• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I get it home?

jaymcb

I recently purchased an M109a4 from GL. I'm supposed to pick it up next Friday, and get it from MD to MA. The issue is, I do not have an Sf97, and GL won't generate one until it is removed, leaving me in a chicken/egg situation title and registration-wise. I would like to drive it back, and it seems like it would make the trip.

Anyone out there with tips and tricks on how to get this thing insured so I can legally drive it?

From a second question point, now that I won it, what do I need to know before I drive it? My CDL lapsed over 10 years ago :)

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick, before they see you, search insurance and new deuce owner on this site. It's not well recieved here when you ask questions that easily be answered by a simple search. You shouldn't need a CDL for a deuce since it's under 26K GVW. Do some quick reading before you pick it up, Just do a search of anthing that you have a question about.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently purchased an M109a4 from GL. I'm supposed to pick it up next Friday, and get it from MD to MA. The issue is, I do not have an Sf97, and GL won't generate one until it is removed, leaving me in a chicken/egg situation title and registration-wise. I would like to drive it back, and it seems like it would make the trip.

Anyone out there with tips and tricks on how to get this thing insured so I can legally drive it?

From a second question point, now that I won it, what do I need to know before I drive it? My CDL lapsed over 10 years ago :)

No CDL needed. Get insurance on it-should just be a phone call to your agent. Most states offer temp tags. You really need to read the manuals though so you know what to look for and how to service/fix if needed. What are you going to do if say, there's a hole in the side of the block that GL didn't show in the pics?

KsM715

:ditto:Get insurance (no paperwork needed, just a vin#) and either go thru the hassle of getting temp. trip permits or just drive it home with all your GL paid and dated invoice. When you buy a used car out of the classifieds in the paper, (man, how long has it been since that was done?) who bothers to get temp tags and all that? Every vehicle (used, not from a dealer) I ever bought I drove home with just a signed title or bill of sale. I drove both the deuce and the M818 home from Oklahoma without any tags, no problem, even had the highway patrol follow me for miles on a 2lane state road with my civy jeep in tow and he never looked at me like I was doing something wrong.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
and it seems like it would make the trip.
What makes you think this? Did you preview it or have someone else preview it?

The last guy here that tried this said shipping was money wasted. He then drove out to get his truck, only to find it had a bad transmission. After several thousand more than shipping, I don't think he has his truck home yet.

Here's one of his recent posts,
This green fever is getting too expensive for me, if i ever get this A3 home it will about $11,000.00 hard money.
Better think this through some more

Last edited:

hilber

Maybe some of us have faith. I bought a deuce in Huntsville. It was running in the video, so myself and wife drove out. It drove fine on lot so we took off. Narry a problem. Took 7 hrs for the 280 mile trip, but that is what I expected. If there had been a problem I know a wrecker guy to call. It probably helps that I have driven over road and still maintain a CDL, but you gotta step out on faith.

Josh

No idea if MA is the same as Oregon, But here if ya buy a new car, and already have insurance on another vehicle, the state requires the insurance company to cover the new car for up to 30 days.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....... if ya buy a new car, and already have insurance on another vehicle, the state requires the insurance company to cover the new car for up to 30 days.
I am not sure if the automatic coverage applies to vehicles over 10k pounds. Progressive does not cover anything over 10k so it might be advised to call your company to verify the coverage applies to deuces.

Rick

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe some of us have faith. I bought a deuce in Huntsville. It was running in the video, so myself and wife drove out. It drove fine on lot so we took off. Narry a problem. Took 7 hrs for the 280 mile trip, but that is what I expected. If there had been a problem I know a wrecker guy to call. It probably helps that I have driven over road and still maintain a CDL, but you gotta step out on faith.

After picking up about 20 2.5 ton trucks in the last 5 years, I would guess about 4 or 5 of them would have been road worthy, and made a successful 250 mile trip home, safely. Thats 25/75% odds.

one more thought, if it has any tires that are flat now, I would not even consider driving it home. Those tires have a bad reputation of failure(from the stress of sitting flat)

What do you base your faith on?

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I came with spare everything when I picked up my M35A2C for a 189 mile trip back home. Ended up having to change the batteries, and repair the brakes, no other issues.

I'm now going over my truck from top to bottom changing all fluids and checking everything. So far I have discovered one of the bearing cages broke (discovered when I changed oil), although the T-case has no issues presently, it could fail in the next 10 miles or last 500 until the bearings wear down and fall out.

Front brake cylinder was shot, (I'm replacing all 6 with new).

Clutch linkage was too tight (no play), and one of the link bolts was half way out (i.e., if it worked out the rest of the way I would not have had a clutch.)

Everything else was perfect. grease and oil look almost new, just pointing out that you should weigh your options of paying for shipping and doing all this work in the comfort of your own home. There is a lot of wisdom when they suggest not driving it home. I spent the day getting mine to a point where I could drive it home and took it slow. If I had it to do over, I would have just shipped it.

BTW, my truck looked perfect from GL, No rust, 1987 model, looks like it lived on paved roads it's entire life.

Last edited:

Goose2448

Shipping? Has someone mentioned that? That great a distance, in a truck that has sat for an undefined period of time.
And besides, 95 around anywhere and somewhere, is an accident waiting to happen, 80+ traffic and a truck doing maybe 55. Dont think it cant happen to you, it happened to another member a few months ago, and sadly he did not walk away form that one.

Last edited:

91W350

Five out of the last nine deuces I picked up needed work to roll or stop on their own. Three were not repairable for the average guy on site or roadside. Who carries a new fuel tank on a recovery? I got them all out of there with my deuce or one of the deuces I was picking up. Glen

M215

Shipping

Of the three GL vehicles I have purchased, all three needed prep before driving them home. All were within three hrs of home and while waiting for my EUC to clear I made trips to prep the vehicles. When all was good with the EUC, I dropped in my batteries and drove them home. Each trip was done with a support vehicle with spares and a back up plan.
Option #1 ship it home
Option #2 prep in advance with back up plans (tow truck company phone numbers)
Option #3 fly by the seat of your pants and enjoy the adventure!

Just my $.02

rlwm211

Another option is to contact a SS member who is in the area and see if they can pick up the truck, and get it home locally. Depending on who you get and how busy they are, this may cost you some, a lot or nothing.

After you get the truck off base, you can fly, or drive down and review the truck with someone who knows what needs to be done. I would strongly suggest you go this route due to all the reasons the previous posts have mentiioned that can occur or are currently defective.

Depending on how long it can take for your SF97, you will have quite a bit of time to get the truck all set to go on the road and also maybe get some Seat Time in a deuce before you head out into the wild blue yonder.

Your last choice is to have it shipped and it will be pricey but I am sure there are those here who can refer you to someone reputable.

I do not mean to be a downer on this and it is great you bought a truck. Just use your head and ask for help in ways that someone can actually help you.

There is a list somewhere on the site that is considered the essential recovery list of things to bring. Even so, most folks who use this approach have many years of experience fixing these trucks.

Hope this helps

RL

ralbelt

Md to Ma thats a straight shot on some of the worst roads on the east coast. If you have a failure in one of those highly congested areas, on Rt 95, even at slower speeds it can turn real nasty real quick.

I have watched deuce auctions on GL but they are all to far. If you decide to drive it and need assistance in RI I am right off Exit 8 Rt 95. Good luck with the recovery.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Looking at your join date etc. Were it me I would find a SS member close to the GL site where truck is now. Try to find a person that has a CAT powered M35 or M109 as there are a few things different that one needs to look for. See if you can get this person to pick up the truck for you. And if you are real lucky see if you can get him to prep the truck for your drive home. That way you should have a planned recovery which should go pretty smoothly.

Oh Ya!! Get the manuals, at lest the -10 manual and start reading, If you have not already done so. The comments about tires etc are all correct as most all the above posters have been recovering military tucks for a long time and have been there more than once.

pittdog

Drive it ! cheak all , all the vitals, keep it under or @ 50 mph , ( keep the tant full ! ..... PS ..Bring a blanket . gona get chilly ! .. Out Here!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks