• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identifying two things, aux cables, Small tube on wheel

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheel bracket is for self recovery when stuck.

The power cable is for a radio. You can see the U shape bracket that held the tray in your picture.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe a shackle will fit the wheel bracket.
But, don't drive witha shackle on there. It may be a little unbalanced.
So the truck can be slinged from those two points along with the hood lift points on trucks that do not have the rear bumper.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are tie downs for rail car movement....which makes no sense to me, but the tie down decal shows these 2 point for rail car transport. There are platypus of other tie point.

also, when you sling a HMMWV with no bumper, you go through the tailgate, that why it says "sling guide" on the tailgate, it still attaches to the frame shackles....

teteacher101

Ok, so we got the cables are for the radio/coms, but the brackets are for rail transport and not part of a duel purpose self recovery apparatus/transport option then?

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slinging through the tailgate doesn't send it flying into space when picked up? I guess its all in the angle of the sling. Not that most of us ever have to worry about it.

Chief_919

I have never seen that hub bracket used for railroad tie downs, and none of the guides for railhead operations list a tie down procedure using it.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck is airlifted from the airlift towers and through the tailgate sling guides to the frame shackles on the rear for non bumper trucks.

the TM only shows them to be brackets...perhaps there use is in another TM for tie down or recovery options..

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this on the web but I have no first hand knowledge. I tried to find the TM but could not find the -1 if anyone has access?

The brackets, mounted to the wheels, are for self-recovery when a winch is
unavailable. A rod or bar is placed through each side and a cable or rope
attached. As the wheels spin, the rope winds around the bar/wheel assembly
and pulls the vehicle backward.The bolt holes are present on the front wheels because there is only one
type of wheel in use. The rear is only used because it will pull evenly and
it's typically easier to back out of a muck hole than forward deeper...
(Reference for concept, beyond training: FM 17-98-1, Scout Leaders Handbook,
Chapter 10, Section III and illustration 10-19)

teteacher101

Well I can see the self recovery being a possibility as from having practiced such things growing up on a farm-don't ask the methods we used though! :) However, just using a bar or piece of pipe isn't really possible in this case as the hub is recessed inside of the tire so to speak and is positioned in a manner that just placing a bar through the hole wouldn't do anything from what I can tell. If I had to guess there must be some apparatus that attaches to the hub. I have seen large eyelets that cable would wind through or a mini rim attached to hubs before. This one is kind of throwing me for a loop as to how it was designed to be used.

Action

Without a rear bumper, the shackles fit nera the end of the framerails. The sling runs through the top corners "ears" of the tailgate and then to the shackles. You can find videos on youtube.

Stevepsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is this? Small tube mounted to wheel.

It is a small tube mounted in the center of the wheel. I have seen them on military jeeps and hmmwv.image.jpg

Action

I guess you could also use a long log chain around a tree. As the wheel turns, the chain will get shorter just by twisting itself. It doesn't need to wrap around a bar or tire iron.

Wire Fox

Despite seeing multiple places showing that these are air lift brackets (specifically, for parachute drops) that are used so that the vehicle's suspension absorbs some of the landing impact, I still want to see these things used as an emergency self-recovery winch. I'm certainly no expert, but once I've got one in front of me to play with, I'm going to make sure the hardware grade of the bolts is adequate to not shear when a winching load is applied and whatever adapter might be able to be built and slotted into it will work as well. Should be fun!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks