• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need to know about putting larger single radials on

texas30cal

A very large BAE systems facility near me closed and they are scrapping out unbelievable amounts of trucks, parts, and chassis. They sold quite a few complete/near complete trucks and some parts but are scrapping a LOT. I have seen a stack (100 or more) of new complete chassis for trucks with what I believe was all CAT/Allison drivetrains get scrapped bc they didn't want to mess with auctions. Anyway I found out today that they have mountains of tires on wheels from a variety of vehicles. I have done some reading, there is a lot to read on this site that's for sure, but I want to go up there asap and try to secure a set if they are what I will need for a deuce. So what I need to know is what size tire/rim combination, hole pattern, and are there different patterns? Any other helpful information will be greatly appreciated. I also have read a little about flipping the hubs but have to read more, if anyone could point me to a good thread that would be great.

texas30cal

l will do some more searching tonight when I hit the bed, you would think they would get more from selling to one of the big surplus parts suppliers like the one in Colorado, I cant remember the name as I am still new to this. Not Colorado, Boyce in Utah was the one I was thinking of, still very new I am sure I will remember all of the suppliers once they start getting my money.

Last edited:

texas30cal

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgOk, I went to the scrapyard to look around better and holy cow!! Mountains of tires and wheels some well used most new or nearly new, I saw some on aluminum rims and some on steel. I am eyeballing the MVT 395/85's there are many brand new ones and they said the ones they broke down all had the run flat inserts in them. They are asking $150 ea less in quantity.

Attachments

texas30cal

They also have stacks of Allison transmissions and CAT C7's, all were in running trucks when they came in some are still in the front half of the chassis complete, I have to verify but I heard a number of $2500 each. I think that is for a motor and trans but have to confirm and they said they all had less than 2k hours.

texas30cal

As long as you don't beat me to them this coming week!! I was really thinking about buying them all and reselling but don't have the time to mow the yard much less to mess with that. I posted the pic of the old military trailer too bc it's just waiting for a new home and seems to be very solid. I will get a few more pics up. Do the l.e.d. headlights out of the newer mv's fit in the m35's?

Attachments

Last edited:

texas30cal

I just spoke to the lady in the office and got some pics right before closing, and talked to one yard hand. I will go see the boss on Monday morning and get contact info for everyone. I don't know if they will ship but if y'all arrange for it and pay for it from your end I can help with inspections or whatever you need on this end. It is a ****ed shame seeing them all get scrapped!

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Those appear to be aluminum. So, I'm going to say no... You might be able to use a 6lug to 10lug adapter though. But honestly it's not going to be that cost effective.

texas30cal

They have both aluminum and steel, but that offset will work on the m35 with flipping the hubs? Recentering them is no problem steel or aluminum.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
They have both aluminum and steel, but that offset will work on the m35 with flipping the hubs? Recentering them is no problem steel or aluminum.
Those wheels have to have a new plate made for them. Then the "hump" cut out. The plates I know that were made were for welding in place. I suppose one could also create a whole new plate with the outer perimeter bolts in them with the same pattern. Then press out all the wheel studs and press them into the plates, then reassemble. But that's for the birds IMO. You wouldn't be able to cut out and weld in a insert for aluminum. Well you could with a TIG, but that proposition scares me due to metallurgic differences.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks