• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to top off brake fluid

broadsword71

These TM's are insane to look through! I'm trying to top off my brake fluid (dot 5) before my road trip. I have a slight leak in one wheel cylinder and no it's a bit low. How exactly do I perform this. I know it's the floor hatch at my feet, but there is no visible way I can see to do it.
Thanks in advance!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Funnel.

F18hornetM

I'd really hate to drive it on a road trip with a wheel cylinder leaking. But if you must drive it, take some with you. Could get worse anytime.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long is this road trip ? It may be worth delaying a few hours to fix the leak . Remember if the leak get worst you will have NO BRAKES .

197thhhc

Hopefully you are just going around the block. The deuces have a single circuit brake system. When that leaky wheel cylinder goes out, the 13,000 pound truck you are driving will have no brakes. You should fix it first. For your safety and even more for the safety of those around you.:shock:

Westech

CPL
WOW! You know any brake fluid leak of any kind is a 100% dead line no O X or memo on that truck as the Military goes? #1... you have no idea how to even check it.... #2 a part has FAILED #3 single chamber master cylinder.... IE if one thing fails it all fails. Come on dude!!

rlwm211

The vent line takes a 3/8 wrench. The cap on the master is 3/4. I use a short adjustable wrench to remove the cap as it makes the swing under the floor and makes it easier to do.

As to knowing your truck, there is a PDF GTA-9-1-1851-8 with all the pertinent information about all systems on the truck. This is available here in the deuce TM section and elsewhere.

As other's have mentioned the deuce is a one circuit brake system and

Any leak is a red flag on the truck's use.

Know this:

The resevoir will only have two, maybe three full pedal cycles before it is empty!!!!

If you are losing brakes you will likely not know until you have already done this!!!!

It will be the pump of the pedal after you have run out when you find you have no brakes!!!!

Consider this carefully before you put your life and others on the line.

goatijoe

The vent line takes a 3/8 wrench. The cap on the master is 3/4. I use a short adjustable wrench to remove the cap as it makes the swing under the floor and makes it easier to do.

As to knowing your truck, there is a PDF GTA-9-1-1851-8 with all the pertinent information about all systems on the truck. This is available here in the deuce TM section and elsewhere.

As other's have mentioned the deuce is a one circuit brake system and

Any leak is a red flag on the truck's use.

Know this:

The resevoir will only have two, maybe three full pedal cycles before it is empty!!!!

If you are losing brakes you will likely not know until you have already done this!!!!

It will be the pump of the pedal after you have run out when you find you have no brakes!!!!

Consider this carefully before you put your life and others on the line.

Yea what he said. Don't give us a bad rap of our hobby. 13000lbs + truck will do a bunch of damage and will be one heck of a fine and may even put you in jail over it if you kill someone. BRAKES are not one thing to play around with you have them or you don't. :not worthy:

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Know this:

Wise words!

As with my own experience, I was on a "short" 150 mile trip in my deuce with a full reservoir and NO leaks when a brake-line fitting (flare) split! The first "pedal to the floor" was... :-?

The second time was... :confused:

There was a large truck stop (dirt) parking lot just past the intersection and I pulled in. Pump #3 was... :shock: and that was it.

I rolled around in the dirt, was covered in fluid and eventually called a local NAPA that brought me out a line that I barely worked into place. I filled the system and called :gimp: who brought his brake bleeder all the way up there in record time.

Even when there isn't an obvious leak, brake systems are life essential.

Fix the problem before you take to the road. The trip will be much more enjoyable that way! :driver:

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are getting ready to take your truck the 600 miles from Florida to Tenn,

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fix the leaking wheel cylinder before you leave.

It is not worth killing yourself or someone else if that cylinder should fail.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought they had air brakes.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are getting ready to take your truck the 600 miles from Florida to Tenn,

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fix the leaking wheel cylinder before you leave.

It is not worth killing yourself or someone else if that cylinder should fail.
It sure dosen't seem worth the risk for a $30 wheel cylinder or a $10 rebuild kit and a hours time.
Edit ; Since you posted i your other thread you don't know where to get parts this will help you Deuce Parts Quick Reference Spreadsheet

Last edited: