• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I can provide power steering CHEAP & RELIABLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadsword71

Post 1 :
If I could provide brand new power steering systems for the M35 for under 600.00 dollars maybe even cheaper than that. How many would be interested? I have a bolt on kit that requires very little mechanical abilities, fail proof, and heavy duty. I can provide an endless supply of these systems complete with instructions tailored for the M35.

Post 13 :
Wow that was fast!!! OK...I'm working on the kit as we speak. Its still being designed but very close to completion. I have used this same principle on other vehicles since I was about 15 years old. I was building it for my own deuce and thought... why not provide this to the masses. Paying 3k just seems so insane. I'm down here in S. Florida and the rain has been non stop and has slowed me down quite a bit. Standby on the pics/kit and more accurate pricing. Again I was interested in how many responses I'd get. But I am now motivated to complete it. Give me a few more days. I'm working on the pump brackets at the moment.

In post # 1 you stated you HAVE a kit . In post # 13 you state it is still being designed . I have re-read post 1 and it says you have a kit which by mow everyone here knows you don't have . I will agree that it does not say you have kits ready for sale , but in your own words you say you HAVE a kit.

Chill out...I have the system I built installed on other vehicles I own and operate that are bolt on applications. I have retrofitted the same principal to the M35 near completion. That's all. I have no pics of the unit yet. I will take pictures if and when the rain ever stops and I have time to complete the install. I originally had no intention in doing this...but wondered if people would be interested in a kit. Because I would provide a kit if the liability is able to be circumvented. If the liability is to much of a hassle I'm done. So there are a few reasons why I'm not posting particulars at the moment and again....the thread was to get a feel from interested parties before I went further with the "kit" Im creating.

broadsword71

Maybe you'ld like him to list each and every part as well as the assembly instructions. :roll:

1st he has to estimate quantities, contact the suppliers to get pricing & delivery based upon said quantities. Once that is accomplished he could list them for sale and show pictures of the kit.

Being low budget myself, I doubt I'll cough up six bills for power steering.
Afterall Arnstrong power steering is still free................

There we go!!! Hit the nail on the head.

With respect I did say I have kits. I should have said I can create kits. I do have the system installed on other vehicles. It is a kit...uses all the same parts.

Thanks for understanding...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not the complete forklift steering section, there's just one part that is a torque multiplier. Another vendor here actually sells a kit. Basically you cut up the steering column and install the unit there. It forces the stock steering box to steer like power steering. (Increases the torque going into the steering box from the steering wheel) I bought one, but haven't had time to build one. I think I gave $300-350 for it new on ebay.
Wouldn't that make the steering wheel turns from lock to lock more? You can't increase torque by mechanical means without increasing distance traveled.

I'd consult a lawyer but I'd try and keep the lawyers and insurance companies out of it as much as I could. You get them too involved and that $600 kit can turn into $2K real fast. You still need to have your butt covered though. One consideration is to label them "off-road only" and what the end user uses it for would be on them. I'd much rather pay $600 for a "off-road only" kit than I had pay $2,000 for the same kit labeled for road use.

I've researched this also myself and am no stranger to building PS setups. I have my doubts you can put together a kit for $600 and have any profit in it for yourself. Is the PS pump included in this price?

I have an idea on what kind of setup you are talking about. It's the cheapest way I know of to add hyd PS. I've never put one together to see how well it would actually work though. We shall see.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wouldn't that make the steering wheel turns from lock to lock more? You can't increase torque by mechanical means without increasing distance traveled.
Nope. It uses a torsion bar to physically connect the input and output shaft. That allows the orbital valve up top to allow flow to the actuator portion at the bottom. There's only a few degrees difference between the input and output when turning it.

Basically think of it working as a servo to sense the input on the top half of the unit. Then the bottom half works as a hyd. assist. The difference being in this setup is that there's no ram at the tie rod. It's all being forced through the steering box instead.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No it's not a forklift steering system...but i like the way you think, and I'm not sure about the liability, that's why I'm going to see an attorney this week. This unit is not from an existing system thats going to retrofit the M35...I would be surprised if a forklift steering system like you stated is that cheap. But I know nothing about forklifts. It is completely fabricated. What I meant was the items used to create the p/s system are brand new.

IHMO, Your equipment must have a U.L. rating for the original intended application. If the equipment falls under the same parameters as the UL intended use your system would be safe. The hydraulic cylinder only will pull and push a certain PSI constant. I may be out on a limb, But thats how my mind works. :popcorn:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Liability issues" stamp em with "FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY", I bought a hitch for my bobbed deuce that had this on it.
And use something labeled " FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY " on a public road will allow your insurance company to void your policy in the event of a accident . As you are using something that clearlt stated " FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY " . And simply stating " for offroad use only " won't keep the manufacturer ( the guy assembling and selling the kits ) out of any legal action from failure on a public road . It may or may not limit the amount of liability on the manufacturer , but there will be a ton of legal fees defending any lawsuits.

broadsword71

I'd consult a lawyer but I'd try and keep the lawyers and insurance companies out of it as much as I could. You get them too involved and that $600 kit can turn into $2K real fast. You still need to have your butt covered though. One consideration is to label them "off-road only" and what the end user uses it for would be on them. I'd much rather pay $600 for a "off-road only" kit than I had pay $2,000 for the same kit labeled for road use.

I've researched this also myself and am no stranger to building PS setups. I have my doubts you can put together a kit for $600 and have any profit in it for yourself. Is the PS pump included in this price?

I have an idea on what kind of setup you are talking about. It's the cheapest way I know of to add hyd PS. I've never put one together to see how well it would actually work though. We shall see.
Good copy on all...it does include the p/s pump. And that is a good idea on the offroad use only.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Label it for OFF ROAD USE ONLY and someone gets hurt or killed with your system off road, even if it isn't the steerings fault (they sue everyone with any part on a truck nowadays) and the 'manufacturer' is still the one sued.

Honestly, without getting the liability insurance required to protect yourself, thus adding huge costs to the final kit, your best bet is to source it all out, and provide drawings/plans/instructional DVDs as freeware. (cover your DVD and printing costs though) The liablity then falls to whoever is 'dumb' enough to build said kit and install it. Even put on the plans 'never to be built, for display only, etc'

Yes, I know, you won't make any money off your kit that way. But getting the lawyers involved and paying for the insurance, you won't sell very many, if any, $2k kits.

JasonS

If this is the Garrison control valve drag link you are talking about; nothing new and anybody can call them up and buy one. They quoted me a price of $1200 just for the valve. Then add the pump and the slave cylinder; probably creeping close to the $2k mark. You still have a truck that takes too many turns lock to lock.

The torque assist has been done.

You can do the HF54 for about a grand and a little work.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope. It uses a torsion bar to physically connect the input and output shaft. That allows the orbital valve up top to allow flow to the actuator portion at the bottom. There's only a few degrees difference between the input and output when turning it.

Basically think of it working as a servo to sense the input on the top half of the unit. Then the bottom half works as a hyd. assist. The difference being in this setup is that there's no ram at the tie rod. It's all being forced through the steering box instead.
Ok, I've got you now. I've seen those type systems before. In your first post I assumed the increased torque was accomplished by mechanical means.

rickf

You guys are amazing! Most of you want the kit but at the same time you are fighting with the guy and telling him there is no way he can do it that cheap. How the he!! do you know? You don't even know what he is doing. Several guess's have been made based on what is already out there but nobody but Broadsword knows for sure. Cut the man some slack, he is trying to help you guys out. As far as liability..................How many of you are running tires that were never supposed to be run on your trucks? How many of you are running bobbers that were not designed by engineers? How many are running or towing overloaded? Liability? Give me a break!

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks