• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to turbo a 6.2 using 6.5 parts

brazengoat06

Just picked up everything I need to turbo my M1010 from a donor 6.5 1995 model for about $220.

Here's what I pulled:
Upper Intake manifold
Lower intake manifold
Turbo
Passenger exhaust manifold
Driver exhaust manifold
Exhaust crossover pipe
Turbo downpipe
Fuel Injectors
Fuel lines
Glow plug connectors (just to have an extra set)
Oil return pipe

If anybody can think of something I'm missing please chime in. The donor truck is still available to me. Thanks

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

Did you grab the oil return block off plate? You'll also need a feed line.

I used my drivers manifold and an aftermarket crossover. I had to cut it and modify it. I think I read that even with the 6.5 drivers manifold you'll have to modify the crossover because of the trans. The stock 6.5 downpipe wont work either.

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

just looked through whole thread, but haven't seen any good pics of how people have been routing the crossover. trying to visualize before cutting my exhaust too much. using a 6.2 drivers manifold, because I have the SM465 with hydraulic clutch(slave cylinder is right where the drivers 6.5 exhaust dumps).

truck is not lifted and probably will never be

so any pics? maybe one from the transfer looking forward and one from front diff? pics don't have to be hi-res and exhaust doesn't need to be pretty; like I said just want some ideas before cutting exhaust too much

Ilikemtb999

just looked through whole thread, but haven't seen any good pics of how people have been routing the crossover. trying to visualize before cutting my exhaust too much. using a 6.2 drivers manifold, because I have the SM465 with hydraulic clutch(slave cylinder is right where the drivers 6.5 exhaust dumps).

truck is not lifted and probably will never be

so any pics? maybe one from the transfer looking forward and one from front diff? pics don't have to be hi-res and exhaust doesn't need to be pretty; like I said just want some ideas before cutting exhaust too much
Do these help? I used an aftermarket crossover from a 6.5. I cut the drivers end off and cut it in the middle. Don't recall how much I cut out but I only made the 2 cuts. It's pretty close to the inspection cover but doesn't touch anything.

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

Do these help? I used an aftermarket crossover from a 6.5. I cut the drivers end off and cut it in the middle. Don't recall how much I cut out but I only made the 2 cuts. It's pretty close to the inspection cover but doesn't touch anything.
Thanks, I was staring at it and I pretty much came up with same idea, my axle is out, but figured it work. I am routing the drivers pretty close to the bellhousing, and I am pretty much mimicking what you did over by the oil filter. Except I am using part of the egr valve(minus valve) and mounting my egt probe there.

As to no crossover, not good for the engine, one side would be working much harder and that imbalance could eventually harm the engine

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do we need cross over ? How does it perform with just the passenger side exhaust hook up?
It'd perform poorly given the sizing of the turbo. Plus the passenger bank would have increased backpressure to it. Although, one could use two smaller turbos and feed each bank to their own turbos if they wanted to forgo the crossover.

Ilikemtb999

Thanks, I was staring at it and I pretty much came up with same idea, my axle is out, but figured it work. I am routing the drivers pretty close to the bellhousing, and I am pretty much mimicking what you did over by the oil filter. Except I am using part of the egr valve(minus valve) and mounting my egt probe there.

As to no crossover, not good for the engine, one side would be working much harder and that imbalance could eventually harm the engine
I put my EGT in the passenger manifold just before the turbo (there's a square cast in to it).

As for no crossover, My crossover donut is leaking and has been getting worse on the passenger side and the worse its gotten, the slower my truck builds boost. I need to get a new gasket (or get a v band clamp flange welded on)

Kaiser67M715

Does anybody have any suggestions for the pyrometers and boost gauge setups for this install?
talking gauge locations in dash? gauge brands? or gauge sensor placement?

I'll try to cover all three.

I am using a VDO boost 0-15 PSI, I like the look of the stock gauges, VDO and AutoMeter are good brands, but I like VDO a bit more, and it is slightly cheaper
For EGT I got an Auber EGT gauge, digital, but small, like 1 x 2 inch big, kinda strayed from the whole stock look, but it was cheap, and I know several people who have used it with good success. Otherwise the VDO would have worked

for mounting, Boost can go anywhere after turbo in the intake-if you use the 6.5 intake, you can use the IAT sensor port and an adapter

EGT, I put in drivers side, EGR valve, course CUCV's didn't have these, so alot drill the square boss under turbo in passanger exhaust manifold

and finally dash gauge location

here is my boost, undecided on EGT yet, got a tach on the way as well....so decisions there...Also this was originally a Gas cluster, I'm not sure how the CUCV actually looks
IMG_0110.jpg

My EGT probe location, hard to see, but is right at the manifold exit, right above crossover, next to oil filter. I won't show boost sense tap, as that should be pretty self explanatory.

IMG_0143.jpg

Ilikemtb999

I made a cover that holds 3 gauges where the dash mount was. I also put my boost gauge on a pod on the steering column.

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

Normally black smoke and high EGTs when turned too far, otherwise no clear indication unless you put the pump on a machine and test the outputs

This is of course assuming the rest of the engine is in ok shape

llong66

Anyone want to chime in about head gasket failure after recently installing a turbo? I hear 10lbs of boost is safe. Also, apparently there are thicker-than-stock head gaskets available to lower the compression after you've blown the originals.
I don't have the part number here but Felpro makes a 0.01' thicker head gasket

Cucvnut

Well, I got a 97 6.5 setup, I noticed the blow off valve is pointed down, unlike some of the other pictures on here I see them pointing towards the side wall. I got the complete motor. and exhaust. the 6.5 is dead so im swapping on to my 6.2. besides the thicker exhaust gaskets what else do I need to change because I have everything. I have the stock cross over pipe, Im so mad i sold my welder because i had not used it in years. now I need to weld exhaust.. Can anyone tell me what the thing is under the alt?

6.5#1.jpg6.5#2.jpg

True Knight

Well, I got a 97 6.5 setup, I noticed the blow off valve is pointed down, unlike some of the other pictures on here I see them pointing towards the side wall. I got the complete motor. and exhaust. the 6.5 is dead so im swapping on to my 6.2. besides the thicker exhaust gaskets what else do I need to change because I have everything. I have the stock cross over pipe, Im so mad i sold my welder because i had not used it in years. now I need to weld exhaust.. Can anyone tell me what the thing is under the alt?
You'll need a oil supply, the one from the 6.5 won't work on the 6.2. I ran from a plugged port on the block above the oil filter.

I was going to try to keep the mechanical fuel pump and run the turbo oil drain some other way, but it looked like the only way would be to pull the oil pan and weld on a pipe. So I put on an electric fuel pump.

You'll need to figure out an air filter and intake system. I haven't got that far yet. I'll run a filter straight off the front of the turbo temporarily until I build a snorkel.

No idea about the thing under the exhaust.

Oh and I would use that heat shield between the manifold on the 6.2 if you can.

Last edited:

Cucvnut

You'll need a oil supply, the one from the 6.5 won't work on the 6.2. I ran from a plugged port on the block above the oil filter Can you get me some pictures of this? why wont it work? how does it feed from the other side? what did you use to run it? low pressure or high pressure line?

I was going to try to keep the mechanical fuel pump and run the turbo oil drain some other way, but it looked like the only way would be to pull the oil pan and weld on a pipe. So I put on an electric fuel pump. Going that route.

You'll need to figure out an air filter and intake system. I haven't got that far yet. I'll run a filter straight off the front of the turbo temporarily until I build a snorkel I have a performance filter setup that came with the motor.

No idea about the thing under the exhaust. Vacuum pump!

Oh and I would use that heat shield between the manifold on the 6.2 if you can. I plan to do that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks