• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydrogen Generator

Westex

Wow. Never meant to start such a ruckus. One of the reasons I posted this is that I live in West Texas where we have TREMENDOUS amounts of sunlight. Low humidity most of the year, etc etc, and I ran into this guy who is actually using solar to create hydrogen gas with solar power being the 'initiator' of the current if you will. I don't know enough about it to have an intelligent argument over it, but he claims he has replaced the jets in his house water heater (they burn green now) and other propane accessories around his ranch, all converted. He did mention the problem was compression storage, but it's working for him so far.

I then went on the internet before posting here, and saw all kinds of "hydrogen generators" which purport to increase mileage, etc. and had my doubts, hence, my initial posting. A lively discussion is always more interesting than the pointing of a finger. The origin post here was just to explore alternative energy sources, which as everyone here knows, is what a Deuce is all about. Burning alternative fuels. And having fun at the same time. I do. Newton,
Tesla, and others would probably approve.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Along with Doghead's post of the link to scams I have another scam, EasyWater.

Same as trying to put a magnet on your fuel line....

bubba_got_you

[FONT=&quot]Ah ha! I never thought of solar power to power it. I know they create gas as I have one and have tested it but as stated the electricity required would defeat the purpose. But if solar power could be used it would work. My hho gen I have only uses 25 amps t create sufficient amounts of gas in seconds to fill up a jug. One thing most forget is that you have to add chemical (baking soda) to accelerate the process.

[/FONT]

Stalwart

Age, I guess you didn't read the part of the pages posted earlier that adding the gas confuses the computer and makes it try for a 20:1 A/F ratio (WAY TOO lean) and gives a false reading on actual fuel consumption reading by said computer.

Using it as a primary fuel obtained from a cheap power source does make sense. Just remember to check fittings and hoses, the H2 molecule is extremely small, much smaller than helium and we all know how fast that leaks out balloons that appear airtight when filled with regular air. The small molecule size is one of the reasons compressed H2 gas isn't ecnomically viable for travel over long distances, pipelines must be made to a much higher standard as well as vessels holding the gas. I won't even get into the storage problems with the cylinders @ 5000+ PSI.

Using it as a fuel source near to where it is produced is one of it's best uses, especially where there is a cheap electrical source available. Unfortunately, much of the H2 gas being used is being produced from natural gas which is kinda dumb, natural gas is already a good and proven fuel for vehicles. NG doesn't require VERY high pressure storage and has a MUCH higher energy density because it can be stored in a liquid state. :driver:

bubba_got_you

Age, I guess you didn't read the part of the pages posted earlier that adding the gas confuses the computer and makes it try for a 20:1 A/F ratio (WAY TOO lean) and gives a false reading on actual fuel consumption reading by said computer.
but the nice thing about the deuce is there is no computer and how it runs is all up to you and your adjustments to the fuel.

namedpipes

I'm curious to know how much energy it *does* take to separate the H2 and the O.

Lets say you have a 109 with some available roof space, put a solar panel on top and let it slowly crack water while parked in the sun.

I would be flabbergasted if it produced anough volume to make a difference while running, but how many people here leave the truck parked for a day or even a week or two between trips? Maybe a few days of "free" (after cost of equipment) cracking equates to a few hours of increased power/efficiency?

I dunno. I'm a byte jockey, not a mechanic or a chemist.

AgeOfDarkness94

I'm curious to know how much energy it *does* take to separate the H2 and the O.

Lets say you have a 109 with some available roof space, put a solar panel on top and let it slowly crack water while parked in the sun.

I would be flabbergasted if it produced anough volume to make a difference while running, but how many people here leave the truck parked for a day or even a week or two between trips? Maybe a few days of "free" (after cost of equipment) cracking equates to a few hours of increased power/efficiency?

I dunno. I'm a byte jockey, not a mechanic or a chemist.

A common misconception is that you need HUGE amounts of HHO to see any appreciable gain. In reality, the HHO takes up only 3-5% volume of your final fuel/air mixture. the power isn't coming from the HHO itself, but rather its acting like a catalyst to burn the fuel more cleanly and efficiently. obviously, the more gas you have, the less fuel is required. the max amount that I tested was 7% total and this quickly burned the gas up.
at these low levels, don't expect miracles, as I said earlier. what this WILL do at lower levels is lower EGT and emissions, THATS IT.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those interested in proving or disproving the efficacy of using H in their multi-fuel engine wouldn't it be fairly easy to just buy a bottle of it and try.

No, I'm not saying that violating the laws of thermodynamics is possible, I'm just saying test H as an additive to the fuel/air mixture to see what it does.

hedgehog69

Personally...I do believe the alternator rarely maxes out. I designed and built my own HHO generator. I could have built a plate HHO generator...but just wanted to be different. The initial bench test showed some awesome production. Since then, I have tig welded the connections...so production should only go up. I'll be installing this on the '99' ford Powerstroke soon. If I only gain 2 mpg, it will pay for itself quickly.
I will be mounting this so I can plumb the gas to the air intake. It looks to be a much easier installation for a diesel than a gas engine.

Hooty481

I would like to see some results of running one of these on a deuce.

I know that alot of engineers build alot of stuff that will work on paper and before they ever get it built you can tell them that it wont work and then when they get it built it dont work. I guess it works the same way. You can prove to someone it wont work on paper but until you actually put it together and try it how in the **** can you say it wont work. Put one together and see if it works.

Just what I think. let the bashing continue.

Keep up the good work AgeofDarkness

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a fact that it takes more energy than it produces to crack water. It doesn't matter if your alternator is "maxed out" or not. It could work if you could get a "free" energy source as solar to do the work.

Even if you could use something like solar power to produce HHO it still seems like alot of work for little gain. The main theme of this thread is talking about running HHO in a deuce. It's much easier just to go pick you up some WMO and dump it in the tank if you're looking for fuel savings.

The whole "water to gas" deal just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. There was a local guy that run a small repair shop that really started pushing HHO generators and wanted you to pay him to install one on your vehicle. This was back when gas first really went up after Katrina. He took a bunch of people's money claiming big mpg gains. It finally got so bad that he had to close up shop and there were alot of people running around with these cobbled up systems installed on their vehicles that did nothing but screw up your vehicle's OEM emissions control system and caused your mileage to go down (not up).

AgeOfDarkness94

I'm going to be creating a new thread based soley for the discussion of HHO viability and practicality. I apologize for the thread hijacking going on Westex. maybe someday someone will post on here after thorough experimentation. I unfortunately do not have a deuce and a half, so it's impossible for me to say if its even possible.

Ill Post a link to the discussion in this thread after I have it up.

Again, sorry Wextex.

best regards
-Tyler

TexAndy

Personally...I do believe the alternator rarely maxes out. I designed and built my own HHO generator. I could have built a plate HHO generator...but just wanted to be different. The initial bench test showed some awesome production. Since then, I have tig welded the connections...so production should only go up. I'll be installing this on the '99' ford Powerstroke soon. If I only gain 2 mpg, it will pay for itself quickly.
I will be mounting this so I can plumb the gas to the air intake. It looks to be a much easier installation for a diesel than a gas engine.

It doesn't matter if you max out the alternator. Alternators don't produce "extra" electricity.

If you put a current draw on it to turn water into hydrogen, it will make the alternator just that much harder to turn (meaning more fuel spent by the engine to do so).

This is a closed system we're talking about here. You aren't going to gain 2 mpg. You are much more likely to lose 2 mpg than anything else.

But it's your money. Just be honest with yourself and do some valid mileage tests. Don't just rely on dividing tank fillups by mileage traveled because that will NOT give you an accurate enough reading to tell you anything.

Put exactly 1 gallon of gasoline in the tank and time how long it takes the engine to burn it all.

Then do the same test after you do your conversion. Then tell us which one ran longer.

Had a customer ask me if i thought hydrogen generators would work. I said no. the computer wont see the extra air flow or fuel and wont run right.

Internet knows more than me. he spent $1500. yes one thousand five hundred dollars to have a system put on his suburban. The hydrogen generator got ahead of the fuel and would lean out and not run in stop and go traffic.

paid $60 dollars for tow Paid me $150 to remove the system and repair the wiring. The intake temp sensor had been bypassed with a resistor. (old trick or richen fuel mixture) Had put a variable rester in the mass airflow circuit to try and trick computer. Had done a butcher job of wiring in the generators.

Easy money for me, expensive lessen for him.

Darwin T

I'm still waiting for a response on another thread as to whether you can burn Jergens Lotion in a multifuel engine.......:mrgreen:
Play nice boys......
hi g-force
go to the classified ads on here, look under other and look for

"Free to a good home: 1,425 Gallons of petroleum jelly"

this should give you some information and a big smile. :lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks