• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I started bobbing too

I didn't get pictures yet, but we got the bumperettes bolted on tonight. I also didn't get a pic of the fuel tank and brackets being off of the truck because it was dark when I finally did that. I did, however, get the tool box and battery box off of the truck. It's unreal how tall the truck looks without that stuff hiding the frame. Fuel tank, battery box, and tool box (all custom made) are going to go in the front of the bed when I'm done. Oh yeah, I did chop (but did not finish) the fenders too.

I also decided I'm going to rent a 185 CFM air compressor and 300# sand blaster and go to town blasting the ENTIRE deuce one weekend. Might as well do it right the first time. I'll never have this much of the truck off at once again.

Attachments

Man how did I miss this thread??? It has gone much easier than I thought it would so far. At least we get the practice now for doing mine more sooner than later. I think the RED primer looks better then the white you used.......:-D

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree on using the original Deuce bed. i think they are better looking than the 105s for some reason. no that i havent seen nice bobbed deuces with 105 beds. just saying. I was thinking about Bobbing my M109 and using a shortened deuce bed and then making it like a Mini Dump. what are heavier duty, deuce front springs or M105 springs? Does anybody have pics of a bobbed deuce with a dump box?

mudguppy

... what are heavier duty, deuce front springs or M105 springs? ...
the concensus around here is that the deuce front spring pack is identical to the 105 spring pack (not including the overload springs on the 105).

the hangers are quite different, though, which is why folks using 105 parts need to use a lift block or stack the 105 frame under the deuce frame.

if i ever get another bob'er, i think i'd like to have one with a cut-down deuce bed as a 'tipper. i'd like to keep the stock-height suspension and keep some sore of duals in the rear. i've seen some pics like this but don't think those have been 'tippers.

GPappy

the concensus around here is that the deuce front spring pack is identical to the 105 spring pack (not including the overload springs on the 105).

the hangers are quite different, though, which is why folks using 105 parts need to use a lift block or stack the 105 frame under the deuce frame.

if i ever get another bob'er, i think i'd like to have one with a cut-down deuce bed as a 'tipper. i'd like to keep the stock-height suspension and keep some sore of duals in the rear. i've seen some pics like this but don't think those have been 'tippers.
I believe that you could use the 105 springs with the same hangars as the Deuce front springs or make your own duplicates. Wouldn't that eliminate the need to stack frames or to use lift blocks?

I wanted to use a shortened drop side for mine but couldn't find one so ended up with a M105. When I registered my Deuce with the Sec of State they couldn't find Kaiser Jeep so they called it a Jeep and the only Jeeps they had in their computer were CJs and a pick up. I figure that the M105 bed will look more like a pickup.

oddshot

The front springs on the Deuce are made up of 12 leaves having a thickness of .445 inch. This spring set is configured with NO over-load set.

The spring pac on the M-105 trailer contains 11 leaves of .300 inch ... with 4 leaves of .300 inch as an over load set.

Combining leaves from both spring packs will give you the same rate, with no need to install over-load stops, and requires less of a lift block ... which can be made from the overload springs.

Done correctly all you will need to buy will be the U-bolts.

oddshot

I got the front axle off of my running deuce so I can sell it.

While I was there, I also got my front springs off for the bobbed deuce! What a PITA those rivets were though. The front spring hanger rivets were far more troublesome than the rear tandem rivets. Still need to get my shock mounts off...

Attachments

Seth_O

Looks real good, you're making me nostalgic for the days I spent bobbing my deuce. I would love to have enough land to have a parts truck, I could pay for the truck with selling just a matched set of rockwell's, everything else would be gravy. Sigh. Oh well........

I found that I had the best luck with the rivets using a torch. I finally dropped $100 on a set from craigslist, probably the second best chunk-of-change I spent on the truck.

Phil and I made a big accomplishment today. We got the springs mounted on the bobber. Next step is to crank the bolts tighter and put the axle on. I got the u-bolts, shock mounts, top and bottom spring plates all cleaned up and painted. You'll see them after the axle gets mounted though :-D

Attachments

PHIL BROKE MY BFH!!!!

But I welded on a nice piece of pipe. The first 3" are solid steel and the rest is hollow pipe arc welded on.

The deuce is sitting on it's own feet now. We pulled it and pushed it back and forth last night. What an accomplishment to no longer have it on blocks!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks