• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Highway speed

Woodsplinter

You can buy 3M "Reflexite" conspicuity tape in 2" x 18" strips for $2.49 from:
www.uscargocontrol.com

They have lots of similar items also.

I have this tape on my deuce and it is much brighter and more reflective than the stuff I bought at the home center.

quickfarms

Also in CA, vehciles that pose a specific traffic hazzard may display an amber flashing light while moving (not 4-ways). The way they have it worded basically makes it "anything unusual". :beer:
If you read the entire section it specifically describes the vehicles that are authorized to have amber flashing lights.

tim292stro

Indeed, and I'm covered under two of the "authorized" definitions - usually an easy way to get under the wing of "authorized" is to join your local Search and Rescue team, usually run by the county. In my jurisdiction I can actually use red lights (though I don't).

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lollipops, LED side marker, ID, turn signal/running, and tail lights, conspic tape (front, back and on the inside of the doors), reflective signs. I've changed the bed since these pics, but the rear set up is pretty much the same.
DSC_0035.jpgDSC_0034.jpgDSC_0144.jpgSDC12320.jpg

74M35A2

I want to apologize to anybody which took my statement/opinion as inconsiderate, as that was not the intention at all. It is a tragedy when anybody is injured or more. Again, I did not read this thread entirely and I should have before posting. Lesson learned, and I have egg on my face for it.

I am going to research the minimum vehicle speed definition and requirements for my state of MI. Not really for myself, because my M925A2 can reach 67mph in stock form, but more for my bud WildChild and his M35A2 which tops out about 49mph. I don't want to see him in front of a judge on the losing end of a conversation, something like this:

"Do you know the minimum freeway speed?"
"Yes, it is 55mph."
"Why were you going 49mph?"
"Because my truck can't go any faster"
"Then why did you chose to enter the freeway sir, knowing the minimum required speed, instead of taking another route?"

Again, apology to any offended, that was not the point at all. This seems to be a gray area and its changing state-to-state does not make the discussion any easier.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Here in CT there is a minimum of 45mph on the highway. Legally as long as you are 45 or over there's nothing anyone can say. Many many times I have seen little old ladies cruising along at 45. Personally I think if you can't do at least 55 you are an accident waiting to happen. Thru no fault of your own but the highways of today flow at 60-70mph. Under 55 you need flashing lights. That's one of the reasons wreckers are required to have lots of flashing lights and they must be on when towing a vehicle.

quickfarms

Here in CA the truck speed limit is 55. When climbing hills trucks tend to slow down. Hazards are used below 45.

There is a section of the grapevine that has a truck speed limit of 35.

The Cajon has a reduced truck speed limit on the downhill side.

Here in CA Amber beacons require a permit on the freeway. It is scary to watch how a lot of drivers react to an amber beacon. They panic.

saddamsnightmare

July 20th, 2015.

Another reason I retrofitted my M35A2 with the convoy lights and masts, so at night they could be extended above the cargo top on the bed. I also would fit the truck or trailer with the reflectorized "Convoy Ahead" military convoy sign to increase my visibility.... God rest the fellow driving that combination... I hope they pull the license of the guy that hit him, a driver like that should not be on the road.

NB: An M35A2 in good shape should be able to pull 53 MPH at just below red line on the level, and if fitted with 11:00X20 tires can roll as fast a 60MPH on the level.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

July 20th, 2015.

Another reason I retrofitted my M35A2 with the convoy lights and masts, so at night they could be extended above the cargo top on the bed. I also would fit the truck or trailer with the reflectorized "Convoy Ahead" military convoy sign to increase my visibility.... God rest the fellow driving that combination... I hope they pull the license of the guy that hit him, a driver like that should not be on the road.
So very sad.Makes me appreciate my convoy lights even more.Al
I lost track of the story here. I went back a couple of pages. Does anybody remember the post# where the story was?

turnkey

Like to learn from the best and I went to a Drivers ed class at the local college.....Learned a lot I didn't know and the rig looks like a Xmas tree at night...Use the reflective tape also ...Grandkids had a blast putting that stuff on the back and front of the rig.......Prayers go out to both families of the really bad accident,....I like to see and hear what others have to say and what they do to their MVs........This is a great wake up call....Take the time to keep it safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks