• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to engage the front axle?

Ryanga9

Ok, I have searched on the site, and can't come up with a solution.

I have a 1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2, and can not figure out how to engage the front axle so that all 10 tires spin.

The best I can tell, their are two forms, air engaged (engages automatically when the back tires slip), and some have a switch under the dash.

Mine does not have a switch, and does not auto engage. It also does not appear to have locking hubs.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

If you have any diagnostic questions, let me know, and I'll do my best to answer

Last edited by a moderator:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the -10 say? FYI,The air engaged ones have the switch under the middle of the dash. If it isn't air shift is the sprag adjusted correctly?

Ryanga9

Hndrson,

That makes sense. I know I am going to sound stupid, but what is the -10, and how do I adjust the sprag?

If it is a long explanation, hopefully you can atleast point me in a direction where I can read up on each.

Ryanga9

Haha. Hey, everyone has to start somewhere. I can be the site idiot today so that everyone else will feel comfortable asking their 'less dumb' questions.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The -10 is one of the TMs the military put out. They will have everything you need to know about tearing apart, or adjusting things on your truck.
and then there is the -p.

Ryanga9

Got ya. Ok, Yes - I have downloaded the -10, just threw me off looking at the last two digits. Now that I know I have a sprag, I'll look into that.

Thanks for the help

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryan
Man you dodged that one. Seriously, congrats on your "new" old truck. Find all the tech manuals applicable to your truck.
Download or hard copy, they will be invaluable when questions or repairs arise. These vehicles were designed to be maintained in the field by individuals with basic mechanical knowledge. The manual system designed by the military is very easy to navigate. I'm old school so I need actual hard copy manuals and my tech library is vast. The -10 operators manual should be kept in the vehicle. the maintenance manuals are a good read to understand system discription and operation. Next find the correct tools and equipment to support maintenance operations. It's all part of the hobby. Use the correct parts and don't cut corners. These vehicles are very unforgiving and can cause a lot of damage, and as always; show us pictures
JC

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Now that you have the answer I will let you know something else. On this site when it comes to thread titles PLEASE do not use the word HELP!! unless you are in a life or death situation, broke down on the side of the road or another simular situation.

Everyone with a problem needs help. No need to add it to the title.

Last edited:

Dhallftworth

My 67 has a floor shift that engages the front axle. It's located back and to the right of the shifter for the trans. If I wasn't 5 hours from my deuce, I would take a picture for you.

phil2968

My 67 has a floor shift that engages the front axle. It's located back and to the right of the shifter for the trans. If I wasn't 5 hours from my deuce, I would take a picture for you.
That is the hi/low lever for your transfer case. The front axle is engaged with a sprag clutch if it is not air operated. The air operated will have a small lever with a indicator light under the edge of the dash. The sprag only engages the front axle when the rear drive shaft turns faster than the front, meaning the rear tires would be spinning, then it would engage the front axle if it is working properly.

tsstout

I recommend you identify the transfer case.. Mine came without the in cab air engagement switch, but was obviously converted to the the air shift transfer case.. They did not take the time to run the air line or install the in cab switch... I thought mine was a non working sprag until further investigation... Once I spotted the switch on the case I ran an air line to it and walla... front axle engaged... My comment is just to spare you the leg work on the sprag adjustment... been there...

steelandcanvas

I recommend you identify the transfer case.. Mine came without the in cab air engagement switch, but was obviously converted to the the air shift transfer case.. They did not take the time to run the air line or install the in cab switch... I thought mine was a non working sprag until further investigation... Once I spotted the switch on the case I ran an air line to it and walla... front axle engaged... My comment is just to spare you the leg work on the sprag adjustment... been there...
Excellent advice!

Another Ahab

Haha. Hey, everyone has to start somewhere. I can be the site idiot today so that everyone else will feel comfortable asking their 'less dumb' questions.
Hey Hot-Lanta, you're a good sport; and a cordial Welcome to you from here in the grand Old Commonwealth of Virginia.

There is great appreciation here for searching the threads and also doing the homework in the Technical Manuals (TM'S) before posting any questions. You took it on the chin for not "opening the book", but you'll catch on. Glad you're on board.

Last edited:

emr

Good response from the answers Ryanga9 :) Its more fun when asking a nube question when the guy has some balls to handle some fun from those who have been doing it for awhile, we all got it, and we all as humans like to share that ribbing when the time comes to someone else , :) I always say if you cant take some joking one should not be playing with BIG boy toys :) Welcome and enjoy that truck she is awesome :) I did not read all the answrers, But the sprag needs the rear wheels to slip before they engage, also after they do you will need to back up 20 ft and forward again 20ft to disengage, if the steering wheel still pulls like its still locked in repeat until done, must do the same speed forward and revers to disengage. I had a sprag for years and it worked flawlessly, but these trucks are getting, are old. and allot have been abused by drivers who just don't know how to drive em. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks