• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If you had to choose....

Stoner63

Which would you choose.

M35A2 $5,000 Really nice condition Local truck. Title for this state
M923A1 $6,000 decent condition - 13,500 miles, runs well not local 400 miles away - Title from another state

Fun truck - Parts availability

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would depend what you need it for.

sandcobra164

What are your plans for your "Fun Truck"? That factors in. The M35A2 is a nice truck as it can go down trails that normal vehicles can. You can do the same with the M923A1 and those trucks are awesome as well, they just require a little backing up and 3 to 6 point turns on some of the tighter trails. A Deuce is easier to get unstuck, a 5 ton that is stuck requires "Professional Help" alot of times. If you're interests are mostly highway cruising, I'd get the 5 ton. The M939 series trucks have decent insulation both in the cab and under the hood to help calm the noise down. The Deuce is a little on the loud side but they are normally good solid trucks. You also don't have to possess a CDL to drive a Deuce and depending on your insurance company, it's cheaper to insure a Deuce. Just like in life, there are Pro's and Con's to the decision. If I were strictly highway, I'd go with the 5 ton. Since I'm not, I like the Deuce.

TacticalDoc

M35A2s are drying up. 5 tons will be on the market for several more years. I suspect the 5 tons will be going for cheap at the end of 2014

BTW a friend of mine has a stoner 63

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 5 ton all day long and I had no problems with trails at Ga rally had deuce but love my 5 ton

Stoner63

Thanks for all the reply's. I'm leaning towards the 923A2. After looking at GL the prices on decent trucks are still pretty high. The M923a1 I'm looking at is 4 states away. It seems like its in good shape but I really don't want to drive 456 miles just to look at a truck I may or may not want. Being in Alabama I would like to find one around here with a title. The M35A2 I'm looking at is in good condition and I would mainly use it for around town, log roads and not mudding.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep looking don't get in a rush the right truck will find you mine did. It was only 25 miles from home and at the time was not actively looking for her.

mbehne

Keep looking don't get in a rush the right truck will find you mine did. It was only 25 miles from home and at the time was not actively looking for her.
I'll second that! I had looked for about 6-8 months via the net and paper truck shoppers. Thought I had one bought about 150 miles away and the owner wissed backwards at the last minute...3 weeks later I found one parked less than 10 miles from my house and was for sale. I had driven by the place 100's of times and had never seen it!

BTW never owned a 5 ton but have been around a few, nice trucks with plenty of plus's but as of now, I've got deuces.

Stoner63

TacticalDoc

I have one as well. Purchased back in 1977 for $5,000. It has not been out of the safe for years except for oil wipe down. I think I'm going to take Kenm352a's advice and just bide my time until the right one comes along. My son pointed out a good point this evening. He said, Dad, there are probable 100 of them in NG units all over Alabama and at some point they will come up for sale.

man2112

M35A2 by a long shot. It is big, but not too big. Also, you can find a great M923 any day of the week. Good M35A2s are quickly becoming harder and harder to come by as GL's supply of them is drying up, and MANY of them have been scrapped.

Stoner63

FlyingVan911,

That is what scares me the most. Most of them say trans shifts great of what have you. But I know what a cost getting a cars tranny overhauled. I cant even imagine what the Allison would cost.

TacticalDoc

TacticalDoc

I have one as well. Purchased back in 1977 for $5,000. It has not been out of the safe for years except for oil wipe down. I think I'm going to take Kenm352a's advice and just bide my time until the right one comes along. My son pointed out a good point this evening. He said, Dad, there are probable 100 of them in NG units all over Alabama and at some point they will come up for sale.
Good purchase and investment. Now its worth 10x more. The M923 is a better truck but they are more expensive to fix and run. The deuce is harder to get these days, easy to fix and less expensive. It's also multi fuel so you can use WMO. I have a Marine M923 but that's my bug out truck. It will have many upgrades like extra 80 gal fuel tank on the other side, transfer tank in the back, water supply and I'm looking to up armor the cab too. It has multiple LED lights on it and IR Lights all around when I drive with my NODs on (3rd gen PVS7s)...not as easy as you think to drive w NODs on.

Cab electronics.jpgFront LED.jpgget-attachment.jpg
it started out looking like the last picture but have added a roof and have a winch for it. I also have 3 spare tires w rims. With lockers in the back I pull out other trucks stuck in mud w/o any problem. So, it depends on what you want the truck for. Deuces were going for 2k about 5 years ago and now they are 2 - 3 times that. So, if you want an investment and classic military vehicle get the deuce. If you want the better truck get the 5 ton.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want a truck to just run around in, the Deuce makes more sense. The cost of ownership will be much lower.

And by the way guys just a heads up. This is a MV website, not a gun site. Keep the gun chatter on the down low.

Nationwide 63s

I'd go for the Deuce. It's closer to you, requires less two person lifts for maintenance and it's a better alarm clock for the neighbors!

5 ton is nice, but it's a hog. It hogs everything! Space, fuel, air, oil, money, etc.

I've driven and worked on both for years in the Army. If I had to choose between the two I'd still choose the Deuce for a work horse/farm truck. For a historical truck/toy 5 ton!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks