• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How fast does a M1008 go?

idM1028

Mmm. . . might just be the speedo. I'd double check your speed with a GPS if you have one. My speedo usually reads about 3-5mph over the actual speed. Has it been regeared or had bigger tires put on? I still drive mine around at about 55-60. It would appear I'm already leaking oil from a rear main going out. Don't want to make it worse.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming your CUCV is stock, at 55 you would see 2806 RPM. At 65 you would see 3316 RPM and at 85 it would be a whopping 4337 RPM. I've never seen one goverend that high. I would venture to say that someone slipped an OD tranny or regeared the axle(s).

M1008driver

I was thinking about the tranny too. When I had its serviced the guy said it was the TH400. I am puzzled by going so fast and need to look into it further. The last gear shift I noticed is at 33 mph. The axle should be stock too. Hmmm?

The truck came from the Utah National Guard and was in great condition. I bought it from a Montana truck stop that had one for sale on Craigslist.

Sure wish I had a tach installed.

EDIT- On a other subject, I am bidding on another m101 trailer at the base near me. It would be nice to have two of them.

EDIT- The truck does not get any louder above 55mph or sounds like it is wound up too much. I doubt they changed the 4.56, but could have. They are a diesel shop. I did ask and they said no mods were done.

Last edited:

idM1028

Sounds like it should still have the stock TH400. Mine shifts at about the same speed. Oh, by the way, did you buy the truck from a place called Yellowstone Truck Stop? Sounds like you may have bought one I was looking at for a bit 8)

yukondriver

Hello,
if i remember right, my M1008 runs 100 mph whitout problems, but whit 36" Tires from Humvee. (i live in Germany)
But i have not do it every day ;-)
Whit the original tires it runs 85 whitout Problems.
I still remember that the noise would be quit at higher speed.

1958 M274

Assuming your CUCV is stock, at 55 you would see 2806 RPM. At 65 you would see 3316 RPM and at 85 it would be a whopping 4337 RPM. I've never seen one goverend that high. I would venture to say that someone slipped an OD tranny or regeared the axle(s).
Out of curiosity, what RPM should the 6.2 engine in a CUCV be governed to?

YTS Deuce

Sounds like it should still have the stock TH400. Mine shifts at about the same speed. Oh, by the way, did you buy the truck from a place called Yellowstone Truck Stop? Sounds like you may have bought one I was looking at for a bit 8)
Yup, he bought that truck from me, it is the one you were looking at. It does have a TH400, we did not change any gearing. To the best of my knowledge it still has the original 4.56 gears in it, just based on the mph it shifts at compared to other 1008's.

There's no doubt it is one of the best running 1008's I've seen, I personally pushed it to 68mph (wasn't intending that high) checking for vibrations, etc. I figured at that time that somebody must have changed the governor.

It shocks the heck out of me that you had it running 85mph! I certainly wouldn't do it everyday. There's no doubt that some motors will spin faster than others, better balanced, etc. But you are far above what it was designed for.

Glad you're enjoying the truck!

91W350

They were designed to run around 1800 to 2200, beyond that and they are past peak. They will spin up and hard though, it is like Russian Roulette though, one of these days you will pay the price for playing the game. If you want to keep your 6.2, I would recommend getting used to 48 to 50 mph cruising speeds. If you are like some and consider the 6.2 engine junk to get you by until you can afford a big block, or dime a dozen, by all means, run 85 everyday. Glen

M1008driver

I think I found the answer. I had to work overtime today and looked under the vehicle before I went to work. Is this what I think it is? I admit I don't know much. Advice needed...

EDIT- Thanks Jerry. I hope I can buy from you again some day. As for the 6.2 being junk, I do not think so. I am looking for improvements, but it is not junk.

Attachments

Last edited:

idM1028

:ditto:

There were a couple of OD units that were/are made. One is no longer in productinon and I can't remember the name to save my life, but it attached around the rear axle. A gear vendors OD would attach to the rear of the T-case w,hereas you still have the original slip yoke. There would also be additional wiring to the unit and there would be a controller for it. Just FYI that crazy aluminum thing is your transfer case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks