• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am not 18 anymore

bones1

What innovative ways have you guys come up with to open the hood that's a little easier on us old soldiers?. Steps, sticks, hydraulic rams,cables, from the ground etc?. Do you carry a ladder with you?.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Stand on the front bumper. Make sure your hood has a handle.

Pinkie

What innovative ways have you guys come up with to open the hood that's a little easier on us old soldiers?. Steps, sticks, hydraulic rams,cables, from the ground etc?. Do you carry a ladder with you?.
Mine came with a step on the front, original issue. It really helps. I am not saying buy it from this company but there is a picture. truck body parts: M35A2 and 5 Ton Front Bumper Step Kit N.O.S. Sales, Buy truck body parts: M35A2 and 5 Ton Front Bumper Step Kit N.O.S. Products from alibaba.com

P

Sirblissfull

The M820A2 has a 2 step fold down ladder on the front drivers side bumper. I am debating installing a length of catwalk between the grill and bumper. Balancing on the frame extensions or fender while lifting the hood about got me a couple months ago.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leave it unsecured and hit 40 mph.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel your pain. Try opening the A3 hood, it is bigger and has the soundproofing. Makes me tired just doing that simple task.
My A3 didn't come with a step like my A2 has. I'm going to add a step to my A3. Whatever is done, safety is paramount. There is a lot of iron out front that can do a lot of damage if you land on it. It is also critical to secure the hood with the latch once opened. A little wind can ruin your whole day.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A handle on the hood, and I also carry a 6' step ladder in the back.

I stand on the bumper, off to the drivers side. I lift it about 1-2', then step onto the fender while lifting the hood all the way up. Then I lean it gently against the top of the windshield frame. I then secure the hood safety rod to the hook.

To close it, I let it drop, while standing on the fender, from about 1-2' up.

The 5 ton hood is worse.

Bighurt

I wonder if anyone has done a butterfly mod...

I don't have issues with my hood, but then again I'm still active duty, just not 18.

Sirblissfull

Install a knuckle boom behind the cab to arch over the cab and open the hood.

OR just buy a wrecker and install a lift point on the hood in place of a handle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks