• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identifying two things, aux cables, Small tube on wheel

Skrilex

Banned
What’s the welded tube thing for in the center of the rear hub?

Both rear wheel hubs have a tube welded between two plates bolted on 4 bolts. What am that for?

snowtrac nome

The -10 man. covers this, they are tie down points they use the same d ring shackles that are in your bumper. as I remember they are used for tie down on lapes pallets and air deployment.

Skrilex

Banned
Seriously I wish people would read those more. So inconsiderate to bother us old farts while we pickin r butts for things we love to babble on about.

Skrilex

Banned
Whoa weird my post grew on both ends. For a minute I was afraid I’d already asked the same thing before and forgotten. Anyway this is getting weird because I thought I read reference to specifically saying don’t use wheels to tie the rig down. And that winching technique, while being slick, doesn’t really seems legit. I mean using “some bar” which apparently must be bent a certain amount to even work, seems sketchy at best. I think if that were the intent they’d offer the bar in a kit with the truck.

Skrilex

Banned
Really . it's in the TM"S. :shock::shock::doghead::doghead:
So, can I enter a search in the tm and say “welded tube thing” or must I read the entire thing again to find this tidbit? Because either way it would be easier for you to just enlighten wouldn’t it? I wasn’t able to search it.

Im sorry but if reading a large military manual is a prerequisite to being in this website then I must leave I’m afraid. Is that a requirement?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Actually I found the thread that your post is now attached to by using "thing on wheel" in the site "custom search" block.

I mean this in a good way but we try and encourage any MV owner to read the TM for the vehicle that you own.
A lot of folks purchase a used and abused MV, get in them and drive them like a used car off a A'OK car lot. Till something like their front wheel falling off, or brakes failing on a Deuce that they have owned for over a year, with 13,000 lb truck with single circuit system ask, "how do I check my wheel bearings" or "where/how do I check my fluid"? Most general questions on a MV and pre and post driving checks are found in the -10 operators manual (TM) which are posted for free on line and on the site.
BTW those have actually happened!

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M998/TM-9-2320-280-10.pdf

Last edited:

Skrilex

Banned
Well I’m here to say you can save it because I’m never going to finish that novel. I got 3/4 through it and can’t remember a single thing I leaned that I wanted to learn. If this is a discussion group let’s discuss. And correct me if I’m wrong but this is the perfect example of an item that isn’t actually described in the manual because there seems to be debate as to what it’s for even among manual readers. So, wtf. If it’s some sort of joke to waste my time reading then, my dears, you’ve wasted you time instead. Sorry, but there’s always the option of just not engaging with stupid questions that are beneath you guys. I’ve been on a few forums and I’ve seen the same questions pop up over and over too. So what? Doesn’t change the flavor of my Cheerios.

So is the goal to have people drive their vehicles how you think they should be driven/maintained or what. I don’t get it sorry.

Skrilex

Banned
Well I went to the shop and found “a bar” and slipped it in there and discovered that my suspicions were correct, the bar cannot work if it’s straight, can’t even go into the flange unless bent. But, if bent too much then the bar wouldn’t go into the flare at all, or if bar was too big diameter. So, in practice I can see this being very frustrating. Seems kinda strange to me that this is a solution, seems more like a half solution that also relies on found objects that comply with several specific criteria. Well, interesting to say the least. Then there’s the issue that ifnthe rope is pulled with significant force I can imagine it twisting the bar in the tube which would pin the bar against the tire and prevent the rope from slipping inside it, which would render the process useless. I could also see the bar getting spun around, caught on a log or whatever and end up poking a big hole in the sidewall of the tire.

i can imagine that the reason they are on the rears only is if you were turning steering the bar would be more likely to slip, bend or fail as well.

Seems like a neat idea that I’m wondering if anyone ever actually used in the field, or even was trained for.

Attachments

alphaseventwo

Oh yeah, there's no doubt that the shackle was primarily used as a freight-train, flat-bed shipping tie down point- (just like the badge says if you still have one on your truck.) I've seen them used as such back in the '90's when long lines of hmmwvs were freight-trained down from Indiana to Texas. The whole 'self-recovery winch' concept is some old-school WW2 survival stuff that could/might work in an emergency- seriously not a first choice option. And yes, you have to bend that bar just right. Guy in the video I posted had it right, but didn't put any pressure on it. The rear-only application is because army says you only recover vehicles back the way they got in. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks