• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Bought a Mog

FM5332FF

Well K.C Stopped selling his kit, But he did let me in on where his stuff came from, So I ordered my stuff for the mog, I will take pictures of the install and let you all know how it goes. BBQ Time [thumbzup]

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

January 15th, 2011.

FM5332FF:

At least while you have the Gas Unimog....AVOID any gasoline with ethanol in it at all!!!! My S404.114 ran year in and year out in Texas, including a 750 mile trip up here to Illinois...So far it has had 3 fuel pumps (mechanical) in 3 months due to the d--ned Ethanol these corn growers sell! Now the EPA wants to up the allowance to 15%! No Unimog was ever designed to digest that stuff...Take it from Wolf Dose. My Unimog eats everything else up as an on road or off road truck in it's capabilities, except for speed, and it never normally complains... I've put over 12,000 miles on it in three years, and it gets better mileage then a deuce. I'm considering converting it to an electric fuel pump and mothballing the mechanical one, but if the ethanol gets any higher it will eat the tank linings out.....
Maybe its time to hit the lotto and get a U1300L! I will say though, once you get a Unimog running, they run, and run and run....Fuel issues seems to be the only thing that will stop them.[thumbzup] You would have liked the Swiss NDT's better for on and off road, as the V treads will stick you in one direction, reverse!!!

FM5332FF

I am keeping the stock NDT's also so I can still drive the truck around town, The V treads are for when I take it off road :) they require a 24" wheel. Maybe later on I will put some 12.5 20s On the stock wheels for street driving. But for now the V Treads will be fine because I have my M813A1 For around town fun.:jumpin:

davidkroberts

not a bad posting on the ethanol thing. That is bad juju on any older engine especially seals and such. It is also very very bad on engines that are carborated and arent run constantly. etahnol blend WILL gum up carbs.

FM5332FF

I found another source for parts also, The parts that I ordered came from Nashfuel.com I have found that he has great prices and even better customer Service. I didnt order from the same place as KC, But it gave me most of the information that I needed, The system that I will be using most parts are readily available, The only thing that I have to do to install the kit is enlarge the holes on the base plate for the throttle body to 13/32, I am using a Impco CA125-8 Mixer With a 3" Air Horn and AT2-11-1 Throttle body, then a AA3-32-2 Adapter to use the Ca125 on the AT2-11-1 , Impco JB-2 Propane Convertor, VFF30-2 Lock Off, Which is set up for 5/8 Water hoses to warm the regulator, Im using 3/8 High pressure hose from the tank to the Convertor and a 3/4 Vapor Hose. Im using Forklift tanks on my mog also. I will be installing it all on Monday or Tuesday so I wil let you know how it goes, I will also take some more pictures.

UNIMOG-GUY

Got the info from KC:

For those of you who would like to price shop

http://www.carbturbo.com/

Carburetion & Turbo Systems Inc.
1897 Eagle Creek Blvd.
Shakopee, MN

Tel. (952) 445-3910
Fax (952) 445-6070
Toll Free Fax (877) 347-4334

Ask for Item number: LP-KIT-LINE-X
You will only need this 1 item.

The kit costs $420.00 and $45.00 for a forklift tank bracket.

Last edited:

FM5332FF

I live right down the road from 1000 acres of trails and a big mud hole, so I can take the road as long as I have a reflective triangle :) I'm keeping my stock wheels also if I have the urge to drive it around. The Mog will be registered tagged and is already insured.

FM5332FF

I am using a different throttle body than then one that KC uses, That way I dont have to clock the throttle body 90* using a special part, It also allows me to upgrade to a Ca200 Mixer if i want.

FM5332FF

1 IMP-CA125-8- LP Carb., 3" Air Horn, Less Throttle Body 144.45
1 IMPCO MODEL JB-2 PROPANE CONVERTOR & VFF30-2 LOCK OFF, Set up for 5/8" Hoses 157.75
1 7141F- Tank Coupling 9.50
12 H36606- Hose, Propane 3/8" High Pressure 9.25 Per FT 111.00
2 24706N-406- Hose Coupling, Reusable 7.15 each 14.30
5 misc.- Vapor Hose 3/4", 7.60 per ft. 38.00
2 misc.- Straight Fittings for Vapor Hose 3/4" 9.80
1 IMP-AT2-11-1 Throttle Body 91.15
1 IMP-AA3-32-2- ADAPT. 200M TO CA100 TB 16.96

Shipping was free​

Last edited:

FM5332FF

I have been working alot lately and had the Richloam rally this past weekend so I have not had the time to post the pictures of my progress, So here they are. The propane was simple to install, I still have to put the hose clamps on then it will be done. I bought some new coil springs also that I will be playing with to see if I could get a little more flex in the suspension.

Attachments

Haf-E

any progress to report on the propane conversion project?

what will you be doing for the connection to the air cleaner - will it work with the stock setup?

FM5332FF

I have not yet started it, but the conversion is done, I have to bring my tanks in to town to get them filled, I have just not had the time. As for the intake. the stock air cleaner will not work due to that is where I mounted my regulator and fuel lock off. But I will be making a air box so I can use a snorkel.

dc3coyote

What kind of "mileage" are you expecting with the propane? I may do that with mine down the road.

Also let me know how much you want for the oil bath and breather assemblies. I need that as well.

FM5332FF

it should get around 10-12 mpg and make about the same or more power, thats because most of the 32NDIX carbs are not that efficient. I also picked up my new wheels today. I had them made by Opie at CHOP Fab, he is a great guy to do business with. I will mount the tires as soon as I kick this cold.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks