• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How good is a deuce really in the mud?

jrobinson5093

I visit a local mud racing track. TThey have some mod bogging also. I always get people asking me why dont I try and run my deuce through the mud. Now I habe done a little off roading with it but not much mud. I would take it in the mud some times but I just dont wanna get stuff and they cant pull me out. Or not making it more than a few feet and then every one asking me what happined.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stone cold facts are this, 3 open differentials, 13,500# of which 7000# rest on 2 skinny tires in the front. Not good in the mud but there are ways to cheat. Chains can help in the mud but folks are going to point and laugh. If you must try this the best way is to get some of that weight off the skinny front tires. Add about 3000# at the very back of the bed and the fronts won't dig in nearly as bad. If I hang a 3000# mutifuel engine in a can far enough behind my deuce crane, it feels like it has power steering.

jrobinson5093

I just never figured that the truck would be good in mud, because of the weight on the front. People just hear 6 wheel drive and they think it cant be stopped. I dont see how theses truck got that rep because it is very easy to reach a deuce's limits.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
True.... but Deuces aren't really "limited", or good or bad in mud.... drivers are!:)

And if we were talking about deep mud it depends mainly on type and size of tires; if you had chains; any lockers or not; what engine; of course, weight distribution - as Kenny said; and, and.... HOW far (and deep) you will actually go before.... getting stuck!:p

Typical for a stock Deuce... driver: this video.

G.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
People just hear 6 wheel drive and they think it cant be stopped.
It just allows you to get further out in the chit before you really get stuck.

In the military these beast travel in herds.....if one gets stuck another one can pull it out.

Another tall tale about military vehicles is how great they are on snow and ice......a good driver can do OK unless conditions get real bad (on sheet ice they are as useless as a Prius).

They can get high centered in snow just like they do in mud.

I think too much of my green iron than to abuse it.

Last edited:

jrobinson5093

I dont like having to clean every thing after playing in the mud. but mine is working on being a tractor so weight distribution does not happen. Another thing I have noticed is a lot of people who tell me they use to drive them know nothing about it. They almost never get the engine right, and I always hear how theu would pull any thing. I tell them its a multi fuel and most never had heard that before.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
They work as good as the search function does on this site.

Very well, granted it's used properly.:whistle:

Ridgerunner

You will not impress anyone at a mud bogg event with a stock Deuce. It would turn out quite embarrassing for you. In everyone's mind, military trucks are unstopable and capable of anything, and the people there will expect just that, and a Deuce will fall far short of that expectation.

hdmax

Better than a bicycle, not as good as a super swamper buggy.
Check out some of the rally videos on youtube. (There are hundreds of them.)

I visit a local mud racing track. TThey have some mod bogging also. I always get people asking me why dont I try and run my deuce through the mud. Now I habe done a little off roading with it but not much mud. I would take it in the mud some times but I just dont wanna get stuff and they cant pull me out. Or not making it more than a few feet and then every one asking me what happined.

jrobinson5093

I have watched most of them but I would like to see a smaller truck and a deuce in the same area to get a better idea how the big truck will do in the same stuff as a smaller. If I do take it through some mud I will get some video.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Come to the Georgia Rally, we run from Jeeps, to CUCV, to M37's, Goats, 2-1/2's, and 5 tons, bobbers and modifieds. They all run together, you can see all the differences you want and more.
They do hills, twists, muds, and some even dare the technical ant inch at a time routes.
The trail masters can direct or take you to whatever you want. We recommend traveling in a herd as Wrecker suggested, or at least a pair so that the recovery team can be more easily notified.

rickf

i would not take any of my trucks threw the mud it would take hours to clean them up get a swamp buggy
Am I the only person that has trouble reading that? Smart phones are not real smart if you cannot punctuate with them.

Those videos tell me that the person driving does not care about the truck. Would have been real interesting if he had snagged that loose winch chain on the front wheel.

Rick

Csm Davis

Hey Rick, don't blame the smart phone, blame the not so smart operator. That's like blaming the gun for killing someone.
This and most of my post are done from my smart phone.

rickf

I don't have a smart phone but usually the person that posts like that will say it is because it is too hard to punctuate on a smart phone. I do not text for that very reason, it is a PIA to punctuate so I do not text. Period. I am glad you pointed out that it is not the phone but the operator.

Rick

jdknech

I just put my stock deuce in the local mud bogg they hold at the fairgrounds... it did exatly what i expected, it went 3/4 of the way through and stopped.. last year I did it in my old Deuce and it was the only truck to make it through. the only differance between the two was tires, my old deuce had 395 XML's on it, new one has stock NDT's.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just put my stock deuce in the local mud bogg they hold at the fairgrounds... it did exatly what i expected, it went 3/4 of the way through and stopped.. last year I did it in my old Deuce and it was the only truck to make it through. the only differance between the two was tires, my old deuce had 395 XML's on it, new one has stock NDT's.
Ok, serious advice,

My deuce on 395 XML's has zero problems navigating anywhere at the local mud park. Just a pain to wrestle with the steering. It plows through the mud since the chunks are so low to the ground. NDT's wouldn't go nearly as far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks