• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I found a V8 Deuse

Billy Bobbed

I talked to the owner I offered him $200.00 for the transfer case,remote pto pump,and the center floor board with the info on transfer case,he said yes.fat lady singsBut I have to take it out.So Saturday I will be pulling a tranfer case.aua That is the only thing I could use for now.If he still has the truck later when I need something I can go it ,without having a parts deuce in my drive.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got a steal. The transfer case PTOs are a hit and miss. I've struggled to get $250 out of one and sold others for $750. Congrats!

o1dakota440

what is he going to do with the engine/ tranny and the mounts that hold the engine in the duece? i would love to put a worked over rb engine in a duece. if i could get the engine and tranny mounts from him that would be great.

feets

That's definitely an industrial 413. It's got the high mounted large diameter water pump. I had one in the past and still run a Chrysler "RB" engine. It's a twin turbocharged fuel injected 440 in a 65 Plymouth but it would fit nicely in a Deuce.

It's a shame that someone took the axles. It would be a nice truck if it was complete.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that engine, the road speed would be very good. No problem doing 60-65. Just maybe issues with the high speed for the transmission and maybe differentials, and certainly the brakes. If it had any. If I were to ever put together a truly high speed deuce, a big block V8 would be the way to go. I would probably go with a built cadillac 500 tho.

What were they thinkin with that 2 bbl carb..

Dodge man

As others have pointed out it's definitely a big block Mopar engine. You can tell by the distributor. But I'd be surprised if it's a 413, Chrysler hasn't used those in automobiles since the mid 60s. But I don't know anything about their industrial engines so maybe they continued using them longer in that application. I would expect to find that it's a 440 designed for a motor home. If so those are good engines, they usually build with the strongest cranks available but the major difference is that they have much larger cooling jackets to handle the prolonged idling and heavy loads. One result of the larger cooling jacket is that they use small diameter spark plugs unlike any of the other RB engines. Somewhere here I have a engine swap manual from Chrysler fom the early 70s that gives a good description of all the different engine parts and part numbers and casting numbers of everything for all their automobile engines. Also since a MH isn't designed for high speed they use a conservative cam and small carburators for economy (that's a relative term!) and torgue. If that is a motor home engine it should be a GREAT engine for a MV!

I'll try to dig out that book. If you can get some casting numbers I'll try to tell you what it is. But pull a spark plug and see if it has a small base.

feets

What would you like to know about Mopar industrial engines?
They used 413s in industrial applications and even motorhomes well into the 70s. Mine was a 1973 413 out of a motorhome. It is strange that they kept them in service despite killing them off for passenger car use in 1963.
That engine should have the 8 bolt extended flange forged steel crank. The block may or may not have provisions for cross bolted main caps. It certainly has the high mounted water pump which means it's a larger diameter than the passenger car pump (by 1/2" or so). That means it has the "peanut" spark plug heads with water jackets extending into the block and heads from the pump housing. The cam will be a pretty small affair made for stump pulling torque. The cam and heads will limit engine speed to 4500 rpm under an appreciable load. Compression will be in the neighborhood of 8.5:1 and maybe as high as 9:1.
I've often thought about dropping my spare 440 into a deuce with another pair of turbos like I use in my hot rod. It makes loads of torque and still runs higher rpm than a diesel.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I said in post 13, this would be a cool deuce and worth the effort to get it back on the road. I'm not a big fan of repowers but this one looks to be done right and I dig what they did in the interior. As much as I don't like gasser stuff, I''d love to have that one. I think that 413 would be almost ideal and easy to massage a few more #feet of torque out of it.

Elwenil

That's definitely a Mopar big block. It's hard to say from the pics which one it is. If it's a raised deck (RB) big block it will have a flat machined surface about 2" square right behind the water pump tot he drivers side, even with the intake mounting surface that will be stamped with the size and other information. The common RB series engines are the 413, 426(wedge and Hemi) and 440. If it's a B-series or low deck big block, the machined surface I mentioned for the RB series will not exist. Instead the information will be stamped just to the driver's side of the distributor, sort of behind it on a pad machined even with the passenger side head surface. Common B-series low deck big block engines are the 350, 361, 383 and 400.

If the water pump housing mounts directly to the front of the heads, it's most likely a RB series industrial engine. These things are easy to identify if you know what to look for but unfortunately none of the pics clearly show these identifying areas. The intake and carb is making me want to say it's a low deck B-series engine, but some of the industrial RB engines did come with small 2BBL carbs so it could still be a RB engine. The 413 and 440 industrial engines were in production through the '78 model year, the 361 and 400 versions were dropped much earlier.

Billy Bobbed

Can anyone tell me the benefit of the REB kit in a transfer case,when I got an air shift transfer case in my deuce now.The TFC in the REO truck has a tag that says its an 1973.The floor board says it has a REB kit.Now that I looked at one of my pictures it does show another shifter,or is that for the pto_Or does the pto run all the time.I cant remember if its an air shift TFC.Lets say the TFC is an air shift. What good is the REB kit then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks