• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to top off brake fluid

zout

Broadsword - Do you understand the brake system the folks above are describing ? Single brake fluid system ?

I am only asking as you were looking for assistance in accessing the master cylinder to being with & filling.

All the advise above to fix this brake system before you roll out onto the road is the best advice you could listen to - keeping it filled it not the answer with the wheel cylinder knowingly leaking - all the posted information from you will be used greatly by an attorney if something happens on the trip in terms of an accident.

broadsword71

Ive been an ase master truck tech for 14 years. Just wants to know where how this particular vehicle was filled. I wasn't going across the country anyway just across town! I just bought the deuce and am learning it's nomencla. Besides after close inspection turns out it was an outer axle seal leaking

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a mechanic, you must be aware of the value of a good manual. The military trucks have some of the best technical manuals. Do you know about them?

Do you have much experience wrenching on pre 70's vehicle?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive been an ase master truck tech for 14 years. Just wants to know where how this particular vehicle was filled. I wasn't going across the country anyway just across town! I just bought the deuce and am learning it's nomencla. Besides after close inspection turns out it was an outer axle seal leaking
You should be well aquainted with using manuals then . The TM's are searchable , but you may want to start with this ; GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf
and this ; TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf

TM9-2320-361-20.pdf

nk14zp

These TM's are insane to look through! I'm trying to top off my brake fluid (dot 5) before my road trip. I have a slight leak in one wheel cylinder and no it's a bit low. How exactly do I perform this. I know it's the floor hatch at my feet, but there is no visible way I can see to do it.
Thanks in advance!
To help with the TM's the -10 is operator the -20 and above are progressively higher in repairs the ones ending in p are parts books.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easy guys... We do want to help him, right?

broadsword71

Yes sir Theres over 1200 pages. Again I looked through it for an hour b4 I posted. If I had more time I would have buckled dwn and found it. I'm on a short leash b4 I head out of town. Thanks for your input...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes sir Theres over 1200 pages. Again I looked through it for an hour b4 I posted. If I had more time I would have buckled dwn and found it. I'm on a short leash b4 I head out of town. Thanks for your input...
Use the index in the TM to narrow your search
TM9-2320-361-20
section 8 covers brakes

zout

Yes actually my questions were to help and not insult the member. I also spell ACE - ACE. I have more bag of crap certifications and ones I have forgotten I have.

After wrenching for over 47 yrs I asked these questions. BUT - after all this time I learn something new every day plus get dumber as the time pass's it seems. If I knew the brake system I would not attempt a move with a wheel cylinder leaking - and now that I have sat in front of a jury on vehicular cases - NWH would I think of it.

Back to the thread - all it takes is seconds for a wheel cylinder to emtpy itself and all these folks and myself included are only looking out for your well being and the continuance of our hobby with no negative input.

Truely hope you see our point - but it is your truck and your call - like Indiana Jones once was told by King Arthur - Choose Wisely.

rlwm211

Page 63 of this manual (Service Brakes section)

T M 9 - 2 3 2 0 - 2 0 9 - 2 0 - 3 - 2

will have everything you need to
take it apart, fix it and put it together.

Last edited:

broadsword71

Yes actually my questions were to help and not insult the member. I also spell ACE - ACE. I have more bag of crap certifications and ones I have forgotten I have.

After wrenching for over 47 yrs I asked these questions. BUT - after all this time I learn something new every day plus get dumber as the time pass's it seems. If I knew the brake system I would not attempt a move with a wheel cylinder leaking - and now that I have sat in front of a jury on vehicular cases - NWH would I think of it.

Back to the thread - all it takes is seconds for a wheel cylinder to emtpy itself and all these folks and myself included are only looking out for your well being and the continuance of our hobby with no negative input.

Truely hope you see our point - but it is your truck and your call - like Indiana Jones once was told by King Arthur - Choose Wisely.
I appreciate anyones assistance...I was typing from my phone which often misspells and auto corrects things when I do not want it to. I understand how a wheel cylinder works. I was travelling less than 6 miles to my shop from my house on dirt roads.

broadsword71

I appreciate anyones assistance...One more time I was typing from my phone which often misspells and auto corrects things when I do not want it to. I understand how a wheel cylinder works, Since everyone here seems to have issue with me driving it I was going 6 miles on old backroads where if I even saw a car on any given day it would be unusual. So now that I have had to explain myself like a child to people who are suppose to just answer a simple question next time I will be more direct. I didnt have time to thumb through the the manual, also which I haven't had time to print the over 1200 pages and didnt have a cpu to look through it in spare time. I was operating from my phone while working and just hoping for a quick answer. I just bought the truck last week, brand new to the forum and already starting to think most people on here are retired, almost retired, or bored out of there minds, and just sit around and write insulting comments to people they do not know. I been certified since I was 17 years old, wrenching all my life because I never had any money to have it done for me. I spent 8 years in the military 2000-2008 5 years in the Marines and 3 in the Army Most of which was in combat as a high speed grunt. The only bad name given here is done by insulting me with foolish comments and assumptions and apparently your telepathic skills to read minds. I wasn't driving the **** thing to TN with a bad wheel cylinder, just down an old dirt road in which I am confident in my slow driving and downshifting capabilities. And my "bobbed deuce" only weighs 10,450 at least according to the DOT approved scales, or do you want to question that to? BTW last I checked most civilian vehicles don't have closed systems like Military vehicles. They have inspection covers and most have sight glass to see the fluid level, probably because they don't expect to be submerged in water or see a combat zone! So a simple question of "how is it filled properly" typed from an IPHONE isn't a guage on how good my mechanical skills are. It may be an easy answer from some pouge motor T guy who spent his entire military carreer turning wrenches or someone who has owned several and apparently was born with knowledge of how an m35 works. I got certified because my dad was and its all i knew at the time. Then I joined the Marines in 2000 and found myself in combat on and off for the next 8 years. So those of you who just wanted to help I thank you very much...those of you who are misreble people who think its funny to insult me and my good name...take a good look at yourself first and ask what have you done lately that makes you so special! keep your childish comments to yourself!

Last edited by a moderator:

rlwm211

Many times when a new member comes into the forum, they have not a clue and want the answers spoon fed to them. They are either lazy, ignorant, stupid, or any combination of these.

I would offer my apology for not offeing the answer immediately.

To be honest, and I know I am speaking for many here, we want this hobby of owning a MV to be safe and that we all do our very best to present a safe and professiional image to the public.

When someone jumps into a 13000# truck who has not spent a minute in their lives operating anything bigger than the family station wagon, it strikes terror into our hearts.

Obviously You are not any of these. I thank you for your service and am grateful you have offered a portion of your life to protect us.

Don't come away from this with anything other than we are concerned that you are safe and that we all remeber safety is and should always be number one.

Sincerely RL

Heavysteven

Here is a video goes over how to check the brake fuild while using a power bleeder.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RazeaTyiIFU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

As far has your run on sentence
I assure the members of this site have a wealth of knowledge and experience when it comes to the M35A2. Your statements meant to insult are way off base. Your rationalization ate going to do you a dam bit of good when the pedal hits the floor.

Good luck