefied "for no apparent reason". Dude, you are going 48mph in 70mph traffic. What do you think is going to happen? You pretty much need to drive on the shoulder at that speed, running over all your treasures.

ke5eua

I believe the minimum speed limit on most Michigan freeways is 55mph now. Driving 48mph is likely going to shoulder at least some liability that I don't believe an amber beacon changes. You should up the speed, or stay off the freeway. Don't just post silly stories of how you were almost liquefied "for no apparent reason". Dude, you are going 48mph in 70mph traffic. What do you think is going to happen? You pretty much need to drive on the shoulder at that speed, running over all your treasures.
You are aware there are commercial vehicles that cannot go 60. They use amber beacons to warn drivers they are going well under the speed limit.

Just like tow trucks, safety vehicles, construction equipment, and the list goes on, they use amber beacons to warn the drivers to use caution when approaching.

We can provide the warnings, it is not up to use to make sure the drivers obey.

As someone who did get hit by a semi while in a het, and having all the appropriate safety warnings on I actually took offense to your comment. My situation granted was a little different as I was at a complete stop. If the driver of the semi had been paying attention like the other cars that managed to go around me safely he wouldn't have hit me going 50+.

This thread is to reflect on what can happen, as the gentleman lost his life and how we should make sure we're seen and safe. This is why we shouldn't reply to the last comment, but instead get caught up with the thread. Negativity imo isn't needed in this thread.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the funny looking beacons can look funny on a road trip, but when it comes down to it at the end of the day, getting there in one piece safely is what everybody wants. It's sad that the gentleman lost his life but if we can all learn something and maybe make some changes so we stay safer, than all is not lost. I look at some of the new cop cars today that have the crazy strobes and bright lights and i wonder how people back years ago did it without all the new technology. If you are driving on the highway and even if you have a revolving light, something is better than nothing. I have been in heavy traffic on the highway and sometimes my instincts kick in and i put my hazard flashers on. Every little bit helps... which reminds me, I should get my LED Grote tail lights hooked up.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is fully reflective, that coupled with the Amber flashing lights still gets cars honking and giving you single digit gestures.
But that means they noticed you! :)

I don't care if what I put on my trucks will make me look like a clown car, so long as I get seen. If someone points and says "Looks like a clown car", then I'm in good shape.

But common sense tells me that driving at silly slow speeds on an interstate is unwise. My Unimog will do almost 60, given the right conditions, but it can't maintain it on even the slightest up grade. So, if it goes on the highway, it's because it is on a lowboy. Same goes for the guys in our club with jeeps and M37's, they are trailer queens on the highway.

Cheers

ke5eua

Since our last trip in the truck and bringing fuzzy his deuce we now know we can take 190 from the house here in Zachary to temp tx.

I won't get on an interstate now unless I can't avoid it, and it better be 3 lanes at that.

My grandparents saw us coming back to Louisiana when they were headed to Texas the same weekend we brought the deuce up. My grandfather told me he figured it was me after he saw the mini van trailing behind, both of us on the shoulder letting cars pass.

With the time of the rally, be safe on your travels.

quickfarms

It is true that historic military vehicles do not do car freeway speeds.

This is more of an issue for the smaller vehicles.

The larger vehicles are of similar size to large commercial vehicles, class 7 or 8. A lot of the mega carrier tractor trailers are governed around 60 miles per hour. Placarded loads and permitted loads are restricted to 55 mph.

One issue that our vehicles do have is that they do not meet the current lighting and reflector standards. You can add the dot standard red and silver reflective tape to the sides and rear of the vehicle. If you do not want to make it permanent then use the magnetic strips. Another thing that you can do is replace the old faded reflectors with new ones.

The yellow reflective material is restricted to warning signs. The size of the sign, font, layout and letter size is covered in a very detailed manual on sign design for highways. The higher the speed limit the larger the sign needs to be. Even the wording is standardized.

The use of warning lights, including color, is regulated by both the states and dot. Certain classes of vehicles are permitted to have lights. My work truck is allowed to have flashing lights, arrow stick etc by the type of work i do. If I put a amber light on my military vehicle I would need to get a permit.

Making the vehicles more visible is a great idea but it comes with a warning. Impaired drivers are drawn towards flashing lights. A few years ago a study was attempted to determine the most effective type of warning devices placed on the highway at night. The devices included flashing lights, rotating beacons, arrow stick, arrow board and several others. The study was terminated prior to completion due to the high number of impaired peopled running into the devices.

The approach that it take involves several factors. First make sure the vehicle is in great operating condition and capable of its design speed. Second select a route that closely matches the vehicle capability to the speed limit. Third do not load the vehicle in such a way that it's capability is not compromised. Fourth upgrade the vehicles lights and reflectors, on jeeps this involves adding the passenger brake light. Fifth add dot reflective tape, mounted on magnetic strips to the rear of the vehicle.

tim292stro

...One issue that our vehicles do have is that they do not meet the current lighting and reflector standards. You can add the dot standard red and silver reflective tape to the sides and rear of the vehicle. If you do not want to make it permanent then use the magnetic strips. Another thing that you can do is replace the old faded reflectors with new ones...
My edit to my earlier post was probably missed by those who got in the thread early (no new email triggered when I did the edit).

...The yellow reflective material is restricted to warning signs...
I have yet to find this law, can you point to it? The laws I've found regulate signage posted on the road as an official traffic control device, not a safety sign placed on the rear of your vehicle. State-to-State reciprocity also applies, so keep that in mind. NFPA (NFPA 1901) is requiring new fire apparatus to have 50% of the rear face of Trucks/Engines covered with reflective 6" Fluorescent Yellow or Yellow-Green and 6" Red Chevrons.

...Fifth add dot reflective tape, mounted on magnetic strips to the rear of the vehicle...
I agree, and if anyone needs another prod to do this, here is the FMVSS 108 section of the CFR Title 49, Section 571.108.S5.7 (scroll down to S5.7). To summarize, red/white reflective strips are required around the sides and at the rear of the truck, and white reflective strips in the shape of an "L" should be at the top of your cab or the top outline of you trailer.

ke5eua

The use of warning lights, including color, is regulated by both the states and dot. Certain classes of vehicles are permitted to have lights. My work truck is allowed to have flashing lights, arrow stick etc by the type of work i do. If I put a amber light on my military vehicle I would need to get a permit.
All military vehicles have the option to add a convoy beacon. It's a kit, supply orders them, mechanics install.

I had typed a sentence saying how cali is horrible and blah blah, rules, regulations then I googled "regulations on amber lights" and was surprised to find several states require permits.

Now as someone who has spent way more time on the interstates than I really would have cared to I can say most OTR drivers don't worry with the permits for the beacons. Overweight, width, height is one thing, but look at semi's, a lot have beacons, bars, or some other type of amber device.

Another thing I realized is some car manufactures incorporate the third light to flash several times when breaking before going solid. Don't think people worry about permits, or even think about it.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, I'd rather have it and ask for forgiveness then get hit and have the cop ask where is your warning light to advise traffic of you.

tim292stro

...Another thing I realized is some car manufactures incorporate the third light to flash several times when breaking before going solid. Don't think people worry about permits, or even think about it...
CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 25250-25282

(c) Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by Section 24603 [TS] this is a "third brake light" as defined in that section [/TS] may be equipped so as to flash not more than four times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of the brakes.

And again state reciprocity applies - if I drive my California plated truck in any other state and that's the reason I get pulled over, I have it printed out in the glove box to save the officer some paperwork and time ;). I think you'd be suprised to find how many states specifically allow this by vehicle code.

Also in CA, vehciles that pose a specific traffic hazzard may display an amber flashing light while moving (not 4-ways). The way they have it worded basically makes it "anything unusual". :beer:

135gmc

As I've aged, I have found that my night vision is worse than when I was younger - as a result, I try to get to my destination before dark. When I had my military trucks, that was an absolute rule in my mind. Even with upgraded lighting & reflector tape, anything OD will be hard to see at night, and if its raining, it gets even worse. Side roads aren't the total answer since many of them are poorly lit and not well suited to a driver who doesn't know the area.

Also, the later at night you are on the road, the greater the danger - drivers with too much to drink, drivers trying to stay awake, drivers trying to make time, house / machinery movers - all add to the danger.

The idea to get a large reflectorized sign for the rear of your truck sounds like a good one - a large 3M reflector can definitely be seen

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks