• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IL - M1009 Will Not Start

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put the shim back in the starter sounds slighly better but I don't think I would recommend this replacment starter to anyone when known good ones are out there.

Did not see any tags or labels on it but looks alont like the ones on eBay.

Owner wants me to drive it for a week and make sure it is reliable before giving it back to him.

Now to figure out my time and be fair for both of us.:???:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,,, "Fair"........................such a short word for a WHOLE lot of work!! Congrats Art!! Enjoyed the thread and learned some too!! Maybe ya should just ask for a "Pay raise" LOL THANKS for sharing!! and Merry Christmas!!

cucvrus

I think you need a thin shim on the starter. It is slightly stuck out to long in the flywheel after the engine starts. Just an observation from experience. Worth a try. And make sure the support braket is in place and tight. So the starter is not twisting and making that engagement sound. I hope that helps. Good Luck and Happy New Year.

48cj2a

Swapped the 24v starter out with a new Autolite 12v. The solenoid wire pulled out of a improperly installed butt connector so had to replace that.

Fabbed up a new dual battery bracket out of angle iron, drilled and mounted it to the rear CUCV tray.

20160104_141350.jpg 20160104_141334.jpg

Reconfigured the battery cable to 12v.

it was about 29 degrees this morning. Did a 20 count on the manual Glow Plug Button and started and died. Did another and it fired right up and idled good.

No more starter engagement noise.

Shut it off to glue rear view mirror bracket on. Went inside to eat some lunch. Came out (did not climb in the cab) did a 15 count and it fired right up and again idled good.

Going to drive it in to work tomorrow so will see how it starts around 0600 when its colder that a Witches...

Still need to come up with a front starter bracket for a non GR starter.

48cj2a

28 degrees this morning...Did a 20 count on the manual glow plug button this
morning and it fired right up. Letting it warm up now before I leave for work.

Last edited:

48cj2a

28 degrees this morning...Did a 20 count on the manual glow plug button this
morning and it fired right up. Letting it warm up now before I leave for work.

26 degrees this morning...Did a 12 count and she hit but didn't start, did another 12 count and it fired right up so I think we are good except for getting a starter bracket.

48cj2a

It was a balmy 3 degrees this morning...you know the weather when your underwear just sticks to your butt crack (not really).

Did a 12 count on the manual Glow Plug Button and it fired and died. Did two more cycles and it fired right up and rattled but it did start. Whoo Hoo!

As soon as I can get a front bracket on the starter, I think I can call it good!

48cj2a

No, I had posted over on Diesel Place a few times and another member said that is what he was doing in Ohio which is close to our weather temp region, so I started trying it instead of a 20 count.

I probably need to do some searching and see what others were doing for manual GP switches.

Is it any warmer out your way today? Its a brisk one at work today...

tim292stro

If you watch the antenna climber video, the GP card will do between no-glow and 30 seconds of glow depending on the block temperature.

If the engine hasn't been run in a while (cold block) these rough number should work:

• Figure ~30 seconds if it's 30°F ambient or less - 60 seconds of after glow (at 50% duty on/off, about eleven 3-second cycles),
  • ~20 seconds if it's around 50°F ambient - 35 seconds of after glow (at 50% duty on/off, about six 3-second cycles),
  • ~15 seconds if it's around 70°F - 10 seconds of after glow (at 50% duty on/off, about three 3-second cycles)
  • ~10 seconds if it's 90°F, no afterglow.

If the engine was recently stopped after warming up (gas station, convenience store, picking up kids, etc...), no glow or afterglow on restart.

cucvrus

26 degrees this morning...Did a 12 count and she hit but didn't start, did another 12 count and it fired right up so I think we are good except for getting a starter bracket.
I would not even attempt to start that CUCV without the starter support bracket in place. You are asking for problems. In the cold it is 10 fold with the strain all going into the starter bolts. You will learn quick if you snap a bolt off flush with the block and chew up a good flex-plate. It's your truck do as you wish. i wanted to give fair warning. I found starter bolts laying in my driveway several times and was quick to find the one in my fleet that lost it. Most times I got a call several days later from a friend that was over dropping off the core starter for the rebuilt one I sold them. They told me the starter was grinding. They did not think you needed that little bracket and it is to hard to get back on. OK. Changing flex-plates is easier? But they did save the $50. labor I charge to put a starter on. Huge savings for them. Just fair warning. Good Luck.

48cj2a

I would not even attempt to start that CUCV without the starter support bracket in place. You are asking for problems. In the cold it is 10 fold with the strain all going into the starter bolts. You will learn quick if you snap a bolt off flush with the block and chew up a good flex-plate. It's your truck do as you wish. i wanted to give fair warning. I found starter bolts laying in my driveway several times and was quick to find the one in my fleet that lost it. Most times I got a call several days later from a friend that was over dropping off the core starter for the rebuilt one I sold them. They told me the starter was grinding. They did not think you needed that little bracket and it is to hard to get back on. OK. Changing flex-plates is easier? But they did save the $50. labor I charge to put a starter on. Huge savings for them. Just fair warning. Good Luck.
Sent you a PM...

48cj2a

Worked out a trade with CUCVRUS on a starter bracket - installed it today and all is good.

Fired up today - no problems!

I consider this now fixed!

48cj2a

Strangely, Did not have any brake lights today. Quick check of the fuse was good. ended up being the brake light switch so I took it appart and one of the contacts terminals had actually broken in two.

Had a spare double two terminal switch (probably for a cruise control vehicle) so back in buisness.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks