• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I got a KNUCKLE BOOM !! Need mesurments

ODdave

Alright, Went and payed for it and got her home today. Its heavy, Mabye a tad too heavy to drop right on a deuce frame.

Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to attach a double frame (Heavy spec / Michigan special) set up? I have acsess to taller frame rail. I am in need of thoughts on how to atach it. Weld seem logical but is frowned upon by dot. Bolts then?

I plan on runing the rail from under the cab back to the rear axle atachment plate & ataching it to the plate as well

Last edited:

ODdave

Fishplate the frame? I dont think where talking about the same thing. A MI special is not a stacked frame.

I was trying to find a picture....No luck. The style im talking about is 2 chanels one over the other

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

Fishplate being weld plates to both sides of each framerail, I am not talking about stacking two frames by any means. You could box it too, but I don't know if I would.

Jeepjake

I am interested too in how you will be reinforcing your frame, I have a HIAB 173 crane that I will be mounting in front of my box (just shoving the box rearward 14 inches to allow the crane to fit). I was planning on sleeving the frame with an insert, but haven't considered fishplating the frame...

:popcorn:
i would love to hear from some of the gents who already have cranes operational on their trucks.... maybe som PICS :)

cheers all
Jeep

spicergear

Okay- I see a LOT of these come through where I work. That crane is rarely bolted directly onto the frame. Usually there is a 3x3 box or some other sort of tube steel base boxed closed that is 3' to 4' long to spread the load of the crane over more of the frame. On my M931A2 I have is mocked up sitting where it is and awaiting 3x3x 1/4" wall tube steel and 1/2"x 3 bar stock to build the base I want. That crane is not too heavy for the truck. Yes, it's heavy...prolly 3400lbs but you'll be fine. Oh, then, they're usually sandwiched to the frame with 7/8" long bolts or round stock with threads cut or rolled at the ends. The lower mount generally is a heavy piece of bar stock something like 2" wide by 1" or more thick...the same idea has holding the front axle up to the spring packs with long bolts clamping it all together. The knucklebooms typically have a very short front to rear footprint so the addition of some type of additional frame base is darn near a must.

On my other crane truck with the HEMTT M977 crane, that had large side plates that bolt onto the side of the frame to give it strength that way...sort of along the same lines of the fishplate idea. I ended up using two per side because of how I had to mount the outriggers on that truck and have a total of 28- 5/8" bolts holding crane and outrigger plates to the frame.

Fastnova: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/74111-my-evil-plan-working.html

ODdave

That is great info. Do you think 2x3x3/8 thick would be good? I ask because I have a brand new 20ft chunk I bought for a previous project and would be nice to use it.

spicergear

You could prolly get away with it but if you look at that front the ends with the rolled corners you end up with maybe 1-1/2" of stiff side height...ya follow? Those sides are what make up the strength when used in this application. Your heavy wall 2" is better than nothing...but I think I'd bite the bullet and bump up to 3".

spicergear

I should soon have the steel for my frame base then I can lift it off, get that fabbed and get'er on for good! A month or so ago I did not renew gf's contract (ha,ha) and have a new one so you'll prolly beat me getting the crane on! :mrgreen:

ODdave

Cool project, be sure to post pics
Not real glamorous but heres a few after stripping the frame and droping the new rail on. First pic is of the rails before they where cut.

Oh yea, Fwiw. I have less than 5min into removing all my rivets :D

Attachments

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not real glamorous but heres a few after stripping the frame and droping the new rail on. First pic is of the rails before they where cut.

Oh yea, Fwiw. I have less than 5min into removing all my rivets :D

Great start! Use magic on those rivets?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks