• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How noisy is your 6.2 lit. M1009

cucv1833

Hey cucv 1833 i always wanted to put a 6.5 turbo on a 6.2 how's it working for you ??? Dave

Its working good. my buddy sold me the truck with it already on. then he let me drive his M1009 without a turbo just to show me the differnce. i like it i get 4psi of boost. i dont know alot about it but theres alot of good threads on this. good luck

grayw0lf

With my old IP, it my M1009 was quiet. It didn't sound like a diesel except near idle. It sounded more like a humming vacuum cleaner motor (nope, no vacuum leaks).

The new IP sounds like a proper diesel!

taildragger03

The timing and tolerances have a lot to do with the added noise when compared to the new(er) diesels. They also don't have pilot injection, which is basically pre-injection prior to the main pulse of fuel into the cylinder. My 1028 literally drowns out my Duramax along with everything else in the neighborhood. :roll:

mf5129

.the more timing is advanced the louder they become. they also tend to be louder when cold. after they warmup they quiet down.they are louder because of timing and no insulation.my 6bt cummins is louder than all my 6.2s.

2deuce

Somebody put a stereo in my m1009 and probably couldn't hear it. They had sound deadening material under the hood, fiberglass stuffed in the fenders, rubber glued to the roof of the cab, extra floor mats an the IP retarded so much, it didn't clack even when cold. It was super quiet once I got it running again. There wasn't a huge power loss with the timing retarded, but MPG was down significantly. I have been been looking for more MPG and after readjusting the timing I thought drilling holes in the air cleaner as some have done to get more air in at freeway speeds would help. Drilling those holes might have helped a little at higher elevations and higher revs but the noise level has gone way up. I bought a bad civvy 6.2 for the turbo I want to install someday and it has some kind of silencer in the manifold. I wonder if it works at silencing but also robs power and MPG?

67_C-30

.the more timing is advanced the louder they become. they also tend to be louder when cold. after they warmup they quiet down.they are louder because of timing and no insulation.my 6bt cummins is louder than all my 6.2s.

Agreed. The 5.9 6BT Cummins and 7.3 and most 6.0 Powerstrokes are louder engines than the 6.2's are. The problem with these trucks is lack of insulation and lack of an overdrive transmission. A turbo does quiet them down considerably because it eliminates the rushing sound of the air entering the honkin' hole in the intake, and that's part of why all the newer ones are quieter. As others have said, the newer direct injection diesels are quieter by design. I had 6.2 in a civilian K5 with a 700R4 and the special firewall insulation, hood insulation and carpet and it hardly audible in the truck. My M1009 was MUCH louder than it was.

AlexFolino

My 6.2 with 3.5" true dual exhaust with no mufflers exiting before the rear tires is defning loud... Really pisses off neighbors and basically anybody near it.. I love it but it can be a pain in the ass.

Capt.Marion

If you want to quiet down your 1009, start driving your stock deuce on the highway without ear protection. It'll quiet everything down!

jimmy-90

I put a 6.5L air cleaner assembly with a resonator on mine and that made a noticable difference in the noise that comes out of the top of the motor. Now I can hear my loud pipes alot better lol. When I had the SECM body on it the motor made every loose part on that thing vibrate in sympathy with it. When im at a stop light things under the dash around the ash tray still vibrate really bad though. At one point i had thought about putting the sterio out of my other truck in it but I don't think I would be able to hear it good enough over top of the motor.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
sound

When you are talking about sound, are you all referring to the knocking or just the loud engine? My M1008 sounds like a kindergarten percussion section, its ridiculous. Would rebuilding my pump help and how much would that run?

ssdvc

Does anyone know if you can still buy that sound deadener piece for the civi diesel Blazer? I am sure the hood insulation is available somewhere.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Sound Deadner

I used dynomat on the underside of my hood and it makes a huge difference. Its a bit pricey but really easy to work with and you can buy it almost anywhere.

jimmy-90

Does anyone know if you can still buy that sound deadener piece for the civi diesel Blazer? I am sure the hood insulation is available somewhere.
The sound deadener piece that is on the civi 6.2/6.5L trucks is called a resonator. I got mine along with the rest of the air intake system off of another truck at a junk yard. I don't know if there are places where you can order them anymore or not. Back when I was looking for one I did alot of web searches with no luck.

GoldComet6

I thought the noise was part of the appeal....:driver:

Actually it's not that noisy while driving to me.

Driving - the junk in the back is making a lot of noise:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaRnK6YaBYg[/media]

At idle:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tiql_tBBXs&feature=related[/media]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks