• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm looking at getting the big bad 10ton. . .

hurstssamx

Banned
I would like to get the 10 ton tractor. . . what all do i need to know about this fine beast?

I would like to swap out the 903 V-8 Cummins known to fail for the KT-Cummins known for relaibility and lengendary power. . . .

than swap out the 2 stick trans for the road ranger 13spd OD tran's. . .

run dual stainless stack's up the side of the cab, than run dual stainless air cleaner's on each fender like the old KW's 8) . . .

you know update it a bit than dress it up it's going to get noticed anyhow !

the plan:

DRIVELINE:
KT-635 Cummins diesel ,13spd road ranger .62:1 final OD.

PAINT:

Red Camo: paint job for the body.

Red : drive shaft's,diff's ect. . .

Black: chassie,and axles. . .

black soft top with red stitching. . .

Dual 6 inch stainless stack's. . .

Dual stainless air cleaners. . .

Have Rim's chrome dipped or Painted RED. . .

INTERIOR:

use black as the main color and detail it with red and crome trim and detailing. . .

Black seat's red stitching . . .

Mike

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, barf, another bling bling truck. Just get in line behind us and paint it OD green like everyone else, and you won't get latrine duty next Steel Soldiers rally...

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Seriously if you have an M123A1 available I am sure someone here would want to make it restored to it's legenday military pulling legacy.

Go find an old Kenworth Logging truck to do those mods to it and chances are it already has your Cummins and Roadranger on it as well as at least a Lubrifiner and crome air cleaner

You could still show us pictures of it and be welcome here we just like OD

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: I

Regarding your plan - please tell us how you intend to power the front axle? Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, please tell us what ten-ton has a 903 Cummins in it? The Cummins under the hood of mine - and every other diesel-powered ten-ton I've seen is a V8-300 of 785 cid. I've been around easily 30-40 of these, and have yet to see one with an engine failure.

Regards,
David Doyle

alphadeltaromeo

RE: Re: I

Oh....and welcome to the site lol. You must be feeling the love today from all the warm welcomes :roll: hehe

Sounds like you have some real ambitions with the truck. Why the bling? Considering that there aren't that many out there, why not restore it to orig and really enjoy it. Then again, if you decided to go the bling route, have fun with it and make sure you take lots of pics. Additionally if you do go the bling route, make sure it's not tacky bling...make it a really quality job :wink:

Again, welcome to the site!

Andy

hurstssamx

Banned
So stock it stay's but when the 903 spin's a rod bearing you going run to madison to tow it for me ?

In my opion that engine was not a good idea. . . the KT-cummins with a 13spd Ove drive ain't going to bother anything it'll be under hood under cab nobody would know it's there. . .

I did find a dealer that swap's out the V-8 903 for I-6 300hp cummins basicly it's the 5ton's 250 cranked up 50hp. . .

oshkosh still sell's them 903 intact. . . they just don't offer a warrenty on the engine but do on the rest of the truck whitch i think is pointless the 903 is the only weak link in the 10 tonner. . . I'm not going to be some place i shouldn't be and have this boat anchor of and engine fail. . .

I had i restored the truck to factory and never opened the hood nobody would have a clue whats powering it . . .

I found about 12 of these truck's for sale starting at $27,950 up to $40,000. . .

Not what i'm looking to spend i would like to find a wreck for about $5,000 - $7,500 with like new tires as there about $1,200 I want aggressive tread's that are almost New. . .

Mike

dma251

ooohhhhh!!! I just love a good public flaming! :deadhorse:

I've been waiting for one of these since the car-crushing lambasting I took a year ago!

I'm praying to the forum gods for a good healthy outlet for everyone's pent-up wintertime aggressions! :wink: :wink:

Sadly, it's bound to run off poor hurstssamx, but I think with his plans he's headed for another forum anyway. Good luck hurstsamx!

hurstssamx

Banned
dma251 said:
threads about bastardizing nice military trucks don't seem to get much traction 'round these parts.....

Might wanna talk to the guy that owns this truck...
that truck is just plain F-in stupidity :shock: . . . .I would never do a hack job like that ever :twisted: . . .

MIKE !

hurstssamx

Banned
the 903 Cummins diesel is the V-300 aka 785CID V-8. . . better get your self educated on your engine knowage . . .

Mike 903 is just a number man not HP or CID related the KT-450 up to KT-600 KT-19 KTA-19 all the same 1150CID in line 6 turbo diesel. . . just had 3 factory power setting's. . .

KT-Cummins:

stage 1 450hp. 1400tq
stage2 525hp. 1550tq
stage3 600hp 1650tq<< accually 635.2hp@2150rpm, 1735.6tq@1375rpm. . .

903 Cummins:
V300=300hp@3,000rpm non turbo. . .
VT903= 450hp@2800rpm turbo charged. . .
VTA903= 500-550hp@3,000rpm turbo charged after cooled. . .

all the same 785CID V-8. . . but i'm sure your thinking i'm some " stupid kid " !

I can't afford to have this go down. . .
Go ahead get pissy with me i don't care i ain't going no place i'm about as stubbern as the good old m123! her self. . .

Mike

spicergear

It's not of the VT 903's. It's a V8-300 like mentioned above. The tranny and transfercase are bolted together in one unit and share one of the main thru shafts. So, again...as mentioned above, how to power the front axle. Also, that's a nice overdrive but do you think a truck with 10.11:1 double and triple reductions axles is going to like being spun up when stock max speeds were 30-40mph? Awesome truck, yes...but hot rodding a 5 ton would be easier.

AMGeneral

Ok,Having 2 of there already,I'm gonna interject my 2cents here. First of all,the diesel version of the M123 10 tons use a Cummins V8-300, 785 cubic inch non turbo V8 diesel not the junk V903(unless someone has swapped it out). Secondly the 2 stick Mack trans incorporates the drop box on the rear to supply power for the 6 wheel drive,so unless you install a transfer case behind the 13 speed,You won't have 6 wheel drive at all.
Lastly the top speed of the 10 ton trucks is 43.9 mph on a good day with a tail wind and going downhill,so even with a O/D trans,youe engine is gonna have to be able to turn about 2600 to 3000 rpms to manage even that top speed.Plus with these series of trucks rapidly disappearing (plus parts are a nightmare to get if you can get them) why would you want to ruin a perfectly restorable vehicle by trying to "Trick it out".I haven't even mentioned the inability to get tires for it,1400 X 24s are next to impossible to get,unless you go with "Crane Service" tires(which go for about $1000 apiece).

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Alright guys, let's all take a deep breath here and talk about this like we have some common courtesy. Mike is brand new to the SS family and may not know the passion that some members have for restoring and preserving trucks. There are other SS members who enjoy modding the heck out of their trucks. Just take a look at the deuce mod and hot-rod forum.

Mike, welcome to the site. You will find that there is a wealth of knowledge here about all kinds of trucks. We all do our best to get along here and help each other out. We try not to flame or antagonize each other. We do ask for new members to show some respect for their site elders. David Doyle for example is one of the most well-published, well-versed and well-read MV authors in the land. He knows his 10-tons too. So does AMGeneral. Just do lots of searching on the site and read up on all of the previous posts. That will give you a broad overview on what goes on here and what kind of vehicle you are talking about modding. In the end, it is your truck and you may do what you want with it, but be forewarned that if you ask for info on how to mod a uncommon truck, you will get some heated replies.

hurstssamx

Banned
steelsoldiers said:
Alright guys, let's all take a deep breath here and talk about this like we have some common courtesy. Mike is brand new to the SS family and may not know the passion that some members have for restoring and preserving trucks. There are other SS members who enjoy modding the heck out of their trucks. Just take a look at the deuce mod and hot-rod forum.

Mike, welcome to the site. You will find that there is a wealth of knowledge here about all kinds of trucks. We all do our best to get along here and help each other out. We try not to flame or antagonize each other. We do ask for new members to show some respect for their site elders. David Doyle for example is one of the most well-published, well-versed and well-read MV authors in the land. He knows his 10-tons too. So does AMGeneral. Just do lots of searching on the site and read up on all of the previous posts. That will give you a broad overview on what goes on here and what kind of vehicle you are talking about modding. In the end, it is your truck and you may do what you want with it, but be forewarned that if you ask for info on how to mod a uncommon truck, you will get some heated replies.
Oh I fully exspected this But i ahve done the research as far as what engine tran's and T-case i need to make this whole thing work. . .

Mike

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were no trucks re-powered with the 903? I remember a Mil-Veh mag article years ago about the M123A1C's in use hauling tanks and the article said they were re-powered from the v8-300 to a 903 and had Williams exhaust brakes.

I have also seen other M123 owners in the past state that their M123 had a 903 Cummins.

hurstssamx, Don't you already have the M123A1C? While I am with everyone else on this site (it is a site kind of dedicated to the preservation and restoration of military vehicles), you can do whatever you like with your truck. The air cleaners, stacks, chrome wheels and red-camo is not my taste, but it's a free country. Have fun with it!

hurstssamx

Banned
This Truck has So Much to offer. . . if people would quit Being Cheap and setit up the right way. . .

My dad has a land scaping & excavating company he has built many army truck's, he has a fleet of 5 truck's that he updated and won't get rid of. . .

Army Fleet:
1-10 ton with a KT-600 Cummins, 18spd DOD twinstick, and 16.00R24 28ply tires 45mph.

2-5ton M818's 315hp mack engine's,7spd OD mack trans, and 12R24.5 16ply tires dualed 68mph.

2-2.5 ton M35's 8.3L cummins diesel's,6spd OD,and 11.00R20 16ply tires . 66mph.

The 2.5t's are maxed at 68mph the 5T's could be ran out 70-72mph but he goverened them down. . . the 5T's are ste at 68mph the 2.5T's are set at 66mph. . .all 5 trucks have 10 tires Non of them are super singled. . .

If i hadn't had a falling out with him I would have went to him with this swap as he has done one simliar to it. . .

18spd DOD twinstick: 9spd with .76:1 OD + 2spd auxy with .85:1 OD = .61:1 final OD. . .
with in put 2,000rpm out put 2,780rpm. . . yeas you hit 3 gear boxes but the Drive shafts hit the diffs at 2,780Rpm . . . the KT will run 2000rpm all day long even hit 2150 for a short burst here and there. . .How come he didn't catch any grief but i do ? ? ?

Now is the old V-300 going to hold 2780rpm ? as there is no OD in the quadraplex it's 1:1 in 20th gear. . .

Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks