• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identifying two things, aux cables, Small tube on wheel

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd guess field remedy. that was from a field manual- not the -10 TM all the old warhorses are bustin yer balls about though. stay safe buddy!
So what your plan when your out in the middle of no where with no phone service or instant answers on SS ?
Or a major internet outage , I can see it now dead MV's everywhere until the internet is back up.

mdainsd

Tie down points. You secure a vehicle to a flat surface (rail car, trailer or roll back) by attaching to something that is un-sprung weight. This is true for all vehicles with suspension. Tying down at the bumper loops is not good as the suspension compresses even more due to jostling over bumps etc, the tie-downs go slack. Notice any time they come to get your vehicle with a roll back they attach to the rear axle and somewhere on the outboard sides of the front suspension (if they know what they are doing). Self recovery? No. Self recovery using attachment to the wheels has been around since before WWII but is manifested as a truncated drum that once you wrap a rope around it you get an even pull as it is in effect a true winch.

Skrilex

Banned
So what your plan when your out in the middle of no where with no phone service or instant answers on SS ?
Or a major internet outage , I can see it now dead MV's everywhere until the internet is back up.
well I’ll solve that issue when it arises but I know who we can’t count on for help.
Do you carry the TM or have you committed it to memory? And have you ever seen reference in there to the part in question or are you just trying to seem like you know everything (and unwilling to share) by spouting the same worn out line over and over?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well I’ll solve that issue when it arises but I know who we can’t count on for help.
Do you carry the TM or have you committed it to memory? And have you ever seen reference in there to the part in question or are you just trying to seem like you know everything (and unwilling to share) by spouting the same worn out line over and over?
Well actually I carry a print out of some key things , like torque specs and some other things. I also have read all the TM's for my truck and 40+ years of working on heavy trucks and equipment I've learn a few things . But I have full service manuals for all my equipment , with the exception of my roadgrader , if I ever find a set for sale for it I will have it. Before the internet people actually learned to do things for themselves .

Skrilex

Banned
Cool. Well i emplore you to read the site rules because they state that answering a question with “read the manual” is actually against the rules. ;)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. Well i emplore you to read the site rules because they state that answering a question with “read the manual” is actually against the rules. ;)
Show me where I posted read the rules in the later part of this thread ( one of the many you have started that got merged) And if you read the rules it is within them to link the TM and section they information is in without spoon feeding someone who won't open a TM.

Skrilex

Banned
Show me where I posted read the rules in the later part of this thread ( one of the many you have started that got merged) And if you read the rules it is within them to link the TM and section they information is in without spoon feeding someone who won't open a TM.
so you can’t find where this part is mentioned in the tm? Do you see how this side banter is totally futile and unhelpful? It’s a discussion forum so if you don’t want to discuss then, well, just don’t. Pretty easy.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so you can’t find where this part is mentioned in the tm? Do you see how this side banter is totally futile and unhelpful? It’s a discussion forum so if you don’t want to discuss then, well, just don’t. Pretty easy.
Did you look in the parts TM ?

Bighorn

This is the kind of bickering that makes me delete my content and swear off this site for a while.
I repeat; Some of you need to learn some manners.

Skrilex

Banned
Did you look in the parts TM ?
I’m not going to read it bro. I don’t need to learn how to install ambulance parts on my vehicle. If you can produce where this part is in the TM I’ll read the whole thing. Would that make you feel better? That’s the compromise I offer. Now, I won’t retain all of it because 98% of it seems to be totally dull, like exceptionally dull, and completely inapplicable to my life. So, bickering aside and getting back on topic what we have found out is that this part is known to be officially used as a strange sort of winch thing, and some claim that it was used for strapping down the rigs on trains.
Now I read somewhere that it was forbidden to strap down the truck for transport by the tires. But I can’t remember where I saw this.

This is is a good discussion that really gets into the weeds a bit, and explores differences in human personalities. I’m sorry if my part in it turns off some of you, but I’m usually entertained by a thoughtful argument so maybe some of you are in for the duration. Maybe not. I dunno. I’m not reading the TM though.

snowtrac nome

With the front axle being steerable it wouldn't serve much good as a tie down point. I went looking through all the electronic version tm's and couldn't find it. I do remember seeing it in an old paper tm back in the late 80's it was in the preparation for shipping section. its not there now.

alphaseventwo

So you’re saying primarily it’s a shackle point for transporting? And the secondary function is a makeshift winch?
Actually, I stand corrected, (gladly admit I was wrong) I went out and looked at the tie-down label that is on my trucks dash (lower passenger side) and there is no mention at all about using those brackets for rail shipment. I've seen them used like that though. Also, it is obvious that General P. Place has clearly never used the internet to research anything, especially grammar and/or spelling! LOL. Some old dogs never give up on this site- but I assure you friend- there are some Generals here that are top-quality caliber American men, perfectly willing to discuss and share knowledge for the benefit of fellow members. And they don't teach that in ANY TM.

snowtrac nome

I did see a winch apperatus once that was a drum that could also be pinned through it some where, in order to use a redneck winch but you must have 2 and a long chunk of rope to make it work.

karlsmith

I have them mounted on the back and front (which I added). Anyone that gets "Lean against a rock....or something" knows to improvise with what you have. Air lift bracket, hole thingy, self recovery doo-dad. It's all of those.

dilvoy

This item is a USMC thing. AM General put them on Marine Corps Humvees when they built them. If you are not sailing with your Humvee, you probably don't need this item.

dhaumann69166

Did they come with a bar to put through the hole for recovery or do you just find something that fits and make it work? Just wondering cause now that I know what it’s for I am putting a rope and two bars under the back seat just in case I get to try it. If there is a “factory” bar I would like to get one. If not the rebar in the video looked like it worked fine.

Action

I guess no one was correct....
Inless it is for securing to a plstform for air lifting.
and, yes, I know the sling goes through the tailgate.

full.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks