• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how do u start your m1008

Sajer

1. Turn key to on
2. Wait for light to go out
3. Listen for audible "clunk" of relay
4. Say prayer that the starter is still working!
5.Turn key to start engine
6. Idle up for a bit and then drive

ralbelt

Lindy it appears that there is more to this post than the title states. Apparently your truck is not starting and you need some questions answered. Why don't you tell us what is going on with it and what you have done.I am by no means an expert on the 6.2 but there are several on here that are and may be able to lend assistance if you can be a little more expelicit.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if the wait light does not light up (and it's not due a bad bulb/ bulb wiring) then can the culprit be assumed to be the controller card? Or could there be other causes. The GP relay does click when the key is turned...

Have you checked the connections at the relay? Does your WIF light come on? Any other dash lights not light up? Checked your fuses and connections?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WIF light comes on. All dash lights work as they should. Fuses and connections are good. relay clicks. Glow plugs were just replaced with new ones. Truck is VERy hard to start in the cold. Once wam, it fires right up.

Im thinking the Controller Card is bad, just trying to get a second opinion....

Is your voltmeter dipping on start up and returning to green? Also, have you tried to bypass the controller and manually fire the plugs?

One last thing, where are you located? I was born and raised in that region.

Look at pg. 161 of the 31P (fig. 67).

Also it seems to be the dark blue wire in the glow plug harness. See this thread and make sure you post an update:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/49081-m1008-glow-plug-wiring-diagram.html

This will help too:

http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=9930

And finally, this:

http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=31

Last edited:

ralbelt

I recently installed new glow plugs Ac 60G's and switched the GP relay from 24V to 12V, she was still hard to start. Tonight I replaced the GP relay with a ST85 relay and she never started so fast when dead cold.

I suspected the relay because I attached a wire to the small blue wire terminal on the GP relay and to ground and could not hear or feel the relay click.

bigburb11

I don't know where you can get a card... but a toggle or momentary switch hooked up to the GPR signal wire will work in a pinch.

I use a switch instead of the card and hooked up the wait light so it shines when the GPR is engaged.

Zero_cool

I noticed that most of the people here said to wait till the high idel shuts off before driving.
How come? what would happen if you just started it and drove away with it still at high idel?

ralbelt

where did you get the card, that is on my spare part list. I would double check the alts and be sure they are still isolated ground before reinstalling them. I have read some posts on here wher the were sent out and came back case grounded.

Disciple

1) Climb in
2) Pray
3) Insert key, turn to Run
4) Wait for "Wait" light to Extinguish
5) Pray some more
6) Depress Skinny pedal half-way
7) Turn key to "Start"
8) Swear
9) Pray again and ask to be forgiven for swearing
10) Repeat steps 1-9 until batteries are dead
11) Hike up very steep driveway, retrieve battery charger
12) Hike back up said driveway to retrieve extension cord
13) Hike up driveway again to retrieve a cord that will actually REACH!!!aua
14) Disconnect batteries, charge each for 15 minutes
15) Call boss and explain why I'm late... Again!
16) Reconnect batteries
17) Repeat steps 1-9
18) Give up, jump in super-reliable imported sedan, speed all the way to work, swearing some more.
19) Make mental note to post "FREE CUCV" on Craigslist as soon as I get home!

Enjoy your new MV!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks