• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV's for sale, no longer maybe, it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdaniels

I don't know $h#! from shinola what the up coming price will be on the latest possible releases of Humvee's, but in 2001 when I purchased mine I paid $19,500 for it from a MV dealer in Augusta ,Ga. On the SF97 I got with it I saw where it was sold to them for $7500. My truck was pretty much stripped of canvas and doors but was in excellent running condition.

Many of the earlier trucks went for much more depending on condition but like anything eles I'd be willing to bet that once the folks have one that want one the prices will stabilize some. If those who purchased Humvees back in 2000-2001 will remember some of the SF-97's were marked for "off road use only" as well but not all of them were. I know mine wasn't and I applied for and recieved a ALABAMA title with the original vehicle serial #.

I don't know what this will do to the price of the older Humvees or the hobby as a whole, but I see a LOT of FUN coming soon. And after all that's why I got in the hobby to start with. Best of luck to all the coming buyers/owners.

SEMPER FI !!

keith

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prices will stabilize if the sales continue. The first guy on the block will pay more than subsequent sales. I remember one of the very first M35A3 trucks sold. It came out of Homestead ARB FL and with taxes and fees, eclipsed $50,000. Somebody had to have the first one and paid a premium. I think this event will be similar.

RangerBob

A Yahoo! story...

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motor...rst-time-—-but-there-s-a-catch-214533984.html

Army selling Humvees to the public for the first time — but there's a catch

By Steve Siler
1 hour ago
Motoramic

If you, like this author, always dreamed of using a camo-covered, Army-issue Humvee as your personal golf cart, your dreams can finally come true — for a price.
According to the Army Times, the Department of Defense will start auctioning off as many as 4,000 military-spec Humvees to the public as part of its surplus-reduction efforts. In previous years, the off-road behemoths would have been sent straight to the military scrapyard, but due to changes in policies in recent years and what the Defense Logistics Agency spokesperson Michelle McCaskill describes as “cooperation from other government offices," the used Humvees will be sold instead of scrapped for the first time.

Via a contract won by IronPlanet.com, the first batch of 25 surplus Humvees will go up for auction on Wednesday. Most appear to have been built between 1987 and 1994, with anywhere from 1,361 to 38,334 miles of service to this country as troop and/or cargo transporters. Each of the current and future Humvees to be publically auctioned will have been inspected for defects prior to sale and stripped of any “military characteristics;" any wily-eyed customers and vigilante types will have to supply their own armor or artillery deployment devices.
Prices will start at $10,000, and owners are responsible for arranging transportation of their new playthings and paying in full within three days of the sale. In case you were planning to rumble up to church on Christmas morning and scare the little old ladies in the parking lot in one of these things, they will not be considered roadworthy. Not only will there be no titles for them, the lucky winners have to sign documents specifying exactly how they'll be used.

Despite their limited usability, Randy Berry, IronPlanet’s senior vice president for operations and services, says that there is a lot of pent-up demand for the Humvees, according to the report, and that he expects to have a steady stream of them available in the future.
Besides terrorizing a golf course, we imagine a lot of interesting ways to use one’s personal Humvee, from ranching to farming to deer hunting to painting it red and making it the coolest Christmas sleigh ever. So if you’re a really adventurous type with a lot of property and a fancy new F-150 that you’re sick of getting muddy, click on www.govplanet.com, pick out your favorite, and get ready to sit by your computer on December for your chance to own it.

Last edited by a moderator:

nattieleather

Why do I get the feeling that this will go to the last second and the the government will pull them back and say "Bazinga!"

Even with the restrictions of being sold "off road use only" I think this is a positive step in the right direction.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just saw a report on this on FOX TV NEWS.

Now all the conservative and unbiased news-watchers will be jumping on those $10,000 government surplus Humvees like they used to buy up the infamous $50.00 Jeeps in a crate ! ! !

Psychologists will be studying this phenomenon for decades to come.

Carry on.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just saw a report on this on FOX TV NEWS.

Now all the conservative and unbiased news-watchers will be jumping on those $10,000 government surplus Humvees like they used to buy up the infamous $50.00 Jeeps in a crate ! ! !

Psychologists will be studying this phenomenon for decades to come.

Carry on.
Look how they buy the new iPhone

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a pain it would be to own one of those Humvees without being able to drive them to where you want to go. It'll be like having a big sand-rail you have to haul to get anywhere. What's the plan?

You'll need to trailer them to the forest and have security where you stage your pulling vehicle to go off-roading. Not sure if your 'public land' rules are the same as ours but some areas require insurance and registration to be off-road. We get fines in the thousands if we don't have proper insurance while off-road. Nothing but problems.

Before a guy drops a bid he better consider all the nasty costs and extra work having a restricted, two piston paper weight with an orange bumper.....that can't be driven.

Better off buying a quad or a dune buggy. Gonna be a great big, overweight pain in the pocket book. I see no way to get them up here either so the market is limited for future re-sale. I'm sure I haven't thought of all the great things with owning one of these, just don't see the excitement for a limited use toy.

What other difficulties will you have with the off-road restrictions?

I do wish everyone good luck with the adventure though. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good flight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBj4BdpFVJ0

undysworld

The devil is probably in the details. We had to hunt for them.

If you carefully examine the conditions of the sale, you have to pay extra for a Bill of Sale, plus you have to sign a federal document (EUC DLA Form-1822) stating that you will not operate the Humvee on-road and assume all liability for whatever happens to the truck "down the road". That means, if you do put it on the road, or someone else gets ahold of the truck and does something bad, then you are responsible. If you break this agreement, you are in violation of Federal Law.

This is from Gov. Planet's website:

• This item is offered for Off-Road Use Only.
  • Buyer will be required to sign a Hold Harmless Agreement.
  • No title will be available. Bill of sale available at request of buyer (fee may apply).
  • Buyer is required to submit an End-Use Certificate (EUC) to be reviewed prior to removal of the item.
  • Security requirements and restrictions may apply at the time of pickup. See shipping terms for details
  • Specific terms & conditions apply. See details
http://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Humve ... %2Cct%7C30
WAIVER AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT
THIS AGREEMENT entered into effective the date signed , is made by and between ______________________ ("Buyer”) and in favor of GovPlanet ("GP") and the U.S. Defense Logistics Agency Disposition Services (“DLA Disposition Services”).
WHEREAS, on date of sale , Buyer purchased from GP a certain AM General HMMWV Serial # serial number (“Humvee”) currently located at location in city, state (the “Premises”).
WHEREAS, to take physical possession of the Humvee, Buyer intends to enter upon the Premises and transport the Humvee out of and off of the Premises to a site of its own determination.
NOW, THEREFORE, intending to be legally bound, with respect to Buyer’s ownership and retrieval of the Humvee from the Premises, Buyer does hereby agree as follows:

1. Buyer acknowledges that the Humvee is not roadworthy and agrees that Humvee is for off-highway use only.
  2. Buyer acknowledges and agrees that neither GP nor DLA Disposition Services will have any liability to Buyer or third persons for any damages of any kind whatsoever arising directly or indirectly from Buyer’s use of the Humvee or in connection with this Agreement. Buyer shall be responsible for, and GP and DLA Disposition Services shall have no liability whatsoever for, any claims, suits, actions, proceedings, losses, costs, expenses or liabilities of whatever nature (present or future and environmental or otherwise) arising out of or in any way connected with Buyer’s use of the Humvee, regardless of the cause, and including any alleged fault or negligence of GP or DLA Disposition Services.
  3. The Humvee is made available to Buyer on an “AS IS WHERE IS” basis only and neither GP nor DLA Disposition Services makes any guarantees, representations or warranties, expressed or implied, statutory or otherwise, of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, non-infringement, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, and GP and DLA Disposition Services expressly disclaim all warranties with respect thereto.
  4. Buyer agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless GP and DLA Disposition Services and their subsidiaries and affiliates, their respective owners, directors, employees, representatives, agents and attorneys and all persons acting by, through or in concert with them or any of them from and against any and all claims, suits, actions, proceedings, losses, costs, expenses or liabilities of whatever nature arising out of or in any way connected with Buyer’s use, control, operation, maintenance, service, or repair of the Humvee after delivery thereof to Buyer or from any other cause including the alleged condition of the Humvee or any claimed fault or negligence of GP or DLA Disposition Services.
    IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Buyer has executed this Agreement on the date last written below.
http://www.govplanet.com/help/HMMWV_Hold_Harmless.pdf

Buyers will not get an SF-97 form.
4.2. Transfer of Title to Vehicles. If requested, IronPlanet will supply a SF97 to customers under the following conditions: The vehicle must have been sold in a "useable" property sale. There is a processing fee of $60 for EACH SF97 requested. Customers requiring a Florida state certificate of title or duplicate state certificate of title will be charged $77.75. In addition, IronPlanet will charge a document preparation fee of $100 for each Florida state certificate of title or duplicate state certificate of title. IronPlanet will determine whether your state requires a state certificate of title or a SF97.

1. END-USE CERTIFICATES (EUC) (DLA FORM-1822)
IRONPLANET WILL NOT SELL ANY DEMIL F OR Q PROPERTY WITHOUT AN APPROVED END-USE CERTIFICATE. When an END-USE-CERTIFICATE (EUC) is required to complete the transaction, no property will be released or removed until all certificates are filed and the property has been cleared for release. There will be no exceptions or exclusions to this requirement. The edition of the EUC, DLA Form-1822, provided online is the ONLY valid form accepted for this sales event. Once it is determined that you are the high bidder, after the sale close date, the following deadlines apply: You will have seven business days from the sale closing date to submit a completed EUC. If revisions to the EUC are necessary, you will have an additional five business days to make revisions and submit an EUC capable of being accepted by IronPlanet or the DLA Office of Criminal Investigations Trade Security Control ("TSC") Office, whichever will be reviewing the EUC. Buyers who have not submitted an acceptable EUC (DLA Form-1822) within 12 business days will have their winning bids voided and liquidated damages assessed equal to the greater of 25% of the winning bid or thirty dollars ($30).

http://www.govplanet.com/pop/terms_page.jsp?noh1=yes&id=7

rmgill

I wonder if there's a legal challenge as to the unsuitability for these as on road vehicles as compared to the lot sold in Atlanta that apparently were and have been on the road for more than a decade. ie, a challenge under equal protection under the law. It makes no rhyme or reason that one set is and another set is not from a federal regulatory standpoint.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryan, the same argument might be valid with all the FDs and PDs that have them. The emissions thing was solved with the last sales scare, a simple memorandum. I'm sure a simple memorandum is all that is required to work this out. The GA MVPAC might be able to get it going!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An update with all the trucks and prices will be posted when the sale closes

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If you carefully examine the conditions of the sale, you have to pay extra for a Bill of Sale, plus you have to sign a federal document (EUC DLA Form-1822) stating that you will not operate the Humvee on-road and assume all liability for whatever happens to the truck "down the road". That means, if you do put it on the road, or someone else gets ahold of the truck and does something bad, then you are responsible. If you break this agreement, you are in violation of Federal Law.
While I'm not a lawyer, I'm not sure how you got holding them harmless and accepting liability for what a future person does from the agreement quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks