• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have joined the Goat herd

m38inmaine

Mine has the two screws but the bumpers are missing, the parts manual shows it as Pad, cushioning Bumper, cover assembly, Engine 2EA 11656176. Looks like a rectangular rubber block.

combat32

I am also considering an upgrade to composite lights, I already have them and a couple of my originals are badly rusted inside.

Any thoughts on this? I have seen a few that the Army upgraded over time.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
I am going composite, on the front I put LEDs, so I figured I put LEDs on the rear as well. Anything to get folks to see you when you're out & about.

wsucougarx

I'm stuck in a quandary myself on this one. My Goat came with one traditional incandescent headlight and one modern Trucklite LED headlight. Hmm, do I go with the traditional to keep her era correct? Or do I go modern for better lighting? I'll have to figure out how often I drive MVs at night as oppose to the shows/parades I'll take this too.

Another Ahab

My two cents:

- Go with the LED (unless it horribly makes the Goat look totally "wrong").

You get the maximum safety benefits and efficiencies, and you're already half-way there with the one headlight already.

It can go either way, of course, but that's what comes to mind in my feeble old brain.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Doesn't look so bad with LEDs in front.

leds.jpgIMG_20150809_165526.jpg

Why worry about period correctness Mike?
Didn't you put IR spots on the front bumper.
I don't think that was period.:recovry4x4:

It is all about the KOOL factor.
Whatever unit had the goat would put on whatever replacement part was the "all the rage" at the time.

Could always put LED bulbs in the older version of the tail lights, for more visibility.

Anyone have any "In Service" pics, of the goat, with the composite lights in the rear?
I think the FAAR units would be the most recent vehicles still in service,but I haven't found a pic of one of them with composites in the rear.

Another Ahab

Shoot no; the LEDS don't take away from the look at all. If anything they amp it up.

You'll know what's right for you, but they look great I'd say (thanks for the pic quarkz).

Artisan

I'm stuck in a quandary myself on this one. My Goat came with one traditional incandescent headlight and one modern Trucklite LED headlight. Hmm, do I go with the traditional to keep her era correct? Or do I go modern for better lighting? I'll have to figure out how often I drive MVs at night as oppose to the shows/parades I'll take this too.
If you go w/ LED and if you are in snow and ice country, remember
LEDs rarely get hot enough to shed snow which can be a real issue.

Truck-Lite does make a heated LED, auto-thermostat if I remember
correctly. Check your voltage and wiring config and start w/
a Truck-Lite #07496 or NSN 6220-01-616-1079 and go from there.

combat32

In the Gamma Goat detail in action book by D. Doyle I saw a couple of pics of trucks in service that had composite lights in the front(turn signals).

Haven't seen any on the rear, not sure if they would even fit in there, will have to check. I am not so worried about the rear anyway as the stock tail/ brakelights provide pretty good illumination.

I want to be period correct but safety and cost are a factor as well, already sold one kidney to finance this build, only got one left:wink:

combat32

Well I submitted my Goat's info with bikeman on the vin info thread, no dice for me. Funny though that the truck right before and after mine did show up(by serial #)

But thats the way these things go, so I start with a clean slate so to speak, when I was in the 11th ACR years ago our engineer company had some goats and the Howitzer battery as well.

So I may use their bumper numbers, kinda leaning toward the engineer unit as the 58th Engineers had a cool logo/mascot.

Attachments

Last edited:

combat32

Still working on the engine, my no. 3 valve guide was missing, strange! And the fuel pump drive is bent, probably related to the incident that bent the valves. So gotta get those parts ordered and hopefully put her back together and ground hop it by early next month. Then should be ready to go back in.

Glad again I got that transmission from you Mark, as it looks like when they put this one in they hammered it in, input shaft is kinda chewed. Why bother lining things up, just get a bigger hammer!:mrgreen:

Everything else looks good to go!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad it could be of use. Mine is hovering on the auction block at the moment. Trying to decide if things would be better (meaning me being able to do events with less physical effort) with a LMTV instead of the Goat and if it swings that way the Waffle House Express will need to move on down the road.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh my goodness, everyone's dumping their Goats? You guys have been in inspiration!
Nothing set in stone yet. I figured the deuce would be the 1st to go as the LMTV would be it's direct replacement. Problem is I have my eye on an extremely nice M1078 and might need to lose both of them to afford it.

combat32

I have 2 spare transfer cases that I know nothing about. I stripped both down of usable parts and was gonna junk both of them.

Then I started kinda working with best one and it actually turns by hand in high and low range appears to work so guess I will keep it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks