• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you justify a Deuce to a wife/gf?

GoldComet6

It's YOUR money right? So, why ask for her permission????

Buy it and enjoy it with or without her. Shouldn't she love you, for being you and try to understand your hobbies?

JC Clark

I am sure that your girlfriend has a hobby, next time she says that she is getting something for her hobby tell her she's crazy and that you will not have anything to do with it, see how she feels. haha. No seriously, just tell her that the M35A3 is going to be your hobby to own one and she needs to respect that.

Blood_of_Tyrants

****, it's still YOUR money, isn't it? I'm with the rest. This is a test of how much control she will have on you if you marry her. If you cave to her now, you will be a henpecked, *ussy whipped punk the rest of your natural life.

Caveat. If this is a gf with whom you share a child, and you love that child, be very careful and make sure all other necessities and a few goodies are taken care of for THEM, first. Then submit your argument and buy the truck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife and I have an agreement. I don't complain when I walk in the house and see new livingroom furniture and she don't complain when I drag in another piece of OD. I do try and support my hobby by buying and selling some stuff so I'm not buying MVs with the household funds.

She does complain a little sometimes when the "junk" pile gets a little too big but I've got 45ac so I just move it out of sight of the house. I've been buying, selling, and collecting old vehicles and tractors long before she ever came along so she knew what she was getting into when we met.

As the old saying goes, I woman marries a man thinking he'll change and man marries a woman hoping she won't change. In the real world neither happens.

buddy_holly

I guess I was lucky, I bought my zombie rig after the divorce so I had no problem getting it home. Started seeing this new girl a few weeks ago, asked her if I could pick her up for a date in it. She was thrilled. She couldnt get over how much attention it gets. She wants to ride in it all the time now and go camping with it. Finding an M35A2 that doesnt leak is impossible, finding a good woman even harder. The way I see it, the rig wont ever fool around on me during a deployment or care what I spend money on. (Its usually her anyway!)

maynard83

In case no one has already said this, there is an old saying: "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission" But because in this case since you are not married, it does not apply. She really has zero say in the matter.

I have the same problem as a lot of you and living in So Cal doesn't help since it brings an additional set of problems which the wife is too happy to point out. So to justify my purchase of a Bobbed Deuce I have justified it like this:

- Its not really a MV but a huge 4X4
- I want to take our boys camping in the desert (which she wants them to do because she wants all 3 of us out of the house on some weekends)
- I'm only buying it to sell it later and make a huge profit (yes, a stretch) It is a great investment and can bring us a better return than our current investments in a much shorter time. (Be careful as she is already asking how much it is going to bring in and when)
- We live in a beach city on the Pacific Coast, so if we get hit by a big Tsunami or an earthquake or something, we will be the only ones able to head east over rough terrain circumventing all the congested freeways. We can also sleep in it and survive without worries ( along with our firearms of course)
- It will be great to have if the terrorists or other foreigners invade our shores. See above, in addition I am teaching my youngest the art of accurate long distance shooting so I can drive and he can "Ride Shotgun"
- Wont have to worry about it getting scratched or dinged because of inconsiderate Caleeefohneeah drivers.
- In the never ending attempt to out do everyone out here with the latest greatest......well you get the picure
- I will be the coolest Dad around when I drop my kid off at school or when we go to baseball practice. My wife is a teacher so to her his self-esteem is very important.
- Will be able to help out our church more.
- Ooh and my personal favorite, it will really piss off all the Prius drivers around here.

I think that covers a lot of it. I hope it helps!

Last edited:

nhdiesel

Before i bought mine, my wife said I was crazy (and a few other things I can't repeat here). Once I got it home and she checked it out, she came for a ride with me. Half way through the ride I got her to drive it. Now she likes it.

If I can find work soon, I'll be able to keep the Deuce, and she is good with that now.

Buy the truck, take her for a ride, and see her reaction. Take it to the mall and see how many thumbs-up you get.

On the 4th of July we took mine for a ride. We got several salutes, many thumbs-up, and other positive reactions. My wife admitted it was pretty touching to see the reaction of elderly gentlemen who snap up into a salute to a couple near middle-aged people riding around in a 49 year old truck.

Jim

rlwm211

the answer is sublime not obvious

You want a deuce, get one. That is easy and the obvious answer and you do not need to sell anyone else on the idea. Here is where the less obvious solutions arise.

Women, in general, love attention. Face it, they just do love to be paid attention to. That is a foregone conclusion and will never change no matter how hard you try, or even they try to change it.

Put your wife/G/F in the deuce, ride around town and let her see the waves, smiles and positive remarks, and all of the sudden, they will think its great and tell everyone it was THEIR IDEA to get one.

If your G/F wife decides to never ride in it, let time pass and one of two things will happen:

1) They will hear all the neighbors and your friends raving about the truck and how cool it is, or how PATRIOTIC you are, and voila' they will see the light or.....

2) Even after hearing all of this positive and wonderful stuff they will sit there like a bump on a log and still say no, and eventually realize that they do not control you, and they want to, and they will leave.

Either way, you win.

You cannot change the basic laws of physics when it comes to men and women.

This is just one of those inevitable situations you will find yourself in in life.

Your best adise is to do what seems right, and let the chips fall where they may. Besides, its like evolution....you cannot cheat mother nature.....

RL

jsriolo

I told my girlfriend that I wanted one and she had this reaction:

She said I will look crazy and that she will never ride in it.
Of course I was not asking permission and mine didn't say I wasn't allowed or anything like that. I am not suggesting your girlfriend did, but that is what a lot of people seem to be assuming.

Anyways, she thought I was crazy before and I told her it was fine if she didn't want to ride. More room for other women and all that...

rwbrown72

Reach down and grab a pair! You still got'em hanging right? Life is too short for something so affordable and fun to slip by! Costs less than a bass boat trailer....not to mention the boat! Lots of fun, dude! Seriously, life is too short! If you knew you had only 12 months to live???????

otisroy

If your'e that set on getting the green iron and she's not, you're not gonna be happy. Same goes for motorcycles, boats, campers, etc. as long as you're fiscally responsible. Been there, done that. As the saying goes, "if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".

I got lucky, my wife snowboards, wakeboards, loves to camp, loves motorcycles, and has her own green iron. She said a couple months ago that we need a five-ton :-D

Jeepn_girl

Ok this is my take....
This past 4th or July, I was driving my husband's 5-ton. We turned a corner and some girls where waiting to watch the fire works across the street, they saw the truck and (I kid you not - ask Hammer yourself!) flashed me full out! LOL
If a girl will flash another girl who is driving something dressed in O.D. then I am pretty sure you'll be able to find another chick who will love both you and your crazy big truck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Ed won our 1st three deuces, I walked in the door and he said, "I have good news and bad. What do you want first?"
I said, "Good first then bad I guess..."
"Ok, well... I won our 1st Deuce and a half! But, I ended up winning 3!!"

I said, "Sweet! Umm what's the bad bit???"

rwbrown72

Ok this is my take....
This past 4th or July, I was driving my husband's 5-ton. We turned a corner and some girls where waiting to watch the fire works across the street, they saw the truck and (I kid you not - ask Hammer yourself!) flashed me full out! LOL
If a girl will flash another girl who is driving something dressed in O.D. then I am pretty sure you'll be able to find another chick who will love both you and your crazy big truck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Ed won our 1st three deuces, I walked in the door and he said, "I have good news and bad. What do you want first?"

This does not happen to me enough!aua

Hammer

Ok this is my take....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh yeah, and not a wimpy little flash either. It was a lift the shirt and let you stair for a little bit! I was pretty shocked as I was NOT expecting that kind of response with my wife driving!

Oh, she isn't telling you the entire story on those 3 deuces. When we went to pick them all up, she had already laid claim to one of them before I had even inspected them all!
Funny how that is probably the BEST truck of the three. Seems she has a good eye for good OD!

Hammer

Oh, and about the only thing she has come close to balking at me getting is a M920....
She didn't say NO though! Just wondered what I could actually use it for.

Bighurt

Ok this is my take....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm making the duece my new daily driver....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks